RG7321 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG7321

Purchased from: eBay

How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? I play everything from brutal, crushing, in your face metal to softer Jazz and Blues, and this guitar is great for all. But she likes the heavier stuff. What amps and effects are you using it with? I plug into a DigiTech RP250, then a Boss DS-1, then a DigiTech Grunge, into a Line 6 Spider III 15. I'm going to change amps soon though, I'm tired of modeling amps, they have limited sounds you can get before you get bored. Is it noisy? Not at all, she's quiet. Until I kick on the distortions, then she screams like a banshee on her period. (But in a good way!) On what settings? I usually have some sort of heavy distortion running with some slight delay and reverb, every once in a while I'll put on a flanger or chorus. Rich/Full sound? She has a very warm sound yet she is a little bright as well. What kind of sounds can the guitar make? Alot, I can do pretty much everything I can do on this guitar that I can do on my Ibanez RG4EXQM1 (which has an Edge III), except for dive-bombs and Satch Squeals, those are fun. How much variety? She can go from dark and brooding, to light and funky. I know, I've done exactly that. The pickups I'm going to change to Dimarzios (X2N 7 in the bridge, and Air Norton 7 in the neck), because the stock pickups are slightly muddy on the low B and on certain settings on the low E, when I play clean lines. BEWARE! This guitar has some EXTREME bass, so all of you guys Who like to play chunky, chugged, bassy riffs will have to lower your bass a little to get a consistent sound. I had to go through my RP250 and kill some of the bass. I give this an 8, just because of the slight muddiness of the pickups.

What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? I play mainly Metal, and she is definitely great for that, it's an Ibanez RG one of the best metal axes out there. But she can also do some more softer, melodic stuff like Jazz and Blues. How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? It'll be 7 years on the 16th (irony, much? A 7-string on the 7th year of playing.) And I own two other Ibanez guitars an RG4EXQM1, and a customized IJX40, with an Ibanez GTA15R 15 Watt amp, DigiTech RP250, Boss DS-1, DigiTech Grunge, and a Line 6 Spider III 15. Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? Nope. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? I would hunt down the guy whole stole it and kick his punk-ass. If I lost it on the road; I would buy it again or pull a Zakk Wylde and put a BOLO and reward on it. What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? I love almost everything, except for the fact that I can't adjust the pickups at all and the muddiness on the low B. Mt favorite feature is the low B, I don't think I've written at least one riff on this beast that doesn't have the low B in it. Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? No I didn't compare it to any other 7s, because no where near me carries 7-string guitars. I don't think that any of the local stores have even had a 7 walk in at all. I chose this one because it was in my price range and I was in the market for a good budget starter 7 that will hold up for a long time. Anything you wish it had? A reversed headstock, and an Edge Pro 7 with both a locking nut and locking tuners, for some extreme tuning stability, that is probably not needed at all with the locking nut, and proper string-spring ratio.

Will this guitar withstand Live playing? I've yet to even take this guitar out of my house, but sometime this weekend I have a jam session with my band and I'll see how she handles my even more abusive playing with my band. Does the hardware seem like it will last? Oh yeah, it does! I think the only thing I'll do is change the tuners to locking tuners if I can find Cosmo black tuners somewhere. Are the strap buttons solid? As I said; I haven't done any super abusive things yet to test the sturdiness, but they seem extremely solid from the somewhat abusive playing I do in my room, lol. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yeah I can rely on this guitar, and I would use it without a backup 1). Because I have to, I have no money for another guitar right now, and 2). She's just that good at keeping tune and though it didn't take me long to snap a string, they can take a beating. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? The finish is superb, I don't see anything but my fingerprints and slight amounts of dead skin from my arm.

How well was the guitar set-up at the factory? I'm not too sure how well the guitar was set-up at the factory because I bought it semi-used. The guy bought it played once, didn't like the feel of the neck and put it up on a wall-hanger for a month. (How was the action?) When I got it the action was perfect, not too low to warrant fret-buzz, and not too high; just right. How well were the pickups adjusted? The pickups do not have adjustment rings, if they did I would have lowered the bridge pup to let off some of the mud. Properly bookmatched top? As far as I can tell; yes. Properly routed bridge? I don't see any flaws to it. Did the guitar contain any flaws? Nope. Even though they guy I bought it from is incompetent when it comes to shipping and restringing, the guitar was in perfect condition. The only wear on it is from me, and even then it's very minimal. All she needed was a retune, and the strings to be properly stretched and she was good to go.

I have the new 2009 Ibanez RG7321FMBBS, and I must say this a great starter 7-string. What year was it made? 2009. Where was is made? Indonesia I believe, I could be wrong. How many frets? 24 Jumbo Frets, 25.5" scale, rosewood fretboard. It has a thin, flat, and wide neck, obviously it's an Ibanez. It's perfect for shredding it up like John Petrucci, or riffing like Dino Cazares. Solid-Top? Laminated top? I'm not to sure what these mean. If it means the top wood I believe that it's an actual Flamed Maple top and not a photo-laminate. Body and neck woods? Basswood body, with a flamed maple top. 5pc. Maple/Walnut Wizard II-7. Finish? Transparent Blackberry sunburst, with a flamed maple top and matching headstock. It's absolutely gorgeous, words cannot describe it, and pictures do not do it justice. Body style? Super-Strat. Basic look that all Ibby RGs have, sharp, pointy, and metal. Bridge style? Fixed-7 bridge, has amazing sustain. Active or Passive electronics? Passive. Stock Ibanez AH1-7 (Neck) AH2-7 (Bridge). Good but a little muddy on the low B when playing clean stuff on the bridge pickup. I'll delve deeper in the sound department. Which controls are given? 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 5-Way Switch. The only problem I've had here was my volume pot came slightly loose from the nut holding it down so I had to pry the control knob off to tighten it, but it's been fine since, no clipping at all. Pickup configuration? HH. Make and model of pickups? Ibanez Axis pickups. Tuners? Non-locking. Brand of tuners? I think they're stock Ibanez tuners, either way they hold tuning impeccably well. Any included accessories? The guy I bought it from, tossed in a Tour Grade gig bag, and it's an amazing gig bag, so many freaking pockets on it too!