RGD7421 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGD7421

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Out of the box the one thing that struck me first was the neck. Compared to the many ESP's I own, the Ibanez neck is very thin. Thin in a good way. Now I own a ESP MHB-401 which is a 27 scale Baritone factory tuned to B, with a 10-58 gauge strings with EMG's. That guitar to me, feels perfect in the tension area for the B tuning. The Ibanez out of the box felt too floppy and almost unplayable with the string set it had on it. Not too mention I wasn't thrilled with the stock Ibanez pickups. Too muddy and undefined. Generally when I buy new guitars if they don't have EMG's in them, I swap em out. For the Ibanez guitar I wanted to try something different, so I decided to try a Duncan Blackout, with a string gauge change to try and correct the loose tension. I installed the Blackout, and went with a D'Addario 11-49 with a 62 for the low A string. The guitar now sounds 100X better. Tension is great for fast chugging and alternate picking. Chords are way clearer. The Duncans blow the stock pickups out of the water, they compliment the guitar well, but at first listen are very similar to EMG's. I'll have to put some time in with the Duncans to see if I can really hear the difference.

Overall I think this is a great 7 string for the price of $599. I have been playing guitar for 15 years, own about 20 guitars, mostly play metal blah blah blah. I have had experience with seven strings before. This guitar is my first Ibanez, as I am mostly a ESP player. I love the thin neck and extended scale. I do advise changing the pickups, and string gauges. I don't know if I am just a hard picker, but out of the box chords and fast picking sound sloppy because of the tension issue. I mainly will use this guitar to jam on Fear Factory tracks. As I stated earlier, I had great success with the 62 gauge string upgrade. Hope this was helpful.

Seems reliable.

See Above.

The Ibanez RGD7421 specs, basswood body, 5pc/Maple/Walnut Wizard II neck at 26.5 scale, with a fixed Gibraltar Standard 7 Bridge. Ibanez pickups. One volume and 3 way selector. Comes factory tuned one step down (ADGCFAD), strung from the factory with D'Addario Reg Light 7string set (10-59).

RockOnIt
    i love Ibanez guitars but can't they stick to naming guitars with less numbers and letters -.- ahah, soon we'll have the DFH546387 ahaha
    The Knife
    i use .11 - .68 for drop A on my Agile Septor Elite 727. it has a 27" scale soo its even tighter. It is just soo beautiful
    i use .13 - .72 on my baritone 7 string custom
    Neither of you must do a lot of string bending.
    staceap
    I use a 66 for Drop A on my seven-string Schecter Omen, which I still think is slightly too loose, but interesting to see how people's tension likings compare. I wish you could get the RGD's exact body shape in a 25.5" scale, such a sexy guitar, haha
    blackbird51
    string tension is all personal preference, as are the sound out of the pickups..although I do agree that the stock pickups are sub-par, unless you have the prestige.
    Andragon
    I have the 7321. Agreed. New pickups for sure. Although the stock ones could be worse.
    BURNTHEPRIEST94
    k3v1n shr3dz
    how the f#ck do you guys play lead on 11s or 13s, much less on a 27"? I'm using 9s in standard on a 25.5" and I can't even imagine using 11s.
    Air_Stryker
    I have an RGD320, with 26.5" scale. Loaded with 11's and put in C-tuning I think it works great. The extended scale is just something you get used to. That and the RGD320 was my first guitar, I got used to the scale very quickly.
    FullyHollow
    Interesting. If you are fan of guitars, guitarists and nothing but the world of guitars (lifestyle, gear, artist interviews, etc.) check out www.GuitarshopTV.com. They have amazing content.