RGA7-BK review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA7-BK

Price paid: € 479

Purchased from: Dijkmans

I mostly play metal and jazz and this guitar is made for the two. Many people often label 7 and 8 strings as metal but they were actually first used in jazz for extended sound and/or adding bass lines. It is easily classified as "perfect" when it comes to playing with distortion and when playing clean you might have to toggle the switches for some time to get the right tone. Even in Standard tuning, the strings sound low-tuned so having the switches on low can result in some heavy tunes. The sound is divided quite nicely and there are no problems between the low and high strings. I play this through my Peavey ValveKing 118 (I believe, though not quite sure) with the clean settings on average 5 and the distortion configuration as: gain-10, bass-10, mid-0, high-10 and the bright Switch on. I keep it pretty simple.

From day one, I had the feeling that this guitar could force me to innovate my style and playing and so far, I think it has. Not only has it pushed me to write in a 7 stringed tab, it also made me think outside the box in relation to scales, chords and arpeggios. I think this is a great metal and jazz guitar but I believe it could fulfill the needs of even the most die-hard polka musician out there. It saddens me that extended range guitars have been labelled as "METAHL!!!" and "Nu-Metal", but lately it has been changing for better, with these beautiful instruments taking a turn for the more technical, progressive side of the field with bands as Animals As Leaders, Scale The Summit, Dream Theater and Meshuggah. If this guitar was stolen then by God, I would hunt that person down and do things to him/her that not even the deepest, foulest aspects of the mind can measure to. Yeah... I'm that serious.

This guitar will surely withstand live action and I would feel assured without a backup guitar as I think this guitar would not show drastic changes on the minute. For the time I've had it, it has showed endurance and quality as there have been no problems with the finish or the hardware. It stays in tune and sounds well all the time.

It is a black RG Ibanez model with a pinstripe. The action is quite moderate, not too high, not too low. It is easy to reach the high frets (21, 22, etc.) and sometimes you don't even realize how high up the fretboard you are because there are no setbacks. The guitar stays in tune on Standard and maybe drop A tunings (AEADGBA) but going lower results in a bit of a mess. It has a rosewood fretboard with Dot inlays which look really well on the black body although being a fan of Steve Vai, I would not have minded wine inlays with an ebony neck. I've had this guitar for about a month of two and so far, no adjustments were needed. It came in top shape and still is.

Details: Colour: black Construction Type: Solid body Neck construction: Bolted neck Strings: 7-string Frets: 24 Body: mahogany Fret board: Rosewood Fretboard Inlays: Dot inlays Pickup type: Active Pickup Neck: IBZ LZ 7-N Pickup Bridge: IBZ LZ 7-B Pick up selecter: 3-way switch Controls: 1x volume, body split switch Bridge / Tremolo: Fixed bridge Hardware: cosmo black

