RGA121 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA121

Purchased from: Guitar Village

Well I mainly play Metal and hard rock and I feel this is perfect, I own a Gibson SG and Jackson Charvel also and I have to say this guitar is my favourite. The neck is probably the smoothest, fastest neck I have ever tried but I was expecting that as it is a Prestige Neck. I play Extreme, Testament, Megadeth, Metallica, Paul Gilbert stuff and it's perfect for it. I am using a Marshall 100DFX and a MT2 with it and it sounds perfect for hard rock and metal, The neck pickup is great for lead runs and fast shredding, I feel the bridge pickup is pretty good as well seen as quite a few people slate it, I personally found it decent. The guitar is versatile, it sounds great on the clean channel as well as a distorted one and I think it would fit many styles such as Jazz for example. Metal riffs sound great on this guitar too, any Metallica, Megadeth stuff is just right.

It fits rock and metal perfectly, it would also fit death metal and or any heavy stuff especially if you throw in some heavy gauge strings, it would sound amazing with the Gibralter bridge, it would be fine for jazz as well though it's versatile for sure. I have been playing almost 3 years now and there are a fair few guitars in my house including Gibson Les Paul, Fender Korean Strat, Charvel, Gibson SG, Washburn Acoustic and this Ibanez is my top choice, it has the best neck iv ever played. I knew a fair bit about the product before buying by reading a lot of reviews and I also called up Guitar Village and had a chat, I will say though do not be swayed by the negative comments on the bridge pickups (the V8 'I think') because it can be a little noisy but it still sounds great. If it was stolen or lost I would definately replace it, it's something I need now. I love everything about it really, I originally thought about getting an Ibanez with a locked trem but when I saw this I had my mind fixed on it and I'm happy that happened. It was difficult for me to find a store which had this guitar so I could try it, but I just tried other similar Ibanez's as they had similar specifications, I liked them quite a lot as well infact I am quite a fan of Ibanez now. However Overall, it was a great purchase, the case rocks and I would never sell it, it's brilliant.

I reckon the guitar will take Live playing and I certainly would have this as my first choice if I was playing Live. I think the hardware will last but I have only had it for a month so difficult to say, the strap buttons are very solid. I would take a backup guitar to a gig but that's just because I believe in doing that as anything could happen, but I would depend on this guitar and it would always be my first choice for a gig. The finish is fine right now but as I say there has been comments that the finish does wear off at the back, I personally haven't experianced this yet.

The guitar came in tune and set up very well, the action is low and pretty much perfect which I found great seen as my previous guitars had a fairly high action. The pickups were set up fine, the guitar had no flaws at all and I'm still using the strings they put on, whatever they are they sound good. I feel that it had been well looked after at guitar village as there is no scratches or marks, and I have heard that it's not hard to mark this guitar due to it's natural finish. The bridge was also fitted perfectly, infact the bridge is a real nice part of the guitar it's easy to play metal riffs on it and it sounds great.

This Ibanez was made in japan which is a plus, it has 24 jumbo frets I believe, it is the Violin Flat version which is a red finish but you cn still see the wood. It has a 5pc Wizard Maple/Walnut neck and a Mahogany body, the bridge is a Gibraltar Plus bridge. The Pickups are the V7 and V8 both humbuckers, they are suppose to be made by dimarzio I think but don't count on that. 5-way selector, there is no locked trem on this guitar as it has no trem bar which makes sense. I bought this from Guitar Village and they provided me with a Ibanez Prestige hard case which I must say is pretty damn good, however there was no strap in there just a 'Manual'.

donfeliz
    is the bridge height adjustable? it seems like it is but Im not positive.....