RGA8 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA8

Price paid: € 745

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I use this guitar exclusively for djent. I play a lot of Meshuggah on it along with my own material. As explained earlier, the EQ boost switch plays nicely into this, as it makes post-processing a heck of a lot easier by pre-rendering the sound into a sonic signature as seen on the diagram on Ibanez's site. The first thing I did with the guitar when I got it was to change strings. The 0.72/0.9 set of D'Addario strings that was on it was a nice token, but ultimately too slack for the 27" scale. I replaced them with a 0.75 Bass string and a pack of D'Addario EXL 120-7 (0.9/0.54) and re-tuned it to F tuning. I did have to peel the tip of the 0.75 string to fit it into the tuner, but that is not really an issue. I also replaced the batteries in it (as you would of course) with a fresh set. That tightened up the sound and response nicely. I have not yet replaced the pickups in it and am seriously questioning why one even would do such a thing. For regular practice, I run the guitar directly into a small Roland Cube. Now, hold your horses all you eager ones, I know you can't hear the guitar's full potential on one of those, I only use it for practice by myself without giving myself lasting hearing damage. For recording I run the guitar through a Line 6 HD500 pod, a mixing unit and into the computer. By doing this you can pretty much sculpt any kind of sound you want really, so arguing about that is kind of subjective and pointless. The stock pickups do their job well and have so far helped in making a sound that suits me quite well. I also sometimes play the guitar through a Laney LH50R 50W tube head & Laney GS412P 4x12 cab along with the HD500 pod into the effects loop. Again, the sound the guitar makes with stock pickups is remarkably good and as I said before, I honestly can't see why one would want to change the pickups at all. In comparison with a friend's guitar that uses Bareknuckle Warpig's, I honestly can't tell the difference, after a bit of tweaking on the pod. The sound is a very nice and beefy djent sound. The bass is boosted around the 20-500 Hz range, with a mid dip at 900-1k Hz and then a boost of high-mids and highs from 1k to 20k Hz. That gives it a powerful, almost scooped sound, but doesn't get lost in the overall mix. The pickups are quite responsive and feel very natural to me and my style of playing. I suppose if you were that kind of player and demanded more out of it, you can always turn the EQ boost off, which levels the EQ into a "dead" flat signature. But honestly, why would you do that on an 8 string guitar? Of course you would be disappointed by it, but hey, it's not intended for that. Also using the pod, I like to make all sorts of non-traditional effects with it and so far it has not failed to perform. That in my opinion adds to it's versatility within it's field of specialization. So on that note, I give it a 8. There is room for improvement if you demand more, but if you are adept at sound sculpting and processing tools, it does the job very nicely indeed.

And we reach the final and overall impression. The guitar is a perfect match for my style of playing. I was debating long and hard about which guitar to buy. An important factor for me was the 27" scale (25.5" is just NOT long enough for this tuning scope). I find it crucially important with 8 string guitars. After a thorough evaluation of the competition, I concluded that this guitar has all the features that a good Djent guitar needs in it's price range. I have compared it to it's bigger sister the 2228 and I have to say, I much prefer the RGA8. Mostly because of the arched top which is just more comfortable to me. I have owned it for just shy of a year now and played it practically every single day. I plan to use it on many a recording still to come just because it feels so comfortable and makes a very satisfying sound with the effort I put into it. That said, you can not expect it to work magic on it's own. You have to think of it as a tool in the line of other tools, which make a satisfying end result. In that respect, it is an ideal instrument for me. My favorite feature on it is definitely the EQ boost switch. It gives the illusive and mysterious "djent" sound many are after and helps greatly with post-processing. I also absolutely love the headstock. The shape and logo just mean business. It is also super comfortable. The neck is a work of art. Having played 4 and 5 string basses and 6 strings before, with no 7 string before the 8, the guitar immediately felt comfortable and natural. There was no real trouble with the extra 2 strings. The only issue I had for a brief time was becoming lost in the string work. But after a while, it becomes as natural as a 6. That said, you do need quite big hands for it. People with smaller hands might find it a "handful". The only thing I would change on it is to take away the neck pickup. Since one only plays the bridge pickup in djent, the neck pickup is absolutely useless; at least to me. I'm sure there are many of you out there who expect it to sound as warm as a Les Paul, but honestly, play a Les Paul for that! If it were stolen, I would probably hunt the thief down and strangle them with the 0.75 string. For overall impression and personal satisfaction of expectations, I give it a solid 10. On that note, I open the stage for the hate storm in the comments below.

