RGA7-BK review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: RGA7-BK

Purchased from: www.intune.no

I use only a Roland Cube 30 amp, and Line 6 TonePort UX2 through my computer and into headphones, but I do think the sound is pretty good. I play mostly heavily distorted, Darkseed style, music, and the pickups handles that really well, with some, but not too much noise to be bothered about it. Also the occasional clean song, but I haven't tested that extensively enough yet, but from what I hear, it should do fine there too. I've found that I like the sound best when turning off the Active EQ, and pointing the Switch downwards, to Treble. It gets too muddy for my taste with it set on Rhythm. I do not like the active sound of the pickups that much, and will probably change into passive ones later.

For me, playing mostly metal-ish music, it is a really good match. It looks awesome, not the Standard look, and feels very good. I have been playing for about 5 years, and this guitar feels like it matches my level, plus some more. I bought it because I wanted to upgrade from a Peavey 7-string, and it is definitely a good upgrade. My only regret is that I don't live in the U.S. when I bought it. Half the price over there :-P I love the body, the colour and arched top, the neck and the general feeling of holding and playing this guitar. It has the same body and neck as the Prestige model, but that one costs A LOT more! I don't like the pick-ups that much, nor the Active EQ-switch. And I will fix the volume knob. So, except for those thing I really like it. I have owned it now for two months and have played it a little every day, and I don't regret buying it at all. (I must also stress the fact that this is the best guitar I have ever owned and played, therefore many of you might think the scores are a little high, but for me, they are correct.)

I think it would withstand live playing easily. The strap buttons are solid, and the finish seems like it can handle some rough treatment without wearing off (I wouldn't test it, though). The hardware would also withstand it I guess, except for that volume knob. Wouldn't want to miss out on a second or to because I accidentally touched it :( It doesn't detune much, and stays tuned for a long, long time, except for the G-string. But in my experience that is more of an overall thing with all guitars I've tried.

It was well set up from factory, no need to change the action, and the neck is straight as an arrow. The pickups were set up okay, I guess, but they are powered by 2xAA batteries, which I find very weird. As far as I have found, no flaws at all, except for the somewhat loose volume knob. Everything looks really good, I must stress this fact.

The RGA7 comes in an awesome black colour with white around the edges. The body is made of mahogany, which gives a warm tone with good sustain. The top is slightly curved, and I personally think it looks really good. The back is also curved, and it feels good against my belly :) The neck is bolted on, and has 24 frets that are easy to reach because of the cutaways, but my fat fingers don't play the highest ones pretty well, the tone gets a bit muddy, but that is my fault. :) I really like the neck on the RGA7, the Wizard II, as it is really thin and feels comfortable. I'm used to the Les Paul-type neck, but the RGA7 neck is really nice as well. I don't use whammy bars on guitars much, so I like that the bridge is fixed. If a string snaps, you don't need to go through the whole complicated operation of changing it that people with Floyd Rose guitars have to. The stock pickups are Ibanez' active LZ7, both neck and bridge, which is getting a lot of negative comments all over the Internet. I don't think all of the crap that are said is justified, as they sound OK, but I will definitely change them sometime. I'm not too thrilled about the electronics either, it has that weird Active EQ-button, which doesn't really do much, a volume knob, and a 3-way-pickup switch. The Switch is great, but the volume knob seems a bit loose. When I play hard I sometimes bump my hand on it, and the sound actually disappears for a second. This is probably just some bad wiring, and I will fix it sometime, but it shouldn't be like this. The strings that came with the guitar are far to thin for my taste, will change to .11 or something. And I got a cable with the guitar, but it looked cheap, so I just put it in a drawer as an emergency cable.