RG 8420 ZD review by Ibanez

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 9.4 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.6 (28 votes)
Ibanez: RG 8420 ZD
0

Price paid: $ 1800

Sound — 9
The pickups is powerful and has a nice sound for rock and metal. At the same time, you can have a Strat kind of a clean sound, because it can splitt the humbuckers to single coils, so the guitar is very versatile in sound. I only use a Dunlop Crybaby wah wah and a DigiTech Whammy IV into a Marshall AVT 10, and I love the guitar sound. It has a lot of options in sound and all of them sound very, very good.

Overall Impression — 10
I play a lot of rock and instumental rock/metal like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. The guitar suits my playing styles good. I've been playing for 3 years and was ready for a new guitar. I don't use a lot of effects, and I don't think it's necessary. When I was going to buy a new guitar, it stood between Music Man JP6, Jackson SL-1 and this one, and I don't regret for buying this guitar. I chose this guitar because I felt that it had everything I needed on a guitar. This guitar is worth trying out, and are worth the money.

Reliability & Durability — 10
I haven't tried the guitar Live, but I think it will stand a Live show with out problems, if you use it properly. The hardware works so good that I don't think thats the weak spot on this guitar. The strap buttons are very good, but needs to be tighten now and then, but since the guitar comes with straplocks, it probably won't be a problem. The finish is good and if you polish the guitar and take care of the guitar, it will last for a long time. I've had this guitar for a half week, but I think the finish can take a lot of beating.

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
Since the guitar is a custom shop guitar, and the seller was the first owner and the guitar only had been played for 3 hours, it was very good set up, it was even tuned perfectly. The pickups are monunted straight to the body and are very well mounted to the body. The bridge is very well routed for the tremolo and you can really pull the bridge up. The hardware doesn't make any sound and works very well.

Features — 8
This guitar was made by Team J Craft in Japan in 2008. This guitar is very well built, since it's made by the best builders in The Ibanez Company. The neck is a five piece "super Wizard" neck (maple and walnut). I think this neck is in a good way different from other wizard necks. The neck profile is thin, witch makes it easy to play fast. It has 24 fret fretboard with "Tree Of Life Inlay" inlays. The bpdy is made of African mahogany and has a flamed maple top that's looks amazing in the color of red. The bridge is the new Edge Zero with the "zero-point" system witch works perfectly fine. When it's set up properly (it comes from the factory very well set up) it stays perfectly in tune, even after heavy use. But I don't recommend you to change bridge settings on a gig, because you'll need to retune the guitar (at least I had to do it). I experienced that the tremolo arm made som sounds, but the seller said that they will go away after some use. The electronics is passive and this guitar comes with Seymour Duncans. In the bridge position it has a Seymour DuncanR CUSTOM 5 TB-14 and in the bridge position it has a Seymour DuncanR JAZZ model SH2-n. The pickup selector is a 5-way Switch. The guitar also has a volum nob and a tone nob. It comes with a J custom case identical to the Prestige cases. It also comes with wrenches, straplocks from Gotoh, and the coolest thing is the certificate that comes with the guitar luthiers signature and all other documents.

27 comments sorted by best / new / date

    One-FISH-
    I'm sold... Too bad I don't have 1800-2400 (Which is somewhere between what you'll actually pay for the ZD...
    olehha
    I bought my j-custom for $ 2000. it is the best guitar I've ever played on!
    ibanezcustomman
    filthylittleboy wrote: fyi, you can't make a killswitch, because ibanez guitar knobs aren't set up that way. I don't know how to explain, but don't waste your money if you think it's going to be able to do that....
    it's possible but it's not a good guitar if that's what you want to do with your guitar. this guitar is in my opinion made for clean and high gain dist. not R.A.T.M
    filthylittleboy
    fyi, you can't make a killswitch, because ibanez guitar knobs aren't set up that way. I don't know how to explain, but don't waste your money if you think it's going to be able to do that....
    ibanezcustomman
    DualReaver wrote: Was this review written by a five year old?
    Shut the f*** up and go make a better review if you want
    The^Unforgiven
    I don't think that $1800 is too much. Sure, I don't have that much to blow, but if I had, I'd sure spend on something like this.
    Tedward
    DualReaver wrote: Was this review written by a five year old?
    No it was written by a Norweigan. Kthnxbye And 1800 isn't a ridiculous price, its high of course, but its cheaper than most stock Gibsons, for a questionably better guitar. And a Deluxe Fender Strat is 1500, to put things in perspective.
    justine3563
    ibanez guitars are really the best!from appearance to performance,it rocks!i wouldnt have a second thought of buying this j custom guitar because i know there would be no reason for doubts.its worth the price!
    dazm
    My best friend plays this guitar. I have tried it out, and yes, it sounds and plays like a dream. That said I would like to comment that where "bang for your buck" and "killer sound and playability" meet in harmony you will find a Gibson (like my SG) outranks the Ibanez in most every regard. Don't get me wrong, I like Ibanez and own an RG 550 myself, but ever since I first picked up that SG there's been nothing that compares. (my 2 cents)
    Serjem
    5way switch is great because you can make a killswitch out of it too..
    ibanezcustomman
    doive wrote: why would you need a 5-way selector on something with 2 humbuckers? or is that to put the coil tap in? surely it'd get frustrating accidently switching to singles when you meant to just switch to the neck for some rhythm?
    It's easy to switch with 5-way switch. I'd think it's better than a coil tap on one of the nobs. But it's obviously a personal choice and I like this switch.
    Vabolo
    You say you can get strat sounds out of it, but could you really get a semi-authentic Jimi Hendrix sound from it with some fuzz? Anyways, I checked the inlays, and they are kick***. Not the most kick*** in the guitar world, but still more kick*** than shiny dots.
    doive
    why would you need a 5-way selector on something with 2 humbuckers? or is that to put the coil tap in? surely it'd get frustrating accidently switching to singles when you meant to just switch to the neck for some rhythm?
    ibanezcustomman
    FireBirdKing wrote: stephen_rettie wrote: SOADriff wrote: Shit...1800 is a little over the top don't you think? not if you look at what its competing with, it tops just about everything in the price range. fantastic build quality and hardware. the J customs are incredible. Plus its ibanez. Ibanez makes the best guitars for the money.
    That's right, Ibanez makes good guitars too reasonable prices. This guitar plays like nothing i've tried before
    FireBirdKing
    stephen_rettie wrote: SOADriff wrote: Shit...1800 is a little over the top don't you think? not if you look at what its competing with, it tops just about everything in the price range. fantastic build quality and hardware. the J customs are incredible.
    Plus its ibanez. Ibanez makes the best guitars for the money.
    againsteternity
    Grevious555 wrote: That is one niiiice lookin guitar.
    I said the exact same thing when I looked at it
    stephen_rettie
    SOADriff wrote: Shit...1800 is a little over the top don't you think?
    not if you look at what its competing with, it tops just about everything in the price range. fantastic build quality and hardware. the J customs are incredible.
    ibanezcustomman
    It cost more than 1800 dollars. I bought this guitar in Norway for ca 1800 dollars (11 500 nok) but it would cost more, since it has to be sendt from Japan. I think the guitar is worth the price and that it's better than a Prestige. I have not tried the guitar on fuzz, but on clean it sound much like a strat
    Slicer666
    Jugulator_cro wrote: Nice, but, is it really worth the gigantic price?
    for a "custom shop" model I think 1800 is actually quite low, I think that most other brands sell their custom shop models for at least 2500
    ReaperSquirrell
    SOADriff wrote:not a all if you have the money go for it if guitar is your passion then 1800 is a small price Shit...1800 is a little over the top don't you think?