RG550 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG550

Purchased from: Marcus's Music, Belfast

I like playing along to Satriani using my Marshall AVT 150 with its built in chorus effect. The floyd rose and the amazing action really helps with my style. It has a full sound with top volume and if you turn down the volume knob you get a bright sound. Obviously with the floyd rose there's going to be real problems with tuning, changing strings, action and detuning (which I still don't know how to do after a few years of playing this Ibanez).

I compared this to a Fender Fat Strat as I had to choose between them. I wanted a guitar with a humbucker. The Ibanez has two while the Fat Strat has one. I also really like Satriani's style as I figured if he likes Ibanez's and floyd rose's then I will to! May sound a bit stupid but I feel I definitely made the right choice!

I've used this guitar for a few gigs and it's been great. My worst nightmare is that a string will break during a song because it takes ages to get another string back on and tune up. Fortunately that hasn't happened yet. So I would bring a backup just incase. The finish can be chipped off the edges but nothing too big.

As far as I know the guitars top notch. Just don't mess too much with the floyd rose and you won't need to worry.

With 24 frets, an amazing fretboard, tremendous action and a floyd rose I bet anyone could be the next Satriani or Vai with this beast. It has a 5-way selector, one volume and one tone knob. The pickup config is H/S/H ie. V8/S1/V7 Ibanez pickups. Basswood neck with some strange sparkly finish. The floyd rose of course has the nut lock and the bridge locks with fine tuners.

jeff_7676
    ixion posted recently so I will too...I got my rg550 in 94 it was used 90...I played for two years and sold it to a friend of mine under the terms I could buy it back at the same price...oddly this guy was a really trustworthy friend and stable...I gave him a deal 150USD...anyway he moved to san diego about three weeks ago...i went out there and got my ibanez back...ten years later...I dont think he played more than a few times...he was kind of embarrassed...now I got it I adjusted it a bit...and it rocks...I also play 76 strat...and gibson lp...I love all these guitars...but the ibanez has the floyd rose...which is cool...I never whammy the strat cause it will go out of tune...but the rg550 still kicks ass after all these years...mmm
    dxtrs200sx
    i just bought a used 550 on ebay and it looks like it has been to hell and back and since there's no "RG series" on the head i guess it is very veeeery old but it still sounds great and now i think about doing a new paintjob and replace the floyd rose with a fixed bridge cause i already have a rg 470 with trem ... good idea?