RG560 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG560

Purchased from: Rock Shop

With my minor pickup modifications, it suits just about any style. I have played everything from Metallica to Rush to Pearl Jam to Zeppelin to Skynyrd - sat in with Jazz bands, Christian Rock, and Blues... It can adapt to anything... But really sound is in your fingers. I have used a Marshall JCM 900 for the last 20 years with various effects. Currently I use it with a Boss GT8 or GT10 (I go back and forth depending on what I am playing... Have created great Metal sounds on the GT8 and great clean Jazz sounds on the GT10.

I have and do play just about every style. Currently I play a lot of Lincoln Brewster stuff (Eric Johnson sort of style) and I get an awesome sound. I have a lot of great guitars in my arsenal including a Nuno Bettencourt, Reb Beach, PRS, Fender HMM USA Strat, and a JS1000 but I always play this beat up RG560. I love it so much I am having a Luthier build me a custom one using the same specs just so I can have a brand new one to play.

I have abused this guitar through over 20 years of playing. It flew through a kickdrum once and into a Marshall 4x12 another time when I flung it around my neck and still plays and sets up perfectly. It has been knocked off of risers before, dropped when straps come off. I call her Betsy and even though I have some wonderful higher end guitars, I always go back to her.

When I bought it it was set up beautifully. Action was and always has been great. Stays in tune well for the last 20+ years and I have abused the whammy like you would not believe. GOTOH tuners. Thick paint on body with matching headstock has chipped through the years but only from relentless live playing.

My 560 was made in Japan I think in 1990. I bought it brand new. It has an awesome original Wizard Neck and the original Edge Tremelo. I immediately changed the bridge pickup to a DiMarzio FRED and love love love it. I left the stock single coils in it for several years of playing live in the early 90s. When I purchased a Reb Beach guitar I took one of the HOT Rails from that and put in the neck position and have never changed it.