RGA7-BK review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA7-BK

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

The pickups are decent, you can get a decent tone out of it, but it is muddy period, even with a TS. I've played it through a tsl and a dual rec both boosted. For lead playing it lacks gain on the high strings, for chuggy riffs it sounds muddy as crap, for chords it sounds awesome, defined yet very deep, and for lower gain, more classic rock/metal stuff it doesn't sound half bad.

If I keep this guitar (complicated situation) I'll probably Switch the pickup's for some SD Blackout's, maybe change the Bridge to something of higher quality (there is nothing wrong with the Bridge though), get locking tuner's (convenience mostly, and the extra tuning stability), strap locks, and redo some of the wiring and get rid of the stupid scoop switch. I absolutely love the neck and the fact that there isn't a tone knob on the thing, I have never used my tone knob to achieve a desirable tone. If it ever did get stolen I would probably go up to the RGD 7 string cause of the satin finish and no scoop switch. Overall I'd give the guitar a 7.5/10. If it had everything I mentioned above on it, it would definitely be a 9-9.5.

Seems like a solid guitar I'd have no trouble taking it on the road with me, the strap locks are pretty big but I would definitely put some Schaller strap locks on anyways. The finish is surprisingly resistant to fingerprints and smudges, they still show but not as easy as some guitars. It's got a little bit of weight to it.

Don't like the gloss finish, satin would be perfect. Nothing was wrong with guitar when I got it, stays in tune, nice action and everything. Nothing to complain about besides that I don't like the finish.

Ibanez bridge, pickups, Standard tuner's of sorts, nice smooth maple neck with rosewood fretboard, scoop switch, one volume, three way pickup selecter (neck, neck+bridge, and bridge), bolt on Ibanez neck etc. For what you get for this thing it's definitely worth the money. I'm in love with the neck, it plays like a dream, the Bridge is extremely comfortable (could be a little rounder on the edges, digs into my hand sometimes). The scoop Switch is stupid, I swear if anyone ever tries to get me to scoop my mids again I'll slap them across the face.

beforethethrone
    I just got this guitar and it's honestly a lot better than people make it out to be. Just switch out the pickups and you have a GORGEOUS sounding and looking guitar. I run mine through an ENGL Fireball 100 and it sounds so good!
    JB95
    "My only regret is that I don't live in the U.S. when I bought it. Half the price over there :-P" Ragret? Don't you mean "it's a shame..."? lol emoticons in review