RG7420 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: RG7420

Purchased from: eBay

Ibanez make great sounding 7 strings, and this is no exception. I play metal and jazz, and this handles both well. I was surprised to find that the stock pickups actually give quite a nice clean sound, but not shocked to find that they lack a bit of punchiness in higher gain situations. The pots crackle a bit and need replacing, but this is a 2nd hand guitar, so I can't hold Ibanez responsible for that. There is little unwanted noise in the form of a quiet constant hum, but it is negligible in a noisy gigging situation. Given the chance and money, I would replace the pickups, but for now will settle with pot and selector Switch replacements. My other Ibanez 7 is an RG1527 with EMG707s, and comparing the two, the RG7420 has a brighter sound, and has much less punch and crunch. The RG7420 also needs more gain, presence and a little more treble and bass to match the power of the RG1527. However, I am not disappointed, for the price I paid, the sound is more than satisfactory, and will be rectified later with investment in pickups and a new amplifier.

For the price, this guitar is superb. They're out of production now, and although the RG7620s tend to be the better guitar of these two well-known OOP guitars, they've been gaining in price for a little while now. So if you don't need a trem and are willing to put in a little work to make a block, or pay some more for a Tremel-no, then you'll be better off with the RG7420. There is a HardTail version however, the RG7421, which might be preferable to the tremolo equipped model. The RG series has been one of my favourite series of guitars, alongside the Ibanez S, and the Jackson Dinky range for quite some time. For 7 strings, Ibanez holds all the cards - their current (UK available) production model 7s, the S7320, RG7321(/FM) and RG1527 are great guitars, and I can't wait to see where they go next. I would personally prefer a mahogany body RG, but I won't hold my breath too long. All in all, a very decent guitar, with an excellent neck, with no stand-out or surprising features, but a great deal of quality workmanship. I couldn't ask for more at the price these are available, and I recommend that if you ever get the chance - snap one up - especially one with a 7620 neck! You won't regret it.

Well, this guitar is 8 years old, and has taken a beating from previous owners - yet the hardware (except the bridge, which is in poor condition and had to be blocked) is in quite good condition. The finish seems to come off relatively easily, however, and the strap buttons are ridiculously small, and need to be replaced with something more substantial. I do use this guitar to gig, but only usually as a backup guitar to my RG1527, as that guitar is in better condition - however, it has a floating bridge, so this guitar is the obvious answer when looking for a backup. Cheap and quite reliable.

The seller of this guitar sent it to me with a pretty good set-up, I just had to bring the action down a little, and it was more or less perfect. I have blocked the lo-TRS bridge, as it is notoriously poor, created during a cost-cutting spree, and the use of poor quality metal is obvious - I could feel a definite weakness while using it. The neck is extremely comfortable, sleek and fast, with no volute, unlike the RG1527. This particular guitar's neck actually belongs to an RG7620, as an overproduction of necks in the factory for the RG7620 was resolved by attaching the spare necks to RG7420 bodies, close to the end of production for the RG7620. It really is lightning fast, sure proof of Ibanez' ability to create amazing 'shred' guitars - even when making 7 strings which some find uncomfortable for the width of the neck. It's only a little wider than a comparable 6-string RG's neck, and an absolute delight to play.

Made in 2001, in the Fujigen plant in Japan, this Ibanez RG comes with 24 frets over a 25.5" scale. Superstrat body style, basswood body wood, V7 and V8 stock Ibanez humbucking pickups, Lo-TRS (LFR) floating bridge, Very thin Wizard 7 neck (A rosewood fretboard on maple neck (Walnut striped), with jumbo frets, Gotoh tuning machines. One volume, and one tone control.

Haanz
    lunchboxturtle
    stefevr wrote: lunchboxturtle : 100 euros... Isn't that like a million American shit-dollars these days? I need a new Ibby. Or a prs, that'd be nice... But I'm straying from the review! Don't mind me, my attention span outside of music is zippo! Zippo... Now those are fun to play with. FIRE! Now what site is this again? It's actually Pounds not Euros ^_^ And it comes to around 164$ Nice review too, it's nice to see it wasn't rated 10 on everything like so many other reviews.
    Oh, well shows what I know! And that ain't a bad price, if you ask me. Good review. Still gonna save for that PRS SE Custom 24. Look! Sticky notes! I'm gonna go have some fuuun with those! Thundercats, GO!
    Mazzakazza
    GunLeatherGuy, I would like to obtain a 7620. I disagree, I think the Lo-TRS is a quite disappointing. The Lo-Pro is very nice, otoh. Do you prefer your 7620 to 7420?
    GunLeatherGuy
    The pic is an RG 7321....standard hard tail Indo made 7 string. Ive got a 7620 and 7420...both are great. The 7420 has the Low TRS trem...and to tell you the truth....its a damn good trem. The 7620 has the Low Pro....and it is better....but not by much. Neither has a pickguard. ONLY the 1570 has one..... Rock and roll.
    XeroDivide
    Mazzakazza wrote: XeroDivide wrote: Pickguards on ibanez aren't very attractive. There's only a few I like, and a few is an exaggeration. Still, I'd like to get my hands on one of these and see how it handles. Interesting, I just noticed that - the RG7420 does NOT have a pickguard. The pictured guitar...I'm not actually sure what it is. And yes, I use this for Jazz and Metal and it works excellently for both
    I searched this guitar on google and that same picture above came up in images with modified in the name, the normal models look bad ass though. I'm really interested now in checking this out, good review too by the way, I have a good idea what I'm getting into now!
    olij92
    Metal.Milita wrote: RG rocks! I own a RG320PG P3
    RG350dx here, the mother of guitars , well not quite the mother, more like the 2nd cousin of all guitars
    new_age_reject
    I reckon everyone should buy the S series Ibanez guitars instead haha. I can never play an RG for very long, don't like the body shape. However, tis a brilliant review.
    Ibanezbelyeu
    playpsp8 wrote: jazz and blues are really awesome cuz they both use every technique in metal cept u dont need 2 be so fast and u have more feel and @GODhimself37 ur probably a cheap ass Wii fanboy that couldnt afford a PS3....bitch! (ive got a PS3 d-_-b )
    Jazz and blues do not use every technique in metal. An this is coming from a blues jazz and metal player. I do try to put all these techniques into jazz though and the outcomes are extremely rewarding (and it can still have that jazz flavour). As for feeling..well thats very subjective
    stefevr
    Mazzakazza
    XeroDivide
    lunchboxturtle
    bucketheadmask
    i recently purchased an RG7620.. pretty awesome indeed. great tone and fits most styles of music jazz fusion lol cuz it aint no jazz box gittar
    playpsp8
    SeanX3187
    yeah, that gets annoying. people should understand just because it's their guitar, it's not the best in the world.
    ChucklesMginty
    Haanz wrote: Holy crap.. could it be.. a review that doesn't give the guitar all 10's? Nice review.
    So true.. People get pretty attached to their guitar :p:
    GODhimself37
    the way it goes is kind of like a PS3 owner. they realize they paid hundreds of dollars for a crappy console, then back it up because they feel incredibly stupid for wasting so much money so they have to cover up their shame