RG652FX Prestige review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG652FX Prestige

Purchased from: Craigslist

I bought this guitar practically mint on Craigslist. It's my first Japanese made guitar. Its features are a basswood body, 5 piece maple and walnut neck, super wizard hp neck shape, rosewood fretboard, Gibraltar Standard II bridge, DiMarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton passive humbuckers, COSM black finish, a volume and tone knob, 5-way pick up selector switch, Gotoh locking tuners, 25.5 scale length, bolt on neck with ultra access. I've never played this type of bridge and did not know what to expect, but it feels extremely comfortable, no complaints with it at all.

I was scared of being underwhelmed because of the basswood body and bolt on neck. I was used to neck through necks and mahogany bodies. But damn did this guitar far exceed my expectations! The wood combinations and bolt on neck were not a problem at all. The DiMarzio pickups and it's multiple pickup configurations with its 5-way switch sounded amazing! It is to this day the BEST sounding guitar with clean tones I've ever played in my life. Super crisp, clear, and snappy cleans, simply flawless. The distorted tones are great too! The notes have great definition when playing big distorted chords and the pickups sound great with heavily distorted metal tones. I play many styles of music ranging from jazz, classical, metal and etc. This guitar is extremely versatile and does everything I need it to in terms of tone. The only reason it's not getting a 10 is because I did prefer the tone from my Schecter Synyster Gates Custom guitar, but that's only because I had installed a fat tungsten block on the Floyd Rose bridge and DiMarzio Titans. That thing sounded insanely massive, but this Ibanez still sounds great!

When I picked up up from the seller on Craigslist it was ready to go. The action was extremely low with very minimal fretbuzz *unless I picked extremely hard*, the neck was INSANELY comfortable, the access to the higher frets is perfect, the galaxy black finish is beautiful. I really have no complaints about this guitar. It is to this day the most comfortable guitar I have played in my life, its plays like butter, super smooth and easy to shred on. Lonely thing was I had to get used to the slightly larger string spacing compared to my Schecter guitars. The strings were wider apart but I got used to it and it wasn't a problem at all afterwards.

I only just recently bought this guitar so I can't give an accurate reliability/durability rating. But this thing seems to be built very well. It holds its tunning great with its locking tuners, and the hardware seems very solid. The ONLY thing I really fear is the neck. I've never owned a neck this thin and I'm worried about what were to happen of the guitar was dropped. But I won't know until it happens. I have faith that these Japanese made Ibanez guitars will withstand some road/tour abuse.

Excellent guitar. Simply put I have NEVER played a guitar this comfortable in my life. The slim satin finish neck plays perfectly, the locking tuners are great, the amazing access to the higher frets, the great pickups and pickup configuration. I really have no problems with this guitar. The only thing I would have liked to see is a more visually pleasing finish, but the look is very subjective. All in all, for my very first Japanese made instrument, I am extremely satisfied. This guitar new runs for $1000, I bought it used but practically mind for $800. If this guitar were to be stolen today, I would have no problem rebuying it at its 1k price. I most definitely recommend this guitar to players that want a comfortable guitar that is extremely versatile and sounds great! My very first Ibanez, and definitely not my last!

a7x julian
    UPDATE: After playing with it for longer my only real complaints are that FOR ME it is slightly harder to do pinch harmonics being that the actions is so low, and that it is slightly harder to bend. Not sure exactly why that is but when i do bends on my schecters it feels a tad more comfortable as opposed to the ibanez. Other than that i have no problem, and would still give it the ratings that i did.