RG7621 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG7621

Purchased from: eBay

Since this comes with Dimarzios other than the usual IBZ pickups it's very versatile, great cleans with good distortion and harmonics. I use it through an old Roland amp right now with an EQ and a Boss Distortion pedal in front. Great sound, dimarzios are my favorite brand of pickups so it works great for me. The double blaze combo, wouldn't be my first 7 string pickup choice, but it works great so I give it a 9.

I play pretty much exclusively metal and jazz and have played most Ibanez's out there, including JEMs and Universes and it plays just as well as any of them, it is by far my favorite guitar (including ones I've only played). If it were stolen or lost I'd be pretty pissed since these are hard to come by (for good reason). I really don't dislike anything about it, it is the ideal guitar for me.

Sorry that I can't really comment on the stock hardware since the previous owner swapped everything out with white hardware, which I'll probably replace with black hardware eventually. Strap buttons seem solid and it seems to be a heavier denser type of basswood as it is about as heavy as my other mahogany bodied guitars. Seems like it would stand up to a little abuse, but with all basswood, I wouldn't try it. It is definitely gig worthy however.

This guitar hasn't been made in about 12 years so I can't say anything about the factory set-up, but I got the action real low with no buzz and great tension, thanks to the very adjustable bridge. I see no flaws in the guitar anywhere (other than a decade of grime from the previous user, luckily I know how to clean it up nice) and everything is perfect, as you'd expect from a Japan made Ibanez. I love the neck contour on it, it's not as flat as some of the other Japan made Ibanez's out there and has a great flat fretboard.

This is a Japan made (Fujigen Factory) 7 string guitar, made in 1998. It is a solid basswood body and comes with the "superior" 1-piece maple, 24 jumbo fret neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The model I purchased has a solid black finish, but it also comes in white if I'm not mistaken. It's your standard super Strat body, with a nice arm contour and great upper fret access. It is a string-thru body with the standard (at the time) Ibanez fixed bridge, which allows for great adjustment and low action and comes with the Blaze 7 pickups and Gotoh tuners. I'd rate it a 10, but if you like trems you might give it a 9.

SPBY
    bokma wrote: Does Ibanez still make these with that finish?
    Ibanez never made them with that finish, white, black and a few specialty colors, but that is just one that has been sanded down finished with linseed oil (what i would've done to mine of the guy didn't put white hardware on it :/)
    Demonikk
    And they haven't made them since about 1998 either I'm picking up either one of these or a Line 6 DuoVerb in a week or two
    m_bryant78
    Ok, I'll clear all this up real quick. The 7621 was made from 98-99. 3 piece Maple Neck, American Basswood body. The stock pickups are DiMarzio "New 7's", not Breeds. It came in 3 finishes. Black, White and M-BOL (which is a special oiled finish of which Ibanez says only about 12 were ever made). This is by far my favorite Ibanez 7 string ever produced and i picked mine up for $200 WITH the UV1000 Hardshell case because they thought it was an RG7321. But serial numbers don't lie. Mine was made in the Fujigen factory in 1999. Everything else stated about the guitar was correct as far as i could see though.