RG4EXQM1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG4EXQM1

I play mostly Progressive Metal like Dream Theater and Rush. The guitar can get all of the tones you want. I only have one problem with it. The Bridge Humbucker is a little too weak for my tasting. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt amp. The only effects I use are on the multi-effect processor on the amplifier. It's not too noisy, The bridge screams the way you would want it to. There is no buzz or hiss in it. The Bridge gives you a nice bright sound, while the Neck and Middle give you a rich full sound. The kind of sounds the guitar can make are whatever you can put your mind to. It's good for leads mostly, but you can get that nice crisp blues tone if you wanted to.

I play Progressive Metal and it is a pretty good match. I've been playing guitar since the spring of 2009 so around 4 years. I own at least 7 other guitars. A Ibanez RG570, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender 12 String Acoustic, two Fender Stratocasters, and a Ibanez Destroyer/Iceman hybrid. If the guitar was to be stolen or lost I would try to buy it again even though it is a discontinued model. I love the reliability of it. I hate nothing about it but I do dislike the pickups. My favorite feature on the guitar is the Edge III bridge. I compare it all the time to my other guitars pretty much all of them. I chose this one because the rest of the guitars around the same price range were nothing compared to it. I only wish it had a nice set of DiMarzio pickups from stock. I later installed a Super Distortion to mine though.

YouTube preview picture

I've never used the guitar live but I think it would hold up pretty well. It doesn't go out of tune easily. The hardware will defiantly make it through the night. The strap buttons won't give out. You can depend on it, but I would never play a gig without a backup. The finish looks the same just as the day I bought it, it won't wear off and is made to last.

The guitar was very well set up from the factory. The action was nice and tight. It felt as if I was playing on butter. The pickups were finely adjusted. I made some tweaks to them later on because the pickups can be muddy under drop tuning's. The top is bookmatched very well. It has a nice distinct look by the way it fits the Bridge. The only flaws I've seen with the guitar were the pickups, but it's only because of my opinion about them.

The guitar was made in Indonesia in the year 2010. It has 24 Jumbo Frets, Laminate top with Quilted Maple. The wood of the body is Basswood while the neck woods Rosewood on top of 3 piece maple. The finish is a transparent grey burst on top of quilted maple. The shape of the body is an average RG shape with an Edge III bridge and Passive electronics. The controls are given as 1 Volume, 1 Tone and a 5 way switch. The pickup configuration is Humbucker Bridge, Single Coil Middle, and Humbucker Neck. The model of pickups are Ibanez INF4, INFS3 and INF3. The tuners are non locking with a locking nut made by Ibanez.

Quiffmiester
    The quilted top looks pimp! I completely agree with your conclusion: the cheaper RGs feel much nicer to play than others at the same price point. IDK if you're thinking about cutting down on your guitar collection or not, but don't let your RG570 go if you are!
    MilesTeg
    I picked up one of these used on the cheap just because I have an eye for deals. The edge 3 trem had been modified with a floyd upgrade block. The bridge and neck pickups had been replaced with Dimarzios. I've owned many guitars and still do. This is currently my favorite. It plays and sounds great with the upgrades. One quirk is the tremolo is very sensitive. I believe Ibanez recommends .09 guitar strings and I use .10 You really have to spend some time (or have a pro) set up the trem correctly with the correct height and spring tension. Once you do, you will be rewarded. In terms of trem arm tension, there is a small set screw in the trem block perpendicular to the where the trem arm sits. This can be tightened to keep the arm from flopping around.
    jeff.estep.9
    My tremelo arm seems to wobble and frustrates the h out of me. i took it to GC and they are simply ignorant i guess, they go :Yeah maybe its supposed to be like that" I go What? Does anybody know if the arm supposed to be a snap in or screw in, and should it have so much play? I tried to tighten the allen screw in the back to no avail. Also I have an Ibanez S model and the tremelo arm has two teflon rings around it and it stays tight. But that one is to big in diamater. Damn I am tempted to buy a jem.
    HGaniere
    I'd never give up my RG570. It's actually my favorite guitar that I own. What I find funny is that the RG4EXQM1 is cheaper than a few Gio's.
    tatwolf667
    Reply to jeff.estep.9- you need to replace the bushings for the bar arm-if you still have the guitar or the problem. I just saw how old the post is.