RG870QMZ review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG870QMZ

Purchased from: Sandvika music senter

I play metal, like Iron Maiden, Lordi, Children Of Bodom, All That Remains... And this guitar just kicks @$$! The sound is just amazing, so powerful and clear. I run it through a Boss Metal Zone, into a Roland Cube 30X, with some delay. Not a very big or complex setup, but for small stages and home practice, I don't need anything else. This is my forth el guitar. I own an ESP Ltd EC-100QM, an ESP LTD EX-400, and a crappy newbie Strat copy. I've played about 4 years, and some may think I have too many guitars compared to my short playing time, but I've bought a new guitar when I feel the guitars I have holds me back in some way. The clean tone is even better, if you put on some soft reverb, and use the middle and splitted neck pickup. The clarity and "air" in the sound is just stunning, perfect for calm ballades. I might switch them out for some DiMarzio D'Activators, but for now the pickups rock! Just me being a bit picky.

This guitar matches my style (metal) perfect, but it can without any trouble handle everything from black metal to pop to blues to country. The pickups are very versatile! As said, I've played guitar in 4 years, and owned this RG the last year. I love this guitar, and I would without hesitation buy this guitar again if it was gone/stolen. If you take good care of it, it will be a good companion for many years to come. Worth every single coin!

I haven't played live with this baby just yet, but hopefully I will soon. I would bring a backup, like always. But I don't think it will be neccessary. After a year I haven't faced any problems what so ever, but for an original Ibanez guitar handcrafted by Japanese luthiers, that's what you should expect. The fact that it's made in Indonesia, pulls the price down to half of the Prestige, even though both guitars is made by the same people.

This guitar was set up fairly well from the factory, with notes hanging all over it, hehe. The action was a bit high for my taste, so was the single coil. The spring tension needed to be tightened a bit, but not much. The guitar not in tune at all. Some strings were in D#, some in D, and some in E. But when I tuned it properly, it stayed in tune. And I hardly need to tune it at all. Because it has the tremolo system, I keep it in E all the time, and I tune it just one time a day, with the fine tuners. But often it's perfectly in tune. Well done Ibanez! The finish is perfect, and no other flaws has caught my attention yet. Overall just minor factory stuff you would expect when the guitar has been flown from Indonesia to Norway.

This is the new Ibanez Premium guitar made in 2011 in Indonesia. It features a quilted maple top on an American basswood body, maple/walnut premium neck with KTS titanium reinforcements, 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, offset dot inlays unique for the Premium line, Ibanez's own CAP VM passive humbuckers and single coil, edge zero 2 tremolo system with ZPS3, and Ibanez tuners. Controls: One volume, one tone, a 5 way blade toggle switch. I'd wish it had the Edge Zero trem and Gotoh tuners though. Don't get me wrong, the EZ2 and Ibz tuners works great, never had problem with them yet. Mine came in High Voltage Violet, but (in Europe) it's also available in Red Desert, Black Ice, Black and Laser Blue. I bought this guitar mainly because I didn't have a guitar with a tremolo system, and because I love Ibanez Wizard necks! But the thing that surprised me the most was the output jack hole. When I first connected the jack to the guitar, it needed some big muscle power to get out. It's been like that ever since, and I love it! It's literally no way that jack is going anywhere.

