RGA42 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA42

Purchased from: Route 62 Music Ebay

I play it on a Crate FW212 through my Boss ME-20 and play everything from chilli peppers to Slipknot and Parkway Drive, so it handles any genre of music perfectly. The pickups don't make noise at all and can take any amounts of distortion and effects with endless sustain. I am upgrading the pickups to EMG 81/85 for better tone, but if this guitar was equipted with them it would be perfect.

I've been playing for about 3 years and play everything from blues to hardcore with my Boss ME-20 and Crate amp and sounds perfect for anystyle you throw at it. If it were stolen I would definatly buy another one. I also own an Ibanez S320 (which I now only use for drop b and a) and fell in love with the RGA42 as you can quickly and easily change tunings without having to unscrew everything and re tune like you would with a floyde rose. My favourite feature are the neck and bridge witch are both extremely comfortable. Everything about this guitar is perfect the only thing you could improve on is the pickups to maybe EMG's DiMarzio's

I would definatly play without a backup, thehard looks like it will last for years to come, the strap buttons are solid but I use strap locks just to make sure I don't drop it, the finsh is great and doesn't mark that much by fingerprints. I could withstand live playing easily just remmber to bring spare batteries cause the pickups run on them and as they loose there power the tend to cut back on tone.

Out of the box it was set up pretty well, I just had to adjust the action a bit lower to what I'm used to, which was made really simple with the gibraltar bridge all you have t do is turn one screw. No flaws, everything was made very well and is top quallity (what you can expect from Ibanez).

Made inindonesia in 2009, 24 jumbo frets, extremely fast and comfortable 3 piece wizard 2 neck, easy access to all frets. String through fixed bridge provide endless sustain, mine is finished with a purple coloured finish not sure what it is called, 1 volume noob, 3 way pickup selector, active eq for bass boost or treble cut and two active pickups running on AA batteries.

ridiculouseeeee
    Just got the 42FM. I can't find one flaw with it, other than I have big hands and the volume knob and keeps getting in the way when I'm palm-muting. Plays like a beast on steroids tho.
    Gibanez
    Good reviews both of 'em. I'm probably going to purchase RGA42FM and now I've got a question: I always play in Drop B(parkway drive is my fav band) and with my current guitar I have to tune it after each song, cause it's gone completley out of tune.. How does this guitar handle Drop B?
    Gibanez
    How does this guitar handle Drop B? I always play in Drop B and with my current guitar it's useless..
    Wynne_Man
    I have a Ibanez RGA32 and i was wondering what the difference is between the two
    lolometer1
    i like how a lot of these comments are just reviews of the review :3 anyway i think i'd go for the rga32 purely because it's cheaper and the only difference is a nob in place of the eq which i probably wouldn't use that much. so when i get the money it'll be straight to the local music shop for one of those
    The^Unforgiven
    Killordie
    I'm getting the RGA72QM in a month or so. It has the same pick-ups but a different finish, shark-tooth inlays and is neck-through. I've played the RGA42 in a local guitar shop and found even the cleans to be surprisingly good. Love the EQ switch I would recommend this for any hard rock/metal guitarist.
    ybselgo
    The^Unforgiven wrote: Does anyone know what gauge strings this thing has stock? I'm pretty sure that this is my next guitar, as I want something without a tremolo this time, but I want to use .10 strings - is the nut cut correctly for a .10 set?
    Mine came with .9's and I switched them to .11's with no problem, just needed a slight intonation tweak. Only problem with mine is that the EQ just died, so gonna have to get that repaired or maybe swapped for a tone pot...
    17_dayz
    cybeer237 wrote: Im thinking to buy the RGA42FM, so what u think? and i want to know the difference between RGA42, RGA42T and RGA42FM, anyone can help?
    The difference between the 42T and the others is that the the 42T has an edge III on it, other than that there is none