Will this guitar withstand live playing? Well, I honestly don't know, since I do not plan on playing live. But I do play it at least 4-5 hours every day if I manage to. I can only take an educated guess and say it probably could, judging by the build quality. For my home & recording use it's holding up without flaw. The hardware is very solid and gives the impression that it will last a very long time. A small factor might be my obsessive gear maintenance, but even with a sloppy and careless owner, it would stoically take the abuse for sure. The strap buttons are inserted quite deep and have a wide surface area at the head, so you would have to be pretty clumsy to drop it. But for the coordination challenged among you, there are always strap locks. The finish on the guitar seems quite durable by Ibanez's standards. I did have some accidental collisions with my furniture, but they did not leave a single mark on the guitar. Because I can not tell you how it would hold up live, I will leave that to someone who has played it live. But for home use, I'd give the RGA8 a 10.

The action came pretty much perfect out of the box. I did not have to adjust a single thing. The intonation was bang on, there was no warping or torquing in the neck. The fret bars are all set perfectly and evenly with no string buzz along the frets (except for the 8th string, but that is to be expected). As I mentioned before, it did not have a single flaw on it. No damage, no scrapes. The pickups are very well fitted, no wobble or play in them. The revised bridge is reinforced with an additional screw that makes it all the more solid. The lockers and tuners are all very well made and keep the guitar in rock solid tuning. The only gripe I could think of is that the screws on the neck lockers started to loose their paint shine, but that's nitpicking really. A solid 10 for a build quality in it's price range.

I am surprised this guitar has not yet been reviewed, so I will try my best to give this guitar a review it deserves. I bought it in 2011 from Thomann.de for 745 + 25 shipping. The guitar is built in 2011 in Indonesia (which you can easily tell by the serial number on the back of the headstock). The guitar came with an Ibanez gig bag, set of alan wrenches, strap and a set of D'Addario 0.72-0.9 strings tuned to standard F# tuning. The guitar itself was in an immaculate condition, not a single dent or scratch on it. The paint was done nice and even with a decent clear coat to top it all off. It feels very well put together for an instrument of its price range. The wiring is done very neatly and clean with no worn or I'll fitted cables or solder spots. The specs of the guitar are: - 5 piece Maple/Walnut bolt-on Wizard II-8 neck with a rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, pearl inlays - mahogany body in solid black paint - fixed Edge III-8 bridge, locking nut and string-tree, - single volume knob - 3 way switch - EQ boost switch - 2x 1.5V battery pot - Ibanez LZ8-N & LZ8-B pickups For more detail on the specs you can visit Ibanez's site. It is very important to state at this point that this guitar is a one trick pony. It is a very specialized instrument. It was developed for one thing and one thing only. DJENT. If you expect it to do everything, you will be disappointed with it. The EQ diagram of the EQ boost switch makes it abundantly clear. Many reviews give the guitar poor marks because of the electronics and consequent sound it produces, which I think is horribly unjust. The Ibanez site says the pickups are active, but that is something I would contest. I have never seen active pickups that use 1.5V AA batteries. The norm is a 9V battery. 1.5V per pickup is just not enough. Also, if you open up the back plate and take a look at the electronics you quickly notice that the battery wire goes directly into the EQ chip set, instead of the pickups. Which makes the pickups passive. Something that is underpinned by the fact that they sound very neutral when the switch is in the OFF position. This is quite a nice feature, but one I will get to in the field below. The guitar is a second generation model. Ibanez fixed all the issues of the previous model. If held side by side, there are quite dramatic feature changes between the two guitars. One new feature are the quite deep contour cuts on the cutaway horns. The body arching is more pronounced and the controls are positioned more ergonomically. Also the bridge is fixed with an additional screw to add stability. But for now, I'd give it a 7 for features because it is a one trick pony. Not a versatile guitar, but if you use it for what it was intended for, you will be hard pressed to find fault with it.

