RG921QMF review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG921QMF

Purchased from: eBay

I use different guitars for different genres and styles. I bought this as backup metal style guitar for live. The pickups are a little weak. They are DiMarzio branded, Ibanez special pickups. The neck pickup sounds great. Very smooth. No complaints there. The bridge pickup is a little weak compared to what I'm used to. It's got a smooth sound to it as well, but I like more of edge to the sound personally. They're fine for right now, but I'm going to replace the bridge pickup soon. I'm running this through a Peavey 6505+ head and cabinet. It's not noisy at all right now actually. Due to the lower output pickups and the noise gate I'm using. Its all good!

For what I bought it for, it'll handle the music perfectly. I've been playing for about 10 years, and have always loved Ibanez guitars. This is the 4th RG I've owned. I currently own a RG1570 Prestige, an LTD MH-1000NT, PRS SE 245, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, and a Fender American Strat. I'm only using a few pedals. A pitchblack, Maxon OD808, MXR carbon copy, and an ISP Decimator. I've always been a fan of Ibanez's cool sharktooth inlays, it would be awesome of this guitar had those, but that's just a cosmetic preference. I love this guitar. Once I get the pickups adjusted, it'll be a really great guitar. I'm excited to get to work on it! These seems to go for pretty affordable prices on eBay - if you have the extra cash and are looking for an Ibanez guitar, but don't want a floating bridge - check this out for sure!

Its an Ibanez guitar. I've owned a couple lower end models over the years, and even they stood up to anything I was able to throw at it. I have no doubts this will do the same. I switched out the strap buttons for DiMarzio clip locks. that's my strap of choice these days. I buy them for all my guitars. I wouldn't ever gig without a backup, but I could play a whole set easily on this thing.

The finish is gorgeous. They have a few options color wise available for this guitar, and this was the one I wanted. I waited until I could find this color. The pickups came adjusted extremely high from the previous owner. Higher than I ever keep pickups, but as I mentioned earlier, this was probably done in order to compensate for the lower output of the pickups. I didn't have to make any other adjustments on this guitar. It came perfect. I will definitely say its the one of THE smoothest playing guitars I've ever played. Definitely top 3.

Up for review is an Ibanez RG921QMF. This is one of their Premium line of guitars. I haven't been able to decode the serial number. The serial number starts with a D, and I wasn't able to find a whole on anything in that format. Here's the specs: - Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Walnut - Neck Type: Wizard Premium - Body: American Basswood body/ Quilted maple top - Frets: Jumbo frets - Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood - Inlay: Off-set dot inlay - Bridge: Tight End R bridge - NeckPU: DiMarzio IBZ-N - BridgePU: DiMarzio IBZ-B - HW Color: CK I got mine in the color called "Black Ice". Its a very nice color. I really wanted an Ibanez with just 2 humbuckers. I never use the middle single coil most Ibanez's come with, and it just always gets in the way. Plus I've moved on past floating bridges. This has a fixed bridge, which is also you something you don't see on every Ibanez. Although it only has 2 pickups, its got a 5 way selector switch. Ibanez brand tuners. It came with an Ibanez gigbag. Nothing special.

edbert
    I have the Floyd version of this guitar which I really like, and you're right, throw some new pickups in it and you will have a monster. This Premium line that Ibanez has put out seems hit and miss, I didn't like the 25th anniversary RGs and Ss, but the 920/921s are great.