RGD2127Z review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGD2127Z

My style of music is Djent/Progressive/Metalcore/Thrash. Think Periphery, The Human Abstract, Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah, Protest The Hero, Between The Buried And Me. If you came here thinking I play just classic rock and blues you might want to stop reading. This is a guitar for serious metal musicians. I run the guitar through a Peavey 3120 all tube head into a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab. Using an EQ in the FX loop and an Ibanez Tubescreamer to Drive the tubes harder. In a band setting, the guitar is pretty much perfect; the tone out of the Ibanez pickups are great. Mind you I have guitars that come equipped with DiMarzios/Bareknuckles/Duncans/GFS etc etc and the tone out of these STOCK Ibanez pickups are phenomenal. I have yet to find a need to replace these pickups with something else. A Lundgren M7 in the bridge is the only option I am thinking about for the future with this axe. The V87 and V77 custom pickups have nice rich sounds, comparable to a Tone Zone/Air Norton combination. The bridge pickup is Alnico and the Neck is Ceramic. A Djenty tone is no problem with this axe. No noise, the sound is what you expect out of a Basswood body guitar, no surprises here. The Edge Zero tremolo on this axe is outstanding. It came with the Zero-Point System which basically makes the tremolo more rigid and helps keep it more stable so double-stop bends are a little more in tune and you have more sustain. You can however remove the system easily from the back and put the bridge into full-floating mode, which I have done recently to get the radical flutters you expect from an OFR or Edge Pro. I compared the bridge to an OFR and there's very little difference. The OFR is a little more easy to mess with but that's probably because I compared it to a 6-string OFR and this is a 7-string so there's more tension. Overall flutters are a breeze and sound sick. Never had ANY tuning issues with the guitar while abusing the tremolo bar. Extra scale length on the guitar isn't for most people. The neck is longer; this means when you are going from a 25.5" guitar to this guitar it's going to feel DIFFERENT. It takes getting used to, and I am very used to playing this guitar, I go from this guitar to my smaller scale 6-strings and after a while you just get used to it. Shredding is actually a lot easier on this guitar due to the scale length being longer. The upper frets are huge compared to my regular RG (which has extra jumbo frets) Extra cut-away makes playing on the higher frets EFFORTLESS!

Perfect match for my style of Djent/Progressive/Metalcore/Thrash. Been playing for 5 years, own tons of gear, not going to waste time listing my entire inventory though. If you are curious then check my profile. If it were stolen/lost I would save for another, plain and simple. I have yet to try a better 7-string when it comes to feel, playability, sound and appearance. Love everything about it and hate nothing. Favorite feature is the prestige HP neck and the way it feels. I compared this axe to an EBMM JPXI 7-string. the only contender worthy for this axe (IN MY OPINION) This guitar is miles ahead of the JPXI, and a lot cheaper. The Prestige HP Wizard neck is second to none. Nothing more I would want out of this guitar. Doesn't need a tone knobs, this axe is pure tone. If you are looking to buy this guitar I highly recommend buying it new, and when I say this I do not mean go to your local music store and pick one up that has already been messed with. BUY IT NEW! you won't have any problems. I ordered mine straight from the Ibanez factory through Guitar Center.

Played a lot of gigs with this axe, dropped it twice unfortunately. So there are a couple dings already, but the guitar works, sounds great, that's all I care about. Just be careful with this axe, it will dent very easily and the paint will chip easily as well. Hardware CAN be an issue due to the pickup selector switch, which is why this gets a 9 instead of a 10. Strap buttons are extra large, meaning you don't need a strap lock AT ALL for it, I have yet to have the strap button fail on me. Wouldn't need a backup with this guitar. Especially with the ZPS-3 system if you break a string you will remain in tune no problem. The finish won't wear off over time but there will be smudges. I already notice some smudges near the strings where my hand always is..but this is normal with all guitars that don't have pick-guards so it doesn't bother me.

Set-up PERFECTLY. Everything on the guitar was pristine and perfect, action, truss rod everything... I cannot put in words to describe the first time playing this guitar. It felt right in your hands and the feel of the HP prestige neck is just amazing. Beveled body helps with comfort as well. Amazing access to higher frets. Pickups are fine. The only flaw with the guitar and the only reason why this guitar did not get a 10 is the pickup selector switch. It's not too noticeable on a distorted setting, but when I play clean (and I play clean a lot) the middle position was cutting into the humbuckers and not splitting correctly. Thankfully I had manufacturer's warranty to replace the switch, so make sure you have a warranty because it's most likely a cheap switch they used. Other than that, zero flaws with me.

Introduced in 2010. Made in Japan. - Basswood body - 5-piece maple/wenge Wizard Prestige neck - 26-1/2" scale - Full-step down factory tuning: A-D-G-C-F-A-D (7th to 1st strings) - Jumbo frets - Rosewood fingerboard - Pearl dot inlays - Edge Zero 7 Tremolo with ZPS3 (Zero-Point System 3) - V77 Custom neck pickup by Ibanez (passive) - V87 Custom bridge pickup by Ibanez (passive) - Gotoh Tuners non-locking - Full Matte Black Finish (Invisible Shadow) - KTS Tone Resonant Dual Titanium Rods inside neck Included Ibanez Prestige Hardcase that contained an Ibanez Prestige multi-tool kit, instruction manual, tremolo bar, and extra springs.

engineno9
    blackbird51
    engineno9 wrote: This guitar is awesome. My only complaint is the edge zero bridge. You can't add extra springs for more tension so I had to block it, though I'm going to try heavy duty replacements and see if it helps. Oh and also to get properly intonated on my 7th string I had to put the saddle all the way back. It works but there's no room for play and Im only tuned drop-G. Otherwise great guitar, neck is awesome, sounds great though I've got BKP in mine.
    I know exactly what you mean, my saddle on my 7th string is waaay back, it might be an action issue..as for the springs, mine came with a power gauge that should be more than enough for tunings down to F standard..
    blackbird51
    grungelive72 wrote: the 6 string RGD's kick ass too. I prefer the RGA's over these though
    The RGA prestige is nice, but why the ridiculous price tag?? I don't understand...it's like a grand more and the features aren't that different when you compare the 2.