reversegenesis
    Tosin Abasi would beg to differ.
    Lord_Doku
    I think this guitar has more potential than just djent. Any flubbo-caster can do that, provided the strings go low enough. Also, I think this sir is trolling a wee bit.
    nailsarecruel
    EpiExplorer
    So would Ihsahn.
    gman128
    sewoo55 wrote: Wow.... the reviewer is retarded
    The description in the box at the top led me to the same conclusion
    emil_sej
    I'm pretty sure both Ihsahn and Tosin use LA Custom Shop RGA8's.
    boosted928
    Ibeanez
    Sure glad I don't pay attention to fads. That way, when I look at a musical instrument all I ask myself are questions like: "Is this what I need to make the music I want to make? Do I like it? Do I want it? Do I need it?"
    its_minchew
    Ummmm I've played this a couple of times and it can do a HELL of a lot more than djent. I don't even play djent, and honestly can't see why it's so big, but i'm not posting to knock a genre. The possibilty the two extra strings provide even on clean lines is great. I owned a C-7 Hellraiser for a couple years so adjusting to the 8th string wasn't a big deal for me. Didn't really like using the 8th string for metal riffs but that's just me. i think you need to realize the versatility of it.
    CatAmplifier
    nailsarecruel wrote: emil_sej wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: reversegenesis wrote: OneTimeReview wrote: It is very important to state at this point that this guitar is a one trick pony. It is a very specialized instrument. It was developed for one thing and one thing only. DJENT. If you expect it to do everything, you will be disappointed with it. Tosin Abasi would beg to differ. So would Ihsahn. I'm pretty sure both Ihsahn and Tosin use LA Custom Shop RGA8's. I'm pretty sure the only thing that limits an extended range instrument (stock or custom) is the player.
    Tosin uses RG2228 or rg2228, they are both prestige... too far from RGA8
    DoubleBassCrash
    A. I never condemned DJENT & I never advocated anything about Virtuoso playing. I told you theres more to an 8 string guitar than choked up palm muted notes and that this guitar could play anything from blues, to jazz, or metal. B. I never mention Mr. Abasi. C. I'm showing YOU how YOU can expand YOUR MINDSET by providing YOU with all of the details YOU overlooked that YOUR 8 string guitar provides. & for someone that has had this guitar for just shy of a year, youd surely believe you would have had these epiphanies by now. D. Im a Meshuggah fan, too. Thordendal inspires me, too! & Guess what he listens to?! Wayne Krantz, Massive Attack, & Cult of Luna to name a few. Plus with you being the big Meshuggah fan, you should obviously be able to hear the Jazz influence in his solos, right? His Dad always listened to Jazz, thats probably where that influence comes from. So sorry you took me as a snob, my sole purpose for that post was to enlighten you on all the wonderful things youre missing out on with an 8 string guitar. Your guitar is not a one trick pony, but your mindset is, and thats what makes the instrument lack versatility. [quote]boosted928 wrote: OneTimeReview wrote: DoubleBassCrash wrote: OneTimeReview wrote: It is very important to state at this point that this guitar is a one trick pony. It is a very specialized instrument. It was developed for one thing and one thing only. DJENT. If you expect it to do everything, you will be disappointed with it. Sorry, sunshine! You're the one trick pony, not the guitar. Even with all of those strings you have failed to realize the potential of an instrument like this. You have failed to consider all of the alternate tunings that are available to you now, you have also failed to see all of the possibilities those two strings add, and you have yet to understand the increased dynamics you receive by utilizing a string setup that this guitar provides to you. You can play blues, jazz, metal, truly whatever the hell you want on this guitar. You are only limited by your own experience, theres more to an 8 string guitar than choked up palm muted notes. To the people considering a guitar like this that haven't taken a dive at 8 string, take an Allan Holdsworth approach to the instrument, then youll see how much potential those two extra strings provide to you. You know what's ironic about your statement there? You condemn djent and advocate virtuoso playing, advocating that basically everyone HAS to be up to a Tosin level of playing, otherwise they are not allowed to even own one. I did say you can get more out of the instrument if you wanted and put the work into it, but out of the box, this guitar is very obviously intended to please a growing djent fan base. I recognize Tosin's and everyone else's playing ability, but im not a fan of it, i don't want to play that. Im a Meshuggah fan and i like to play the way Thordendal plays and approaches the instrument. You don't have to be such a snob. He really wasn't being a snob. He was being honest and he's right. He never said that everyone had to play like Tosin, he's just saying that extended range guitars are much more useful than just for play
