RG927WZCZ review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG927WZCZ

Price paid: € 999

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

The guitar was introduced at the NAMM 2015 by Ibanez Guitars. It's an Indonesian made premium series. The RG927 features 24 jumbo frets and has a Wizard-7 5pc Wenge/Bubinga neck, bound with Rosewood w/ Mother of Pearl off-set dot inlay. The body is American Basswood with a Ziricote top. The guitar has an natural flat finish and features a Edge-Zero II-7 vibrato w/ ZPS3Fe and locking tuners.

The tremolo is great and really keeps the guitar in tune for a long time. it's easy to maintain and you can adjust the string-tension at the back of the guitar without having to take of the cover. After some divemombs, motorbikes and other forms of misuse the strings are naturally a bit detuned, but that's to expect from every trem. A hardshellcase and an Ibanez multitool are included, but not a strap, which I think could have been, considering the price. The pickups are DiMarzio IBZ-7 (H) both for the bridge and the neck and the guitar has a 5-way-selector switch (more about that later).

My musical style is mostly oriented around various kinds of metal, though I prefer speed-, heavy-, symphonic-, death-, folk- and power metal. I play my guitars mostly with loads of gain (2 o'clock is a minimum) but I like to have some nice clean sounds. I like having a guitar that can produce a high variety of sounds. My main amp is the Peavey ValveKing 112 with gain on 2 o'clock or max (with boost turned on), lows on 11, mids on 2 and treble on 5 o'clock on the lead channel. The clean channel has lows on 12, mids on 2 and treble on 5. Besides that I only use a Harley Benton noise gate and an Ibanez Weeping Demon as an EQ-pedal, which, when turned off, has no effect on my sound and only push the lows when activated.

The Pickups:

They are modern-sounding high-output pickups with a pretty decent quality. They are no doubt better than the stock Infinities that are featured in the cheaper Ibanez models and can compare pretty well to more expensive PUs. The overall tone of the guitar is a bit dark - which is due to the body wood, I guess - and provides enough output so that even a B-powerchord on the lowest strings still doesn't sound muddy. I think the PUs are best suited for metal and rock in general, but will find some good use in other genres as well. Before I got the guitar I've been thinking about swapping the stock PUs for the Liquifire/Crunchlab-combo, but so far I don't feel the necessity anymore as they please me as they are now.

Controls:

As said above, the guitar has a 5-way-selector. It gives a high variety of tones, usable both for the harder music and jazz, classic rock etc. as well. Besides that it's kept quite simple: One volume- and one tone-pot. Good enough for me. The tone pot provides enough diversity to please both the treble-lovers and the bass-junkies.

PU-Positions:

Pos. 1. Bridge-humbucker (series)

I guess it's the classic rhythm sound you'd want to get. Pretty chunky and loaded, bright and full sound when on clean. Sounds best with moderate to high gain.

Pos. 2. Inner coils of neck- and bridge-humbucker

For anyone who has a HSH-guitar: This position is quite comparable to the two split positions with the mid-SC. It delivers less punch than the bridge humbucker in series, obviously, but compensates with a nice portion of twang. It's not as trebly as the split bridge-HB and mid-SC position of a HSH-guitar but has a little more treble and less lows than the split neck-HB and mid-SC. Something in between, as I said. Sounds great on the clean channel.

Pos. 3. All four coils acitvated

I think this a well-known position for everyone who has a HH-guitar. It has quite the output, but due to the fact that every coil is active and delivers its own portion of frequencies it can get pretty muddy when playing with high gain, especially when playing chords. I prefer it for either playing leads on the higher strings or clean for full-sounding chords.

Pos. 4. Neck-humbucker (parallel)

The first guitar I ever got was a no-name-brand with a SSS-setup. From that on I've been mostly playing on my Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB, which is a HSH-Guitar. The ONLY thing I have been missing was a neck-singlecoil for some bluesier and funkier stuff. The neck-humbucker wired parallel is pretty much as good as it can get. It provides a noticeably higher output than a usual neck-singlecoil, but you can always tweak the volume pot a bit. It provides nice, stratocaster-like sounds. I prefer playing it either clean or with a little gain. It's my favourite position for playing clean so far.

