RG560 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG560

Purchased from: eBay

I play a mix of metal, rock, and classical. But I can hear a lot of other influences too in there. Those are the main 3 anyway. Right now it just gets used through either a Vox Valvetronix for practice or a Fender Champ 25SE. I based the sound off of the Fender and the two pedals, a BBE Screamer and a 1980 MXR Distortion+. Clean, it was a little bassy. Didn't really have a nice rounded bottom end or a nice top end, but I know that's because of the body wood. Basswood is really mid heavy and tends to be slightly muddy at times. Not really the pickups fault. Distortion is where it sounds great and I mainly play with distortion anyway so this is good. Using the Bridge humbucker, it has a great growl to it. Great note definition, but it can blur slightly under the highest gain levels. But that's not bad at all for stock pickups. I don't play with that much, but I gave it a good go when testing. A nicely balanced pickup to my ears. Singles sound alright, but not awesome. They're more suited to an overdrive, not full on distortion. But I think that about singles, so that's just me.

I play a mix of stuff and it works well for me. I've been playing 13 years and it was bought after I sold an SG, so in a way, I guess it's a replacement for that guitar in a physical sense, not a sound sense. I love the 80's vibe it has. It plays great and stock, sounds awesome. I hope I can keep ahold of it. I've never seen another lefty before. I really can't find much I wish it had. Maybe a device that could automatically restring and tune the double locking tremolo in like 5 seconds. But aside from that, nothing really. I've played this thing every day since I've got it, save for one. And that was 2 months ago. I really got it because I had money in paypal and I knew these were somewhat rare. I love it and I see it being a part of my rig for as long as I'm not dead.

It's 24 years old and looks like it's only a year or so old. Finish is still perfect, there's no real oxidation of the metal, everything still functions as it should. No warping either. There is some wear showing on the metal and some of the frets are worn higher up. Definitely shows this was built for shred. Someone probably tapped the hell out of it. I'd use it live. I'm trying to rebuild a gigging rig and this has a place in it. Can't comment on it's performance during a show though. And I'd have a few other guitars around. Not so much as backups. They can be backups, but more for different tones and tuning. But with any Floyd or Floyd equivalent, you always want to have a backup with you. One broken string means it's done until it's restrung.

I'm 24 years late to tell you how the factory had it. I had to adjust it to my preferences, but I do that to every guitar. No flaws I could find. There is a chip out of the wood in the top, but hell it's from '87. It happens. The routing for the Bridge is perfect too, not like on some cheaper guitars today. And there really is no rust on it either. It's been well taken care of before I got it.

This guitar was made in Japan in 1987. It's a superstrat style guitar with a basswood body and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has 24 frets of I'm guessing medium jumbo size. Hardware consists of an Edge double locking tremolo, decent sized strap buttons, and tuning machines. Online info leads me to think they're Gotoh, but there is no marking on them. So I can't really say on that. It has two single coils, in the neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. I know they're just the stock pickups, I'm thinking IBZV1 singles and V2 humbucker, but I might be remembering wrong. It has a master tone and volume and a 5 way switch. And something else of note, I think it has a stereo jack already installed.

MaggaraMarine
    livingdisection wrote: I was very impressed with the stock pup's, and the playability is out of this world. Ive got a '90, and its the only one of my guitars with stock pup's.
    Why do people change pickups so much!!?? If you don't like the sound of guitar why have you bought it?