RGA42 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA42

Purchased from: American Musical

I'm not too sure about the sound at the moment as I can't plug it in anytime soon. Without an amp it has EXCELLENT sustain. Notes ringing audibly for close to 30 seconds.

I play most of the mainstream stuff heard on the radio, along with old metal/rock slowly learning the new metal. If this guitar were lost, I would ABSOLUTELY buy another. Its the best sub 400$ guitar I have ever played, let alone seen.

I don't see any guitar not withstanding live playing unless you think you should be able to bounce it off the stage. I believe the hardware will last and although solid, the strap buttons will be replaced with locking buttons. I don't depend on ANY guitar enough to not have a backup.

Factory setup was alright, minor adjustments and now the action is better than most 2,000$ guitars. The body finish is flawless. The cavity covers however are not. Rough edges not a big deal though. I took care of the problem in 2 minutes with some sandpaper.

Manufactured 5/27/09, 24 frets, wizard 2 neck, Mahogony body with a flamed maple top. Bright blue burst kinda looks grey/blue in normal lighting conditions. Gibraltar Standard bridge. Its a bolt on neck. Active LZ3 pickups. 1 volume with a 3 way selector and an EQ switch. Came included with the keys to adjust everything - a screwdriver lol and a instrument cable. For a guitar at this price I couldn't ask for more.

tfpoec2
    This baby is really good for its price. I bought it with the hopes of finally having a guitar that's versatile enough to play sparkling cleans and ground shaking distortion and everything else in between; I have to say i'm very pleased with the outcome. The stock i got had a scratch though, and some discrepancies in the paint job (Some small paint bubbles near the pups) but these are hardly noticeable. Whenever i compare it to my other guitar, a dean vendetta 1.0 fitted with a super distortion for the bridge, the RGA42 has a lot more clarity but less of the chug goodness the vendetta delivers but that is to be expected specially when you consider the upgrade it got and not to mention it has a bigger body even though they're both mahogany.
    Rodney Rocket
    I orderd one in Bright Blue Burst and it is to arrive this Friday! Time for some Killswitch Engage "My Curse"
    Bretto77
    I'm from the UK and got the RGA42FM about 18 months ago. WOW, what a guitar. The feel is fantastic, well balanced and doesn't tip when resting it on your knee or hanging on the strap. It has a fairly low action, so it plays quick. and the sound is really clean when played without distortion, and gets really heavy when played through a distortion pedal (I like Deftones, Machine Head, Stone Sour, ect.). The Guitar came with size 11 strings, but i did change them to 10's about 2 months ago. I had to send it to the shop to get the intonation and action adjusted to suit the new size strings (recommend you do the same if you change the strings and if you don't know what your doing like me, the sound will be crap, I tried). I highly recommend this guitar for any level player. Enjoy.
    tfpoec2
    Mine has blackouts. Killer look, killer sound, great affordable price in my country.
    Adam278
    What is better this or a schecter omen extreme? Both are 299, I need a little help choosing, it would be the european version, without the flamed maple top