RG520QS review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG520QS

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: local Pawn Shop

I play mostly Metal and Classic rock, this guitar suits my style 1000 times better then the Jackson (which was a very nice guitar itself). As for amps and effects right now I'm using a Line 6 Spider II amp, with no other effects at this time. This guitar is as quiet as they get with passive pick-ups. The Ibanez Edge tremolo is ludicrisly stable which allows for some crazy Tremolo use with no worries about going out of tune.

I play Metal all kinds of metal, as well as classic rock, and blues. This guitar is a great match for me on all fronts. I have been playing for over 15 years. My other current gear consists of a Strat parts-caster that I built, a Jackson Dinky, an LTD EC-100 (a 2001 before they got crappy), a Line 6 Spider II amp (best little amp on the market IMHO). I asked all the right questions before I bought it, and knew exactly what I was getting. If it were lost or stolen... Well I don't know how I could lose it lol... As far as if it were stolen well dude better run fast run hard and never look back, I would kill. But in reality I would buy another one if I could find one, I would think about getting an Ibanez Prestige if I couldn't find one. I love everything about this guitar the neck is beautiful, the body is light weight, the pick-ups are great, the Edge tremolo is flawless. I compared it with a tonne of other guitars including Gibsons, Jacksons, ESP's, and Fender American Deluxes (Teles and Strats), and few other "boutique" guitars... This Ibanez surpasses everyone of them in every way. The only thing I wish it had were a set of EMG's (81/85's) instead of the V7/ V8's (even though they sound great for stock passives).

Yes this guitar will withstand live playing, no questions don't even have to test it. The Ibanez RG's are among the most professionally touted guitars on the market.. Don't believe me watch any live metal shows, go out to one of the multitude of metal "fests" and start counting the Ibanez RG's being played.. There's a reason they are so common in the metal industry they are among the best of the best of the best for reliability, and sonic presence. I would 100% depend on it, I would of course bring My LTD EC series as a back-up... But that's just incase of string breakage. The finish on mine has some chips and dings and the lot.. But again it was abused like a red-headed step child before I got it.

I can't speak for how it was setup from the factory as I got it used. When I got it it was in need of some serious TLC. The strings were rusted, the action was set way to low, and they had messed with the floyd so it was impossible to tune to standard. It has a few battle wounds but all in all it is a very sturdy guitar. All the flaws I have seen on this guitar were both easily corrected and a result of poor ownership, nothing to do with Ibanez at all. After a clean-up, setup and new strings this is the most amazing axe I have ever played hands down and I have played ALOT of different high-end guitars over the past 15 years.

I just got what I believe is a 2001 RG520QS, it was made in Japan. I got it used at a local pawn shop in a trade for a Jackson DX10D. It has 24 nicely dressed frets on a nicely figured rosewood fretboard. I believe the frets were listed as "jumbo", although they do feel much smaller then that. It's a solid Mahogany body with a quilt Sapele top in a really really deep transparent Blue (almost black). It has a wizard 1 neck, which is a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and a bubinga skunk stripe. The body style is a classic Ibanez RG body. It has two passive humbuckers an Ibanez V7 in the neck and a V8 at the bridge. The Bridge is an Ibanez Edge Floyd Rose double locking tremolo. The controls are nice and simple 1 volume and 1 tone pot. The tuners are the same high quality tuners installed on any Japanese Ibanez... As I got this in a trade I didn't get any accessories.

coldandhomeless
    i have two of this finally. my favorite guitar so far. i got ten rgs, 5 from japan. the 520qs is saweeeet!
    GunLeatherGuy
    seanbabs, You need to learn more or just listen. All Ibanez's were made in Japan at one time. Korean production came later. The RG520 are all made in Japan and these guitars are what the Prestige models came from. This guitar rocks.....Ive had many Prestige models, inc. a 3120 and this guitar is just as nice. To all of you MIJ IB Newbies..... these are the nicest guitars you will find for the money. On par with MIJ ESP's, Nicer than NIJ Jacksons *which are also stellar*... Best bang for the buck you will find anywhere. Eric
    GunLeatherGuy
    Also the guy in the first review has one thing very wrong. The Edge trem is the epitome of stable D.L. trems. When properly setup the Edge will stay in tune FOREVER! No matter what you do. They require none of the high maintenance he insinuates. Its like his review reads well, but he really doesnt know the guitar! Make sense. Still a killer guitar.