RG 1420 FR review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG 1420 FR

Purchased from: Indian Creek guitars

This guitar sounds better than all tonewood combos I've tried until now. This guitar is my 13th guitar and I've now played through lots of build types and tonewood combos. Plain basswood bodies don't work for me. It just gets this funny woofy undefined, (but still brutal grind) sound when striking an open E5 chord through a high gain stack. Now I think the maple top on this guitar def corrects this to a beautiful defined, very balanced high and low and still retains that brutal grind sound brought from the basswood. I feel it is sonically suited for all styles of music. I'm into lots of styles of music metal, zouk, reggae, jazz etc... And that's why I want my one guitar to sound brilliant on all types. The V6 humbuckers on this guitar function really well for all styles. Just use your ear and set the volume and tone knob according to the type of music your playing and your good to go. This thing is a 10 in my book because I can cover all musical styles with just my stock guitar controls and a simple Roland Cube 20X.

I'm 29 years old atm I've played guitar since I was 17.I used to be all about metal but I've matured into a player that likes all kinds of styles. My guitar needs to evolve with me so no more EMG's, 22fretters or TOM bridges to limit me. This guitar sounds good with a basic amp like a Roland Cube 20X. I haven't plugged it into my 5150 head yet, but I think the results are def leaning towards the good side. My only gripe with this guitar aesthetically is that its just missing the binding. Check out the new premium RG line they have beautiful binding along the body, neck and headstock. I still got the RG prestige because the Japanese are notorious for build quality and it was loads cheaper than the INDO made RG premium. I really wanted to try out the Maple/Basswood body combo cause its the only one I hadnt tried yet. As written above its my favorite combo til now. Very balanced and can be brutal as well. If it were lost I'd def look up a affordable model with the same specs. Premium perhaps?

This guitar is as mentioned above very solid. All components are solid. The question to use it on a gig without backup is simply stupid, because string breakage can occur at any given moment. On stage the adrenaline can sometimes make you pull and dig in harder on the strings than normal causing breakage. But if you can keep cool and play in a relaxed fashion and only own 1 guitar. I'd say you have a good chance of making it with just this one guitar.

I got this guitar from Indian Creek guitars. It was refurbished so it had a tiny paint imperfection on the back of the body, but I got it for a great price so can't complain. The rest of the guitar is absolutely stunning. Very nice Maple top, frets are prestige worthy. All components very solid on this guitar. No need to fix or swap anything. Edge pro trem speaks for itself. Tuners look allot like gotoh tuners, but they have nothing writen on them. This baby holds tuning very good so I'll leave it as is. I'm trying to be as critical as possible but I cannot subtract anything in this department sorry.

Spec sheet: Ibanez 10th Anniversary RG1420 Prestige Electric Guitar Features: - Model: 10th Anniversary RG1420 Prestige - Neck: 5-piece maple/walnut - Neck type: Wizard Prestige - Body: basswood - Top: flamed maple - Frets: 24 jumbo frets - Fingerboard: rosewood - Inlays: pearl dots - Neck pickup: V6F - Bridge pickup: V6F - Controls: Volume, Tone, 5-way selector - Hardware: Cosmo black - Bridge: Edge Pro tremolo Excellent specs from Ibanez I subtracted 1 point because this guitar would visually and spec wise def be a 10 if it had some of that gorgeous pearloid Ibanez binding.

Leather Sleeves
    Ibanez makes some good stuff. But even though I've evolved as a guitarist and got a 24 fretter with a LFR I still go back to my 22 fret tune-o-matic Ibanez srz 520 for certain things, it's just a great axe.
    Grassyknolls
    after playing ibanez's with wood combos i can't play another basswood one. my RGA has mohagany and maple on the body, sounds amazing. but i feel you on the bridge. i wish my RGA had a edge trem on it... that's the only thing it's lacking. too bad the only comprable model to it is 2400 dollars.
    nido
    white_ibanez10 wrote: 10 rating for sound when it only costs you 800 bucks. Thats weird.
    the normal price new is $1200-$1300. And that is to say Ive rated it as best sounding guitar that I have personally played up til now.
    nido
    I answered why I found 22frets and a fixed bridge limiting. Feeling and melody is never mentioned in my review. So I think vegamaiden would have to answer that one as he mentioned it first in his post.
    Zeletros
    nido wrote: supersac wrote: vegamaiden95 wrote: yeah, most guitarists evolve into a 24 fret - floating bridge guitar user, but i like to use 22 frets and not moving bridge though, cause i use a guitar with a floyd rose at school, but it doesnt compare to my guitar in terms of sustain, im just more into feeling and melody than into speed and technique (although i can do both), but it would also be awesome to have a guitar with FR how does having two more frets and a floyd stop you from having"feeling and melody"? also who said you cant have feeling and melody with great technique and speed? i just found something wrong with that post that i wish to be clarified I practice some of Satriani's songs and if you really wanna get it right you'll need a trem.Same goes for the 24th frets.Some songs make use of em and if they are not there your gonna have to come up with something else for instance that G major arp played in glasgow kiss - JP.
    I didn't answer either of the questions
    nido
    Most_Triumphant wrote: How in anyway does 24 frets and a floating trem mean you've grown into a better guitarist? Saying that shows you haven't "evolved" into the best. Some of the best guitarists ever used 22 frets and no trem.
    See my other post^.Some of the greats do make use of 24 frets and trem in their songs and its better to have it than not when your trying to cover said songs.
    nutinpwnsgibson
    Giorgosm10 wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: 9natedawg wrote: Does anyone know what model Joe Satriani's guitar is? Ibanez JS series (his own signature). JS1000, JS1200 and JS2400 he doesnt use the JS100(its just an medium/entry level guitar with floyd Rose )
    technically he doesn't use any of those, the ones he actually uses are custom made for artists and way better than any models that are purchasable
    Most_Triumphant
    Sorry for the double post, but I do love Ibanez guitars, they sound great, priced decently and are built well.
    Most_Triumphant
    zombiemuncher50
    love this guitar i have one of my own i also have a fender telecaster , gibson es-355 , schecter damon 6 and a gibson les paul but this is my favorite
    supersac
    katalyzt13
    against my better judgement I may be going into the realm of floyd rose equipped guitars again, because it is the only way I can find a guitar with the options I want that also has a 14" radius. As much as I love the necks on Ibanez guitars, this will not be it, however.
    alex_crawford
    i dont feel like it's limiting, but i definitely would prefer to have a floyd rose, it just gives you so many more options, plus i have different guitars for different tunings. 24 frets though is a MUST.
    DimebagZappa
    How is a tom limiting? Sure no trem, but thats usually not an issue. Did I miss something?
    vegamaiden95
    Scarf'd Up
    blackbird51 wrote: If i had a dollar for every review that is based on a Roland Cube i would be filthy rich. ..
    Giorgosm10
    blackbird51
    MaggaraMarine
    9natedawg wrote: Does anyone know what model Joe Satriani's guitar is?
    Ibanez JS series (his own signature).