RG770DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG770DX

Purchased from: ebay

The pickups make for an extremely volitle combination, capable of producing any sound you can imagine. My style of playing is influenced by several different rock and metal styles, andthis guitar seems to accomodate them all. The humbucker pickups pack and incredibly powerful tone with the treble pickup tailored towards high output lead playing. You can dial it back a bit with the tone knob to produce very full rhythm tones as well. The single coil pickup boarderlines a Strat and is great for clapton like tones. I play through a Line 6 Flextone III and this guitar makes that amp sing like nothing I've ever heard before.

All in all, this guitar is a must have for all enthusiasts. If you have never tried an Ibanez before, this guitar should be enough to establish some immediate brand loyalty. I own several other Ibanezs, including an RG4EX1, S470, and a Xiphos(odd combination I know) The RG770 could easily make me sell them all(though I know I won't) At the very least my other guitars should go through a stage of jealousy and withdrawl. I recommend the RG770 to any player!

The second I got this guitar out of the box it was shipped in and opened the case, it was plugged in and off I went for the next 6 hours. When it came out of the packaging after shipping the guitar was still in tune, a testament to the tuning stability the double locking tremolo provides. After six hours of playing and several tremolo dives, this guitar stayed perfectly in tune. I also played the guitar at a band practice that night and it performed flawlessly. The guitar is incredibly comfortable around your neck and I imagine it would b easy to play live.

I don't know how he factory set up came on this guitar since I bought it used, but the set up on this guitar is the best I have ever seen. The action is flawless and playability is effortless. The fit and finish all the way around is perfect and has no flaws. The only minor flaw the guiar came with (which I assume was not from factory) was two very minor cracks in the finish at the edges of the neck pocket (which sadly most Ibanezs with the block style neck joint are notorious for)

The RG770 cmes with a basswood body, 5pc neck crafted to the Orginal Wizard specifications but reinforced with modern technology to make it even stronger than the orginal. The neck is also clearcoated and bound. The guitar has an H-S-H configuration and is fitted with DiMarzio/IBZ USA custom pickups. 1 volume and 1 tone knob, wich is all you really need, 5 way pickup selector. The Guitar is also fitted with the orginal edge tremolo. I bought mine in Lazer blue, with matching lazer blue headstock, sharktooth inlays, pickups, and knobs. All hardware is in a dark chrome(cosmo chrome) finish. Also comes with a prestige case.

MetalheadA7X
    I honestly don't see why the pick ups are getting such a bad press. They sound fantastic. Such a great 80's metal tone for rhythm and solos. They are not the quality of the V series pick ups in the RG Prestiges. I'm sure I read they are actually made by Dimarzio for this ibanez specifically.
    budreiser1
    guitar_mad_ali wrote: exactly WHAT are you paying 1000 for with this guitar? I dont understand theres no features that warrent such a price.
    the neck and the trem for one, also these play so amazingly
    stonyman65
    This is one of the 1987 RG770DX reissues. One of the best guitars Ibanez makes. The pickups are okay, certainly not up to Dimarzio standards, but compared to most other guitars they do sound good. Putting anything in besides a PAF PRO would be wrong because thats what this guitar was made for lol. The $1200 price tag is worth it, its an awesome guitar and they only make them once ever 20 years.
    MetalheadA7X
    "They are not the quality of the V series in the RG Prestiges" should have been followed with " They are far superior."