RG550 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG550

Purchased from: Local guitar store

The Ibanez is made for metal, with the two humbuckers it has, it has a very distinctive sound like all ibanez's do compared to any other guitar. I play it through a Marshall tsl amp, which gives it a nice 'crunch' to the sound. I have had a problem with the pickup selector and got that sorted out but otherwise the sound is amazing both clean and distorted.

I play metal and hard rock so with the Ibanez its a perfect match. If it got stolen, I would definitely replace it or I could hunt down the guy who stole it, either way ;) It looks very good all up, I like the color (black) and I would not trade it for anything, its definitely a keeper.

Its reliable enough to go to a gig with, because I've played it countless times and I have never seemed to have a problem with it failing on me. Its been around for about 16 years and in pretty good condition its got a few chipped paint from it but that's all my fault I guess. So it is a very reliable guitar to have,

The guitar body is one of my favorites because of the maple neck the number of frets it has, and the low unique action which I haven't seen on any other guitar. The pickup selector had some problems changing to the bridge pickup, but I got that sorted out, and there is a bit of noise when changing the selector, the volume control is loose and volume changes alot unless its just my Ibanez.

I have the 1993 model, made in Japan with the American pickups (V1,S1,V2) The guitar has 24 frets, and the good thing about the RG550 is that they have carved a bit of wood out, right where the 24'th fret is so you can play all the way up the neck with you hand sitting comfortably. Its got a smooth maple neck with extremely low action which makes it a very fast guitar. It also has the Floyd Rose system which has its advantages and disadvantages, the advantages being you can play as much with the whammy without having to re-tune it, the disadvantage being if you want to play in drop D for example it takes alot of work tuning it there.