RG4EXFM1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG4EXFM1

I generally play hard rock or heavy metal and the guitar is visually suited for that style but the pups are meh. I have it coming through a Marshall MG30DFX combo amp(meh as well), but the pickups are pretty muddy. I find that harmonics of any type(tap, pinch, or natural), don't quite leap out. The pickups are petty noisy too, especially the single coil in the middle, and even though that is a pretty Standard trait of single coil pups, these are particularly noisier than the rest. As for everything else, like legato or staccato playing, they bridge and neck pickup, respectively, handle that pretty well.

Its serves kinda well to hard rock and heavy metal, but pickup swaps are pretty much a must if you want better tone out of it. I also own a little Fender Frontman 15W, its pretty good for a little, cheap, combo amp. A Schecter Tempest Custom, and recently purchased a Charvel So-Cal, Style 1 2H. I've been playing for a little over 2 years now but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I describe it. If it were stolen or lost, I would like it back, but I wouldn't be a big baby about it. Though I do have my problems with it, there is still something about it that makes it a joy to play, the neck is extremely comfortable though I personally prefer chunkier necks like the Schecter and Charvel necks due to my larger hands, its still a joy to play and once I get the pickups swapped, I definitely will enjoy it even more.

I've played live with this guitar a fair amount of times and it's been good to me each time, just the bridge is god awful so I never used it after the first few times I played live. I would definitely bring a backup(no offense, but you're an idiot if you don't, what are you gonna do, tell everyone to wait once your string breaks!? ) The finish is beautiful but durable, I've dropped it three times and I've checked thoroughly and there are still no scratches or dings on it.

This is probably my biggest problem with the guitar, definitely a fair amount of problems with the factory setup. I'll first point out that the bridge and middle pickup were freakishly high. I don't really dig in that much with my pick and I still wound up hitting the pickups like crazy. Then I had a problem with dead notes. Frets 7-11 on the low E would buzz something fierce, the worst was the 12th fret on the same string, which would just die, there goes checking for proper intonation. I adjusted the action but it still didn't help, so I filed down the fretwire on the 13th fret of the low E and it sort of fixed my problem. Then the worst involved the bridge. Don't get me wrong, I love Floyd Rose style bridges, but the Edge III has horrible tuning stability, and sorts of dive-bombs or pull-ups and I gotta fix it again, any high bends, same thing. To add to this problem, when I got the guitar, THE BRIDGE WAS ALREADY DIPPED INTO THE BODY OF THE GUITAR. I just wound up giving it to guitarcenter which costs me $70. The bridge got so problemtaic that I just wound up hard-tailing it.

In December of 2008, I got this guitar as a Christmas present and thoroughly enjoyed it at first, but problems began to surface months in. But first, I'm not sure what year it was made but it was made in Indonesia so its an import model. It has a 24 fret Rosewood fretboard with sharktooth inlays and boasts an extremely thin(Wizard II) 3 piece maple neck, as is kind of Standard for many Ibanez models. A flashier Strat style basswood body with a blue, flamed-maple top. 5-way pickups selector, 1 volume and 1 tone. It came with an Ibanez Edge III, floating bridge and locking nut, stock Ibanez tuners and pickup in an H-S-H configuration. Stock Ibanez strings, I believe they are 9-42 gauges so they are pretty damn thin. It came with a few allen wrenches, an extra spring, and a really crappy cable.

dementiacaptain
    HALOMUFFIN
    dementiacaptain wrote: wow people review the hell out of ibanez. i dont get it even the prestiges ive played leave me feeling like whoever bought these guitars overpayed. but i guess im a beast of a different nature.
    The problem for me is that they all feel the same, all you get is a change of pickups and trem, if any. Everything else remains the same, generally.
    TheBigDirty716
    Yea you can find better guitars out there. but not for this price. this guitar is perfect if you're an intermediate player who doesn't wanna spend 1000 dollars on a well made guitar.