RG7321 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG7321

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

It suits my music style[s] great, which is mainly progressive metal, but I play some modern rock, funk, and fusion (a-la Dixie Dregs) as well. I am using it with a Fender G-DEC (currently saving for a tube amp), and it sounds great on distortion presets like [14] Underworld on the bridge pickup for riffs, and in the middle position (bridge+neck) for leads/fills. For cleans, I have been using mainly the middle (bridge+neck), or the neck pickups. It isn't very noisy, but I will admit that I now know what people talk about when they say the lower strings sound 'muddy', the low B sounds somewhat muddy on this guitar. All of the treble strings from the high E to A are very clear, biting, and respond well to harmonics, both natural and artificial; but the low B is somewhat blurred, and the low E doesn't do pinch harmonics very well. I will probably replace the pickups with Dimarzios (D-Sonic 7, Blaze Neck) because of the somewhat muddy sound on the low B. Overall, it's got a good sound, the B isn't THAT muddy, but lacks some definition to it.

The overall impression of this guitar that I had was "Wow, my first seven string. This is gonna be great, I can tell by the way it looks" I play mostly progressive metal, but play everything from jazz fusion (Dixie Dregs), to country. I have been playing 2 1/2 years now, and I own a Epiphone Korina Explorer, and my Fender G-DEC amp. If this guitar were stolen, I would hunt down the person Who stole it, and make them drink drain cleaner. Not only is it a good guitar, it has sentimental value, as my parents got it for me. I love the fact that it has 24 frets, and all of them are reachable. On some guitars I have played, you cannot access past the 22nd fret. I wish it had Dimarzios in it, and possibly a tremolo.

Everything (so far) on this guitar is completely solid. The strap buttons, the bridge, tuning pegs, pickup Switch, tone knob, nut, etc. They all seem like well-made pieces of hardware. The finish is great, it's good to know that can withstand picking (I haven't found any pick scratches yet, as well as everyday playing. My only complaint is that it shows dust somewhat easily. I honestly can't give an opinion on Live playing and gigging, I'm not in a band. But if I were, I would always have a backup, even if I owned a $6000 custom guitar, I would never go without a backup. If I did gig, I think it would withstand me, as I wouldn't throw it in the air, beat on the strings, or dump beer on it, (I would never do that to any guitar except maybe a Hannah Montana acoustic) so I think it could hold it's own.

The guitar came from the factory with great action, not on the frets, but not 1/2 and inch off the fretboard either. It was kind of low, which is how I like it, but not too low to where I can't achieve tapped harmonics. It came with D'Addario XL Super-Light Strings (Gauge.009-.054), which was a little thin for me (I usually play on.010's or.011's), but these are fine, and I actually like them, which I can't say about my Epiphone's factory strings (they were horrible). All of the routing was done properly, there was no stray marks on the guitar, no chips in the paint or wood, nothing. The only thing I found wrong with it was that the input jack was a little loose, but I fixed that in about 2 minutes with a small Philips head screwdriver.

This guitar is a 2007 Made in Indonesia (its not one of the Japanese made) Ibanez RG7321. It is a Brilliant Black finish, which I really like; because from one angle, it seems to be a flat black, but when you move it, it has a gloss finish. 24 Jumbo Frets, White fretboard binding, Rosewood fingerboard on a 5-piece Wizard II neck (which is very fast, and I easily adapted to it from a 6-string) I believe that the body is a solid-top basswood body, and it has the black finish. The body style is that of a horned Ibanez in the RG series, and it has a Fixed 7 String Ibanez bridge (string-thru). The pickups are passive Ibanez-designed humbuckers, with a 5-way Switch (all the way to the right is the bridge, the area closest to bride, 2nd to right is the whole bridge pickup, middle is neck+bridge, etc.) A single volume and tone knob are onboard as well. The tuners, as far as I know, are Ibanez-made tuners. They are non-locking, and very tight, which I like compared to my other guitar, which I had to turn for about 20 seconds to raise the pitch one step. The guitar came strung with D'Addario XL light gauge strings, a warranty, and a free 1 year subscription to Rolling Stone magazine.