Pos. 5. Neck-humbucker (series)

Not much to say here. High-output modern neck pickup, best suited for leads. Delivers a good portion of lows and mids and creates a nice and creamy or screaming sound, depending on your tone-pot setup. On clean it sounds very bassy and dark.

I gave the sound a 9, because I guess some of you might like a even higher output or some specific kind of sound. As I said, I'm completeley happy with how it sounds but a guitar can't please everyone and swapping pickups is nothing unusual. If you like you can trea this as a 9.5.

Just as soon as I got the last cent I needed to buy this beauty, I instantly bought it. Delivery took some time and when I unpacked it, it was slightly detuned. Well, I guess it's an expectable thing when the guitar is produces and set-up in February and never touched again since then. The intonation (=string length) wasn't set up correctly and I had a difference of about 20 cent on the 12th fret. It's not a major problem because I'm gonna change the stock string anytime soon anyway for a higher gauge (.10). The D'Addarios that it was strung with are too light for standard-B-tuning for me (seem like. 09). As changing strings and adjusting string length and height is a must-do for every instrument from time to time, I'm not going to rate it negatively as it has no far-reaching effect.

Besides that the finish is flawless and beautiful. Now markings or any other flaws. The guitar looks really amazing. The rare combination of woods (zircote, bubinga, wenge) is a real eye-catcher and I instantly fell in love with it.

I've only had good experiences with Ibanez guitars so far. I'm not planing to do any dangerous stuff with it and am generally a person who's rather overly cautious with his instruments. But considering the high quality of the woods and overall construction, I think this guitar could easily take a beating. Everything that should be solid is solid and the tremolo operates really smoothly. Pickups are screwed really well to the body and don't move at all and both volume and tone pot seem pretty firm.

I think this guitar matches my style really well. So far my Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB was my main guitar and I was looking for my first 7-string. Before I decided on this one I checked out different brands of guitars and manufacturers, but I could only find the specs I wanted in this one: 648 mm scale, 5-way PU-switch, versatility, kick-a-s look, 24 frets and nice trem. What I didn't want was the exact same guitar I already had but with one more string, so I purposely decided on a RG-series. The RG927WZCZ-NTF has a slightly bassier, fatter tone and due to having a different puckup configuration provides a whole new variety of tones for me. If this guitar were stolen or lost I'd probably jump off a bridge. There's virtually nothing I don't love about it. As I said, the only thing I miss is a strap, but that's a matter of peanuts. Besides that it's a really great guitar if you're looking for good-sounding guitar with nice optics and features you should definitely give it a take.

Sakke
    That guitar name will be easy to remember... Wish they did this exact guitar, only as an "S" model.
    mykahgump777
    at 2:45 how did he get that sound? I like it, a lot
    CorrosionMedia
    Coil split bridge pickup with not too much gain and lots of mids to make up for the scooped nature of a single coil. That's actually my main 7 string sound, but with a touch more gain.
    Dragonfyre137
    Important comment on the review I wrote here: I had to return the guitar as the lowest two string just wouldn't intonate correctly. Standard tuning (BEADGBE) with 10-56 string gauge. Attack, neck and everything set up perfectly, but a guitar that just doens't intonate isn't worth the 999€. I'm not sure if I got a lemon or it's a flaw to the model, but everyone considering buying it should be aware of it!
    Avant-Guardian
    Did you end up getting another one after you noticed the issue with the intonation? Thinking of picking myself up one of these things!
    Dragonfyre137
    I got a full refund for the guitar, excluding the costs for the strings that I replaced. I haven't bought a 7-string since then yet and I have notice that the guitar has disappeared from the Thomann cyberstore. Some other stores that still have it offer it for 1.099,00€, which is 100 € more than the original price I got it for. To be honest I've been keeping my eyes open for a 7-string with a 5-way switch and a trem but haven't had any luck so far (the Ibanez RG7420pb isn't available in Europe, sadly). I kinda considering giving this guitar another shot, hoping I just got a lemon and it's not a problem for the whole product line. I'll make sure to let you know here in the comments if (and when) I get it again. I'd be glad if you did the same. Wish you luck!