FDJ
    mitch311
    Most likely not US$
    blackbird51
    Charlie4 wrote: Just too add, it's made by the same company but not the same people (Fujigen is a factory in Japan and these are made in Indonesia), otherwise it would've been as expensive as a Prestige model or more - different labour costs (Indonesia vs Japan) = differently priced guitars.
    finally someone who knows what they are talking about.
    Maldihr
    Thrasher11 wrote: you bought a 1500 dollar guitar.... why in god's name are you still using a boss metal zone and tiny roland amp?
    Because I think the guitar shapes the tone and sound in a much more advanced way than any amp or pedal ever can.
    Thrasher11
    callumbloodpuke
    J-dog-Ibanez wrote: I was about to buy and Ibanez but I bought a Epiphone SG G-400 instead.What kind of sound do most Ibanez guitars have?
    depends on the guitars quality and which pick-ups are in it, and i think this particular one's a bit out of your price rande if you just bought an SG G-400. but the sounds gonna vary loads throughout the range of guitars
    Charlie4
    W>O
    have you tried a guitar made in indonesia before ?
    Konstantine19
    Tried one of these in sam ash and something just did not feel right with the neck compared with an ltd H1000 or ibanez p series
    HxC Cody
    J-dog-Ibanez
    DoubleBassCrash
    blackbird51 wrote: HxC Cody wrote: The price is a bummer, Ive gone through ESP's & Schecter's Good guitars but nearly as good as Ibanez, I can give a rat's ass were there put together as long as there done right and Ibanez seems to be the best company for quality, I play metal, Pretty heavy stuff and it shocked me how great these guitars play for metal, Tight action the frets are tight enough to just hammer down sick riffs, If I Had 5.000 Ide drop it in a heart beat on this with no second thought, Maybe if they had black &red or black & white, Purples just way to played out. dude what are you talking about? it's no where near $5,000..i don't even think there is even an Ibanez guitar costs that much..$5,000 and up are usually hand crafted USA guitars like Carvin, Paul Reed Smith, Ernie Ball Ball Family Reserve, etc..this guitar in the U.S is under $1,000 ( i think $900)
    The Ibanez Paul Gilbert PGMFRM1 Fireman will run you $7,000, killer guitar, but way too expensive, 'course it's a sig, too... they're making a cheaper version for around $900, it's red and will be made in China, which is shame because that's going to keep me from purchasing it altogether. I don't buy Ibanez unless it's Made in Japan, I've tried their Korean, Indonesian and Chinese guitars, sometimes they feel like toys. These guitars look good, and Indonesia is a bit better with their quality compared to China or Korea, but it still isn't a MIJ axe. But if you don't care about where it comes from and it feels like an instrument and not a toy, go for it, otherwise save up for one of their Made in Japan models.
    Maldihr
    FDJ wrote: Nice review, a bit what I expected of it. Though, are you sure Premiums are crafted by Fujigen? As far as I know, Fujigen luthiers only oversee the manufacturing process.
    I've heard Premium guitars are built by the same luthiers as the Prestige line, but in Indonesia, and that they are not alloved to be called fujigen. But I'm not 100% sure, just heard it from several music stores I've talked to about the guitar.
    Maldihr
    Maldihr wrote: Charlie4 wrote: $1400 for a guitar made in Indonesia? Hell no ! For that price you can get a, Made in Japan, Ibanez Prestige. Just another question, this guitar retails for $750 (Musicians Friend) so you literally paid double what you were supposed to (this explains the price you mentioned). I live in Norway and the prices are higher here, actually I got it fairly cheap. And "no" to all americans about to say "Buy it from the US". Don't ask why, but to skip anything from USA to Norway, you must paid about 45-48% tax.
    pay* And I ment 90-93%, so if a guitar costs 1000% in America, it will cost about $900 to skip it to Norway.
    Maldihr
    blackbird51 wrote: btw to the reviewer - if you really payed $1480 you got ripped off, unless you bought 3 hard cases with it..
    As mentioned in another comment: I got it quite cheap, and if I'd bought it from the US, I would have to pay about 90% tax to skip it to Norway.
    Maldihr
    mitch311 wrote: Charlie4 wrote: $1400 for a guitar made in Indonesia? Hell no ! For that price you can get a, Made in Japan, Ibanez Prestige. Just another question, this guitar retails for $750 (Musicians Friend) so you literally paid double what you were supposed to (this explains the price you mentioned).Most likely not US$
    I paid 7400NOK, which is about 1480 american dollars
    schniepel89x
    that thing looks amazing (except for the grey model)! it would've been even more awesome if it had had shark fin inlays.
    Charlie4
    That question is far too broad, but basswood is the primary choice used in their electric guitars, responds well too pickups, has a midrangey sound, cheaper than alder, mahogany (the good graded ones at least) hence the reason they use it. Just keep in mind there are various grades of wood, so it's still quality. Ibanez guitars are generally good bang for the buck, not always lookers but are generally known as workhorses.