RG7320Z review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG7320Z

Purchased from: Guitar Trader

I can't say that I NEEDED a seven string for what I play as I only tune down a half step but the extended range does offer some new ground to cover. In saying this I have tried out mostly Schecter 7 strings and a few Dean guitars, and each of these that I have tried just left me unimpressed. For my music style it fits me well, my style is a mixture of Adam D., James Hetfield and Mark Tremmonti style playing. The RG7320 fits my style quite well the added range beefs up my chording and allows me to have the option to really expand my sound. I'm using this guitar with my Crate Blue Voodoo 120h and a Peavey 5150 cab and my pedal board. I must say I can get a decent Djent sound all the way to pristine cleans and searing metal a la nevermore. This guitar is noise free no scratchy pots and no noise from the selector bar. For the actual price of the guitar the craftsmanship is great.

I must say that normally don't write reviews on guitars because I believe that reviews on guitars are subjective to the owners personal tastes. The craftsmanship and quality of this guitar has compelled me to write a review and perhaps since I enjoy this guitar so much someone else might enjoy it as much as I do. I play music ranging from country to metal and beyond and I can say the Ibanez RG7320z can and will handle anything that is thrown at it. I may get some weird looks for playing a seven string for country but if the guitar sounds good then who cares. I own several other guitars and the Ibanez stands up with the best of them. If this guitar was stolen I would most definitely buy another or two especially for the price that they are selling at. I purchased mine for 125usd because I traded in two guitars that I didn't want anymore. The normal price sits right at 525usd and at that price they are truly a steal and are really worth a good look. Like I have said I have played other seven string guitars, mostly Schecter and I like this guitar due to the wide thin neck. The Schecter seven string guitars necks feel like holding the business end of a baseball bat. They are difficult for me to play, this guitar has everything I have wanted from a seven string and at a decent price. If you are in the market for a nice seven string that wont damage your wallet take a look at the Ibanez RG7320Z you will find a great guitar with pro features and quality craftsmanship for a very reasonable price.

I can see this guitar as a staple of my live rig. Everything on this guitar looks and feels solid all the way down to the finnish, I expect it to last for years. If I had to I'd gig without a backup but as I have stated in my other reviews I like to have a backup as a feelgood issue for me.

The action on this guitar straight from the shop was perfect. I must say I am NOT in any way a fan of Floyd Rose style bridges because of the setup pains. This Bridge system has removed those thoughts from my head. Even after getting it home, tuning it a half step down and basically setting it up for me the action has remained flawless. The pickups are directly mounted to the body and are just right where they are. They are clear articulate and very punchy which is supprising due to the fact that they are stock pickups. There are no factory flaws on this guitar everything for the Bridge has been routed out correctly and there are no body or neck defects. Like I have said the quality control on this guitar was outstanding.

Up for review today is my new 2011 Ibanez RG7320Z seven string guitar. The 7320Z boasts quality features for a mid range guitar such as the edge-pro 2 bridge, 24 jumbo frets, a 25.5 in scale, a basswood body and a 5 piece maple/walnut neck. The Wizard2 neck is wide and very thin, this allows the player to achieve lightning fast riffs and solo runs. Surprisingly for being so wide the playability is effortless on this guitar. The fretboard is a bound rosewood fretboard and each jumbo fret was nicely polished with no sharp edges anywhere on the fretboard. The guitar is a super Strat style guitar with Ibanez AH1-7 (neck) and AH2-7 (bridge) humbuckers. These pickups are aggressive and surprisingly tight sounding for stock pickups. Cleans really ring out on both pickups and while distorted the guitar maintains note clarity with each strum. The controls are a master tone and master volume as well as a 5 position blade selector Switch that splits the humbuckers in position 2 and 4. The Edge Zero2 Bridge is very stable and is very reliable it also has a very stable locking nut system at the headstock. You can do just about any whammy trick you would want and this guitar stays in tune. The only downside of this guitar that I can find is the stock tuners, even though they aren't used for anything besides initial setup tuning while changing strings a set of Sperzels or Grovers would have been nice. Moving back to the tremolo system the edge zero2 can be set to floating and it offers a tension adjustment screw on the backside of the guitar which I found to be quite helpfull in my setup. Unfortunately the guitar only comes in gloss black and only offers stock tuners. If there were more color options and a little more quality tuner set. The guitar would be a full ten out of ten. I say this because I think this guitar would look awesome in a natural finish.