Grimpond
    One-FISH-
    I'm fairly certain there is a dedicated community of UG readers that feel the need to attack every Ibanez guitar review ever for no reason at all. I sure hope these people do not play Fenders.....
    Metalcore Jero
    This is definetly NOT worth a ten. Seven at most for what youre paying for it, and as EpiExplorer said, you can get a much better agile for this price and walk away with a lot more and be a lot happier. I sold mine after two weeks because this wasn't even worth modifying
    Petar
    kamjam7 wrote: I've always wanted something from the RG series, but the customer reviews i've read from various sites all say either they love it because it sounds great and the neck is fast, or they hate it cause it either falls out of tune, and/or they have to switch pickups, but never both. Ever Review just confuses me haha...
    I have one. Neck is fast and beautiful, although it has a tendency to bend sometimes (not affecting playing tho). U can switch the pups (I have chepaer model, RG350EX with INF pickups), but the stock pups arent that bad. I can pull even a great blues tone out of it! Sure, it isnt PAF or DiMarzio or SD but still, for no-name pickups they sound great. High output too, especially if you get them near strings. Oh, the tremolo. As far as I know, there are three floating trems available for RG models: Edge Pro, Edge Zero and Edge III. Edge III sucks. Period. It has tendency to fall out of tune, has "two modes" (depending if you just did a pull or push on trem, the strings sound lower/higher). Also, the paint came off pretty quickly. Basically it stays in tune and is good, if you dont do any heavy bending with it. BUT if you wanted that, youd get a fixed bridge, right? Thankfully, because of patent/license problems, the routings and drill holes are exact match for Original Floyd Rose, so you can change it yourself. I havent heard anything but praise for Edge Pro and Zero trems. They may be licensed FR trems, but it seems that they perform as well as OFR. There you go, I hope that cleaned up some questions you had .
    kamjam7
    MatasTeen
    Grimpond wrote: What the hell is a body split switch? the RGA7 has a pickup selector and a mid scoop switch. its great when a reviewer doesnt know squat about guitars or ther own instrument
    Excuse me not being English, not living there and being told that it is (In dutch) : Lichaam splitter. I just translated it since I didn't really research it or anything. So.. Thanks for not taking the time to notice the store name or anything... sure...
    lukas1324
    ^.^ i wish reviews were a bit better.... at least people are positive about there purchase. but i mean COME ON! lol
    evan-simpson22
    Ever max out your mids while playing a 7 string? sounds like me in the bathroom after eating mcdonalds...
    EpiExplorer
    Lost me there, too.
    EpiExplorer
    MatasTeen wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Drop A tuning would be AEADGBE. But anyway, the review sounded so unsure of itself, its put me off buying this altogether. Besides, I look at this and think 'I can get an Agile for the same price and have much more for my money'. Even in Standard tuning, the strings sound low-tuned so having the switches on low can result in some heavy tunes Lost me there, too. I meant that keeping everything on the neck pickups makes it sound low and bass-ish and the body splitter has the same effect when pointed towards the player. I also miss-spelled the tuning. You had it right, excuse me. Also what I maybe forgot to mention is that the guitar can handle lower tunings (although it detunes sometimes and that actually only counts for the low B string) and it is actually made to be in a lower setting. Please excuse my mistakes.
    Oh its alright dude, I bet its just trying to phrase everything properly which can be a problem. Oh its alright man,
    Geldin
    [QUOTE=MatasTeen]I have had many setting changes but keeping the high and bass gave me both the rhythmic and lead sound. It's not as bad as you might think.[/QUOTE] No. It's much worse. Scooping mids like that is always going to give a poor sound.
    MatasTeen
    NickGiovanni wrote: average 5 and the distortion configuration as: gain-10, bass-10, mid-0, high-10 and the bright Switch on. I keep it pretty simple. No wonder it always sounds low-tuned to you, you're playing with no mids. There can be no blazing metal solos without Mids dude. Turn the bass down to 6 or 7, and turn the mids up to 5 or 6 and you'll hear a major difference
    MatasTeen
    This has taught me more than anyone. First review by the way and I didn't sleep that night Excuses aside, I'm not a master at guitars so... Sorry ifI upset anyone :/
    NickGiovanni
    Darkkon
    SilverSpurs616 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Drop A tuning would be AEADGBE. But anyway, the review sounded so unsure of itself, its put me off buying this altogether. Besides, I look at this and think 'I can get an Agile for the same price and have much more for my money'. Even in Standard tuning, the strings sound low-tuned so having the switches on low can result in some heavy tunes Lost me there, too. I could swear you comment on every review that comes through here xD but I agree. Besides which, I don't believe anything when it's given 10's
    He does. EpiExplorer, I am amazed at how much I can hate some things you write, yet love other things.
    SilverSpurs616
    bardan
    I know this is an old post, but for anyone thinking of buying the RGA7, here's my 2cents... Firstly, I have no idea how anyone can give the sound of this guitar anymore than 6/10. The pickup are terrible!! However... Change the pickups (mine now has SD Blackouts), swap the EQ Switch with a tone pot, Replace the crappy nut, and you have one VERY nice guitar! I own alot of Guitars. This one is now one of my faves. It looks awesome, especially with the new pickups . It plays really well too. I mainly use it for lead but it's a good all-rounder. And ofcourse it sounds Awesome with the Blackouts. 10/10 !!!