RG550EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG550EX

Purchased from: Andertons - Guildford

This guitar suits just about every style. I play mostly hardcore/emo like Atreyu and Funeral For A Friend. The sound is so versatile you can make it sing anything! I use it with a Digitech Metal Master and its so heavy it hurts. This pedal really brings out the pickups. The neck pickup gives a very bright sound allowing chunky palm muting and great solos. The bridge pickup has more bass to it and is also excellent for soloing. On clean the pickups give you great acoustic sounds. There is a bit of background noise with the metal master running with the guitar but nothing annoying! Pinched Harmonics fly out of this guitar!

This guitar is great for any style of music, I would recommend it to anyone wanting to play Hardcore to Metal because it has the look and the sound for it. I have been playing a good 3 years now and I have a Digitech XMM and a Marshall MG30DFX. If it was stolen I would murder the motherf--r and definantly buy another one. My favourite feature is the overall look of the guitar, its sexy but dangerous looking too! I could only wish that it had EMG's and possible led's in the frets!

I would (already have) gig with this guitar because the sound and look is too good to pass up! But never play this without a backup, if a string snaps on this guitar you are screwed! The guitar is generally very durable but unfortunatly I have managed to put a few dents in the paintwork. Unavoidable on any guitar really! The finish it very strong and hasnt shown any wear after a year of solid use. But the sweat from your hands is enough to take some of the colour off the bridge!

The guitar came very well set up, at first I had no idea what anything was. It wasn't until my guitar teacher helped me out with everything that I understood my guitar. Anyway the pickups were at a fine height to begin with but I have since adjusted them slightly. The guitar was sold with the locking tuners undone so it came out of tune quite easily at first. No flaws were included on this guitar!

I'm not really too sure in which the year it was made. I bought I a year ago this month and the guy said this model has been discontinued so I'm guessing its not a new model. The guitar has a beautiful neck, its a 1pc maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and it boasts 24 jumbo frets. Also it has the locking tuners so trem use is so easy. The body is basswood so its quite weighty but nothing compared to a Strat! The bridge is a licesced floyd rose (not an original but hey). The pickups are V7(n) S1(m) V8(b). They sound awesome actually for quite cheap pickups. You only get one volume know and one tone knob so it really simple to get great sounds! Also you have the 5 way pickup selector. When I bought it I got the hard case and a whole set of alan keys! Of course they give you the tremolo arm too! My guitars colour is Galaxy Black (sparkly black). The scratchplate and the fret inlays are Copper coloured and look great!