    btbam11
    With a vocabulary such as that, he is far from retarded. Come on people, save the bullshit and let him think what he wants and play what he wants. He likes djent. Maybe all that could be lacking in this case is experience or a roundness to his writing. He seems perfectly happy about it now, but perhaps when his writing does become a bit more rounded, he will be ready for an Agile :] So please shut up. Unless you have something to say to me, go for it.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    This is probably like a kid who has no intelligence of theory. There are two extra string big deal you can go outside the norm play whatever the hell you want on it.
    OneTimeReview
    Well of course I recognize the jazz elements, but I see it all from a different perspective. The reason I like the original form of djent, which is Meshuggah's form is because I love meditating on the low notes and minimalism in playing (does that make sense?), but i do expand it into different aspects of songwriting which are not necessarily 11 finger taping or the like. I also seriously do not think djent is a fad. The adaptation of djent into metalcore is a horrible fad and i personally don't accept the other bands that claim to play djent...but we're drifting off topic right now. Like i said, i am of the opinion that this particular guitar is very specialized in it's intent. Other 8 string's with different configurations are of course suitable for many other styles, but then again, i did review this one for the style i use it for.
    DoubleBassCrash
    my post was too long, it got clipped:
    Thank you, boosted928! Thank you very much!!
    boosted928
    DoubleBassCrash wrote: my post was too long, it got clipped: boosted928 wrote: OneTimeReview wrote: DoubleBassCrash wrote: OneTimeReview wrote: It is very important to state at this point that this guitar is a one trick pony. It is a very specialized instrument. It was developed for one thing and one thing only. DJENT. If you expect it to do everything, you will be disappointed with it. Sorry, sunshine! You're the one trick pony, not the guitar. Even with all of those strings you have failed to realize the potential of an instrument like this. You have failed to consider all of the alternate tunings that are available to you now, you have also failed to see all of the possibilities those two strings add, and you have yet to understand the increased dynamics you receive by utilizing a string setup that this guitar provides to you. You can play blues, jazz, metal, truly whatever the hell you want on this guitar. You are only limited by your own experience, theres more to an 8 string guitar than choked up palm muted notes. To the people considering a guitar like this that haven't taken a dive at 8 string, take an Allan Holdsworth approach to the instrument, then youll see how much potential those two extra strings provide to you. You know what's ironic about your statement there? You condemn djent and advocate virtuoso playing, advocating that basically everyone HAS to be up to a Tosin level of playing, otherwise they are not allowed to even own one. I did say you can get more out of the instrument if you wanted and put the work into it, but out of the box, this guitar is very obviously intended to please a growing djent fan base. I recognize Tosin's and everyone else's playing ability, but im not a fan of it, i don't want to play that. Im a Meshuggah fan and i like to play the way Thordendal plays and approaches the instrument. You don't have to be such a snob. He really wasn't being a snob. He was being honest and he's right. He never said that everyone had to play like Tosin, he's just saying that extended range guitars are much more useful than just for playing djent. You can play and approach instruments however you want, but still saying out of the box it's meant for one thing and one group of people, that's being pretty narrow minded in my opinion. Thank you, boosted928! Thank you very much!!
    Anytime. I completely understood, saw, and agreed with where you were coming from and going with your comment so I had to back it up.
    EpiExplorer
    Yes, but by the sound of it, you'd be better off listening to boring tripe like The Acacia strain and ****in' Emmure.
    OneTimeReview
    gman128 wrote: sewoo55 wrote: Wow.... the reviewer is retarded The description in the box at the top led me to the same conclusion
    I doubt you read the review then. I do say that if you want more out of it, you can get it with some extra effort put into sculpting the sound you want. But out of the box, it is what it is and it works best for that.