RG870QMZ review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG870QMZ

Price paid: C$ 950

Purchased from: cosmo music

At this moment I am running the Ibanez RG870 through a Blackstar HT Club-40, with a Vox wah pedal and a Boss dd3 delay. When I play my guitar I generally don't have a "main style" (I go through musical phases. For example, right now I am really into blues and last month I was really into Yngwie Malmsteen) I like to play things from funk and blues to death metal (I don't play death metal that much thought). I was actually really surprise with this guitar when I got it because it can actually play every style very well. I find the the guitar has a very clean and clear tone when clean but heavy, aggressive, and chunky when distorted. The guitar also has a mid-range that is a bit more present than that of other guitars which will definably make it easy to "cut-through the mix". If there is one thing I don't like about the guitar it would probably be the stock single coil pickup. I find that it doesn't really mix well with the other humbuckers and is a bit to bright (but still sounds reasonably good by itself. I eventually switch out the single coil pickup for a DiMarzio Cruiser and now I could not be any happier with this guitar. For now I am going to leave this guitar with a 9 because of the single coil not sounding as nice and not mixing with the humbuckers.

My overall impression of this guitar is very good. It has a beautiful sound, it was built to last a longgg long time, plays great, and just has great features like the tremolo (definitely my favourite feature). I also think that he guitar is probably best suited for some of the heavier songs but adapts very easily to other styles. I just find it a great buy and I absolutely recommend buying it.

I have only play a few shows with this guitar and I feel like it is never going to break on me. The hardware, the finish, the neck and every thing on the guitar was defiantly built to last. The only down side that I find is the it is made out of basswood which is a generally "soft wood" which means that you will get a few dings here and there is you hit it hard enough (luckily I don't have and dents or yet!)

Well this is a very easy category to answer. This is an Ibanez guitar so you are defiantly going to expect amazing playability with probably no flaws.

The Ibanez RG870QMZ Premium is made some were in Indonesia. Its has 24 frets put onto a bound rosewood fret board which lays on an extremely sturdy 5 piece maple and walnut neck. The body of this guitar is made out of American basswood with and absolutely beautiful quilted maple top. The bridge is Ibanez's Edge-Zero2 with a detachable zero point system along with a thing that you twist on the back of the body to adjust the spring tension (the zero point system basically made the tremolo A LOT more stable. I generally keep it off though because without the zps it feels very very smooth and is still stable). The guitar also comes with CAP-VM1, CAP-VM1S, and CAP-VM2 passive pickups which are controlled by a one volumepot, one tone pot, and one 5-way pickups selector. The pickups configuration is H-S-H. Now for the tuners. The Ibanez RG Premium has Ibanez's own tuners (btw they work very well) with lucking nuts. FINALLY... The guitar comes with a Ibanez premium tool which holds allen keys, a ruler, and 2 screw driver things just because Ibanez is nice to use like that.