RGA32 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA32

Purchased from: GAK

Mostly I play metal, however lately I have been venturing towards pink floyd and other lighter material. The LZ3 active pickups in the guitar are lovely for metal with tight lows and good mids and treble response. However, even after replacing batteries and adjusting pickup height on the guitar I found cleans hard to aquire. I have played this through a Peavey Valveking, a Bugera 6262 and a Vox ac30 it provides a nice warm tone for the most due to the mahogany however the actives tend to push the amps into overdrive/distortion quite quickly. However the guitar is very quiet just not so great at clean tones.

My overall impression of this guitar is that while it suits my style of playing mostly metal it may not be for everyone without a pickup change. I have been playing 3 and a half years and played bass 4 years previous to that. I wish I had looked at Jackson a bit more before buying this guitar just to compare the feels however I took a risk and I'm very pleased with it. If someone stole the guitar I would definately buy a new one if I had the chance as it is a delight to play. The only the I could say is I wish the cleans where better.

This guitar will most certainly withstand live playing and could easily be used as a main guitar preferably with a pick-up change. I have owned the guitar for about 6 months now and the only problem has been scratches on the back due to my belt buckle. It has been dropped a few times as a result of me being clumsy, the strap buttons are huge and easily hold a strap in placce however I may still exchange them for strap locks out of preference. I do not see this guitar failing on me anytime soon or in the projected future.

The action on the guitar was great when it arivved pretty much ready to play with the pickups at a good height. My only gripes about the guitar was that a couple of the frets higher up hadnt been cut properly and where still sharp and some of the finish wasn't applied as thickly around the pick up selector. Apart from these minor defects which where easy to fix the guitar was perfect

This 24 fret superstrat style guitar was made in indonesia in 2009. The guitar is made with a mahogany body with a 3 piece maple wizard 2 bolt on neck with rosewood fingerboard with white binding, it features basic Dot inlays nothing fancy but practical. The gibraltar bridge was something new to me (previously always played tune-o-matics) it didn't feel too different however it did feel smoother to rest agaist while playing and provided much better sustain that a tune-o-matic. Features 1 volume and 1 tone knob and a 3 way blade style pick up selector. Standard Ibanez tuners and nut. The model I own is the european only natural mahogany finish and it is beautiful the only downside is that it didn't come with the active eq Switch that other Rga's feature.

Kortez3000
    Stuntaxe wrote: It looks like a boring guitar and with no Floyd Rose its useless. My 2 cetns.
    Floyd Roses are overrated.
    !-twisty-!
    the natural version is beautiful and i dont see how not having a floyd makes a guitar useless.
    MofoZofo
    !-twisty-!
    MofoZofo wrote: Overrated ? How could it be, it's an add on... Theres no such thing as overrated on a guitar piece.. It's originally known for it's quality not for it's name...
    its overated as it makes changing tuning frequently a hassle and reduces sustain compared to string through/ tune o matic style bridges
    Oh That Dude
    RGA... I'unno, not a fan of Ibanezzes personally. Whatever, at least you've played through a decent amp and sound like you know what you're talking about.
    Disturbdkornkid
    Pretty sure my buddy got one of these recently in black for $300 C, looks very nice. I think the RGA's are the only R series I would buy because of the arched top.
    Kvilvik
    A friend of mine has the RGA-32, and he replaced the neck pickup with the Ibanez INF3, he run it trough a Randall RH 150 and it sounds GREAT!
    Prefab Funk
    Due to the overwhelming demand for the RG321(which is currently out of stock & not available in many areas)it has been upgraded to the RGA32, & has the same mahogany body & 24 fret configuration as the RG321.
    Shoji001
    looks like what we have come to expect from ibanez! not a big fan of superstrats but its still quite pretty.
    bustapr
    Ugh, I hate active pickups, theyre more annoying than a floyd rose, having to change batteries and all. Looks like I did well choosing my baby, rg321mh over this one.
    ruletheneck
    good review, but i don't agree with your points about higher frets and cleans. i tried it out at the music shop and all the frets seemed perfectly tuned (although i suppose that your guitar could have been a little unlucky in the manufacturing process, as things do happen) i got an easy, good clean out of it, although i admit i only put it through one amp because i was looking for playability as opposed to pickup tone. either way, i agree with everything else you said
    Stuntaxe
    It looks like a boring guitar and with no Floyd Rose its useless. My 2 cetns.