RG5EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG5EX1

This guitar fits my music style. I play a variety of music ranging from Jazz, classical, and Progressive Death Metal. Since I live in a small room I own a Roland Micro-cube. Its not the best amp but It works. I've played the guitar in store but I forgot what Amp I used. It sounds pretty good on distortion but it kind of gets muddy. The INF pickups are great, but I would rather exchange them for Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios. I mostly used the bridge pickup which is really quiet when idle unlike the middle single coil and neck pick up it doesn't produce a buzzing sound. They sound decent though. Clean sounds relatively good with out any distortion.

In conclusion this guitar was my 15th birthday gift well that was May 5th, but it fits my music style. I've been playing for more than a year now, I haven't bought any new gear though. If this guitar were to be stolen, I would hunt who ever did and hack them with a a rusty knife, ha!, just kidding but I will buy it again. I love this guitar, since its my second guitar made by Ibanez, I would buy another Ibanez guitar. I love its Edge III tremolo due to its great tuning stability. I only wish it had better pickups, and I need a better amp.

Will this guitar withstand live playing? Sure it would because of its locking pads and the tremolo it will stay in tune, but since I play on D Standard Tuning, I would bring a backup guitar. I would bring a backup guitar anyway. The Strap buttons are pretty good, but since I don't go wild on stage there isn't a change of the strap breaking. The finish is really good, I sweat a lot (lol) but the finish remains nice after abusing it the guitar, no scatches or dents. The hardware will last a long time.

When I came to get this guitar at the store, there were two of the same guitars on the shelves. This one had a bad setup. The action was high, it had .11s. the bridge was not adjusted properly, the fine tuners were mixed up. The guitar was in good condition though. I actually got the guitar setup for free. I got a nice low action with (some fret buzz). The finish was not harmed at all, everything seemed intact instead of what was stated above. The Middle pickup was too high and was interfering with my playing so I lowered it. The two humbuckers are in a decent height.

I bought this guitar for my 15th birthday. This Guitar is made in Indonesia. Made of a Basswood body, it has a 3-Piece maple neck, Wizard II Neck Profile. Its a nice thin neck for easy shredding. The neck has a Rosewood fingerboard with shark-tooth inlays with 24 frets. Since I already had a guitar in black I decided to get this guitar in Gray Pewter, Kind of looks olive green to me unless I'm color blind. Its a super-strat style guitar with a Reversed Headstock. It comes equipped with an Edge III tremolo bridge which stays in tune nicely. It has 3 pickups, INF3 humbucker for neck, INFS3 Single coil middle position, and the INF4 humbucker on the bridge position. Next to that is 1 tone and 1 volume control nobs and a 5 way pickup selector. Since it has a tremolo it has locking pads with Ibanez tuners I believe. This model was pick up from the store.

Footallica?
    death punch wrote: hey i almost got that guitar but my friend got it before me, so i got a dean.
    That's too bad...
    grey03mach1
    I also own this guitar in the lefty model. Its a very good buy for the money. Excellent review btw
    sherry07
    Nicely written review, yeah i'm thinking of getting one too =)... for my 15th birthday!!!!!
    rOCKINxsOCKIN
    I really don't see the point in spending the money on this RG5EX1 or even the RG4EX1, i have been playing Ibanez guitars for years and these two models of guitar come with the same standard pickups at the little $200 RG120 guitar I fist got. Sure, they are still ok guitars. But believe me, a much better deal is to just get the RG2EX1 or RG3EX1FM1, they come with V7 and V8 pickups and produce a much much better sound than these INF pickups. The prices on these are about $250 and $300, respectively and I honestly think they sound a lot better.
    StewCam
    SlayingDragons
    How unfortunate. :\
    EpiExplorer
    StewCam wrote: Great review! Just about bought this guitar. I am a true Ibanez fan, as my 1st electric guitar allmost 14yrs ago was a Ibanez Iceman.. I sure wish they still made those!
    They do dude, ICT700 and the Sam Totman signiture.
    StewCam
    oh yeah? they still make em?? SWEET! Been playing my neighbours Dean Gears Of War V(Dave Mustaine) And the Washburn Stealth/Dimebolt alot
    EpiExplorer
    mami3790 wrote: am i the only one who noticed that its called RG SEXI?
    ...Until now, yes. Epic.
    Guardian Devil
    I got this Ibanez(Black)RG5EX1 Beaut. for Christmas 2009, ever since its been a great addition to my Instrument Weaponry. I love the fact that its fret board is made for speed, and the Pick-ups are Diabolical! Its been half a year since I've been shredding on this Beast... I sulute Ibanez for giving birth to such craftsmanship... Great Review.
    Baraga
    Late happy birthday, and it's a good and sincere review. Found it helpful.
    Headphonehead
    me too!! I just started a year ago and ve got a microcube and a guitar i dont like no more so i ll buy a new one. Great reveiw!
    Yoyo Of Death
    EpiExplorer wrote: Most honest review ever. Well, grammatically, not great, but still its good to see someone balancing the flaws and the pro points properly. Even pointed out the 'Ibanez problems'.
    +1 also this has to be the first competent review ive ever seen coming from a person whos only been playing for about a year or so. Good job
    gl.tch
    Nice to see you didn't just wait until May 6th. Well informed and useful; cheers.
    lefthandedkid
    where did you acquire it at for $399? i see it for $500, maybe that';s just because I'm left handed *shrug*
    KillAsOne
    magnum1117
    KillAsOne wrote: good guitar! but my only gripe with it is that the finish on the knobs and on the trem fades away after heavy usage. i play mostly metal and do lots of palm muting. on my guitar the finish has worn off on the metal where i place my hands. i guess that gives it character i guess. but this has not happened with any of the other guitars i own. it is very comfortable to play and the neck is awesome.
    This. I have been playing this guitar for around a year (I've been playing for 4 years or so). The paint in the bridge fades away to easily, that is my only complain.
    unogod
    i love this guitar, i bought it and its nice and easy to play on, wonderful reveiew, my only problem with my RG is that its really touvhy when i touch the strings, but it could be that my guitar his this effect, but otherwise awesome guitar, great review and thanks ibanez for another great guitar!
    RandyRhoadsFan4
    I likewise own an RG5EX1 (Flat Black), and it is an awesome guitar. I hadn't been playing for too long when I got it, so I didn't realize what a pain not being able to tune it easily would be, but it was worth it. I really like the unbiased review.
    K4boose
    Excellent review. This, UG, is the sort of the stuff that SHOULD be on the front page! An unbiased and honest review. Top stuff mate!
    longman240
    Good review fella, nicely written with the pros and cons laid out clearly, well done!
    TheDissident
    I did a double take at the scores... they weren't all 9's and 10's. Great review, hope you're enjoying playing
    Bxesparty
    mami3790 wrote: am i the only one who noticed that its called RG SEXI?
    LOL..