wammybarnut
    EpiExplorer
    FRr3AkOnALEaSh wrote: Sooo RG7321 vs RG7320Z... Much difference?
    0Z probably means Edge Zero or something, which is Ibanez's smoothest trem. Only problem is, it is a fiddle.
    GibsonMan321
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Maple fretboard is cool. But I agree, all-black guitar is boring. White is sometimes pretty cool like my Charvel (with black pickguard and maple fretboard) but maybe it's just because of the maple fretboard.
    Oh, I have no problem with maple fretboards, I just think this looks ****ing ugly: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG325... c-Guitar-H69988-i1697589.gc#
    ItsThatDude
    nido wrote: xIxRocksx has 3 pieces of equipment: Ibanez: Rg320DX Esp Ltd: Kh-202 Dean: Dimebag ML Shadow lol
    GOTTEMS
    nido
    xIxRocksx
    If it's not a prestige, save your money. I'd rather have one amazing guitar than 10 pieces of shit. Quality > Quantity.
    Zeletros
    Man, you can't trade in 2 guitars, then pay 125$ and then put the "Price paid: $ 125".
    MaggaraMarine
    GibsonMan321 wrote: Holy shit. Can Ibanez please come out with a guitar that isn't just black or white? Like more than one series? I know that the premium series came out with quilt maple tops, but what about 7 strings or 8 strings? What about other guitars with different specs? It's black, white, or some horrid neon color with a maple fretboard.
    Gallardo147
    wammybarnut wrote: Emperor's Child wrote: Really, what is the difference between user rating and overall rating? The user's rating is usually a little more biased, probably because the user probably feels that their guitar or their gear is the sh*t.
    I think both are equally biased as the overall rating is the average of user ratings, and as you said most users are usually biased, although I agree with and above comment on the rating being for the price range, and a guitar actually could be a 10 when its being compared to its price
    rongold360
    Love this guitar. Found one on craigslist for 200$. its worth atleast 600+! so worth it. even at 600
    JackOSF
    He traded in two guitars for it, that's why the price is so low. I have played one, they're very reasonable guitars for the price, not worth 10's definitely 7 overall or something... affordable but good quality.
    rockgodman
    they have a line of expensive RG's that have a bunch of candy colors, reds yellows and so forth. And the guitar without the trem is the best bang for your buck 7 string out there, but its not a 9.8 guitar by a long shot.
    GibsonMan321
    iheartgun
    to the guys
    Emperor's Child wrote: Doesn't the overall rating refer to how good the guitar is for its price range?
    to me it does. for the price anyone would pay for this guitar you are getting an outstanding instrument. and yes i only paid 125 because of traded in gear.
    ProgJazzMath
    Tiago Sa wrote: This is a 1000$+ guitar.
    EHH. 600 dollars. It's a pretty fly looking guitar though am i right? For the money, you seriously can't beat it. I don't really care for the rosewood fretboard, but still, it kicks ass. I wouldn't give it a 9, probably an 8, maybe... an 8.5.
    hec_exe
    i love this guitar, i originally wanted an Ibanez Universe but they are pretty expensive, then i found this one and it keep up to what i expected, i had my doubts at the beginning cz it comes tuned up on A standard and i changed to to B (same strings no special setup) then i changed strings to my gauge number did a complete setup and wow!!! what a difference! metal, jazz, rock or anything else, you name it it does it
    Emperor's Child
    Doesn't the overall rating refer to how good the guitar is for its price range ? Really, what is the difference between user rating and overall rating?
    nido
    Zeletros wrote: This guy be trollin'? 'I purchased mine for 125usd because I traded in two guitars that I didn't want anymore. The normal price sits right at 525usd and at that price they are truly a steal and are really worth a good look.' congrats! Ibbys are best bang for buck IMO and they deserve 9's and 10's within each of their price classes! Price paid: $ 125 Overall rating: 9.8
    SomebodySomeone
    Zeletros wrote: This guy be trollin'? Price paid: $ 125 Overall rating: 9.8
    its possible but highly unlikely. i once had a chance to buy a Marshall 50w JMP for $140USD. but i literally got beaten to it by about 20min.