RGA8 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGA8

Purchased from: Some guy

I play metal so the extra two strings come in handy. I'm not into down tuning a 6 string past a whole step. If you want to tune to B just get a 7 string like logic would dictate. I play through a Roland Cube with various pedals. The pick ups sound alright - I hate Ibanez pick ups. I put Bare Knuckle Aftermaths in my 7 string Ibanez and they sound awesome. I would do the same here but the cavity is cut for an EMG style pick up. With that being the case I am probably going to put some EMG 808's in this guitar. The guy had it tuned to some strange drop tuning like EAEADBGe but I changed it to EADGCFAd. That's basically a standard guitar tuned a whole step down plus the two added low strings tuned a whole step down. Typical 8 strings are tuned to F#BEADGBe. There's a good variety of sounds you can get from this guitar with the stock pick ups. Guys who just play thrashy riffs would probably only use the bridge pick up with the EQ scoop turned on. For clean and warm stuff you can get a nice tone from the bridge with the scoop on or off. The EQ switch is a strange addition to this guitar. I could live without it. I imagine most people just forget it's there.

8 strings are an emerging trend. It's not exclusive to metal by any extent of the imagination. I like this guitar and would recommend it without hesitation to anyone interested in buying an 8 string guitar. Check it out!

This guitar is solid like most Ibanez guitars. Everything is well built except for that one bridge screw that can tear out. It is fixable but I would expect more from an Ibanez.

It was set up good but it was second hand. You can tell that the screw at the back of the bridge had come out and the guy had re-attached it. This is a common problem with this guitar if you search the web. I had an ESP H-408 or whatever when they first came out and the scale was shorter than this guitar at 25.5 inches. It constantly went out of tune on the lowest string. Having the extra inches on the scale of this Ibanez corrects the problem the ESP had. The width of the neck is comparable to a 6 string bass. I like it.

I got the RGA8 second hand from a classified ad. It's a 2011 model and made in Indonesia. I paid $400 used. It retails for about $800 new depending where you are. It's got 8 strings (as opposed to traditional 6), 24 frets, mahogany body, arch top(that means rounded instead of flat), stock Ibanez active pick ups, 27 inch scale, black paint, double locking fixed bridge, one volume knob, three way selector switch, and an EQ switch. It came with a bashed up case that the guy didn't want anymore. I was pretty stoked to get this guitar and sole my 6 string B.C. Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe for it.

im_atheist
    I love my RGA8 except I had a tech replace the pathetic stock pickups with some DiMarzio PAF8s, had all the wiring redone and had the EQ switch replaced with a push/pull tone pot so I can split the coils in the PAFs. This guitar is insanely versatile I just wish it came in other colours then black
    OneTimeReview
    EpiExplorer wrote: I love meditating on the low notes and minimalism in playing (does that make sense?) Yes, but by the sound of it, you'd be better off listening to boring tripe like The Acacia strain and ****in' Emmure.
    It's not my problem you have ADD