RGD7421 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGD7421

Ugh. These Ibanez pickups. This is my first Ibanez guitar, and have heard the stories of their pickups, but thought, like most, that the stories were just over-exaggerated. Nope. The Ibby pickups are dull and lifeless, especially the bridge (the neck clean sound isn't soooo bad). They make me quite aggravated. I made a setting on my amp to kinda compensate with the poop-quality pickups, but until I get my hands on D-Activator bridge and Liquifire neck pickups, I gotta deal with them.

I plehs metlulz. Really, this is my first 7 string, and I love it (aside from the pickups). The 26.5" threw me off a little at first, but I adapt quickly, and love the clarity of low notes I get. Looking forward to tuning down low and see what I can do.

I have not had a lot of use, but it seems very solid and durable. I'd totally gig with it. The buttons seems a little small, but that doesn't matter to me; my DiMarzio strap just came in today.

I really only had to lower the G string, it was... a little higher than the others. It was easily dealt with. Really rather solid in construction.

Made in 2012 in Indonesia, this monster sports a 24 fret neck with a 26.5" Baritone (or semi-Baritone) scale. As per the Ibanez norm, the neck is very thin. Made of basswood with a 5 piece maple/walnut neck and a Rosewood fretboard, sporting the Gibraltar bridge (which I like) and passive Ibanez pickups. Standard, run of the mill tuners. Included was a patch cable (which I dislike, the cable is very thin and is hard to take out of jacks) and allen wrenches.

grungelive72
    I absolutely hated the stock pickups in this. The guitar feels great, but it'll need some great pups to sound great. Having said that, I absolutely love the fact that its 26.5" scale. I can't do 27" cause of my small hands :/
    Air_Stryker
    Weird that this guitar ends up on the front page right now. I was planning on buying it tomorrow anyway, but these reviews have sort of sealed the deal for me. Played it a few times in my shop already and I love it to bits, can't wait to have it, it'll be my first seven string.
    ClaesCornelius
    Different pick-ups? I guess that they're few and far between. Tuning: I'd experiment with open tunings.
    scotty688
    I play my electrics acoustically 95% of the time, so this guitar should be a solid 9/10 when I buy it Ibanez have the right idea with the pickups they use. Considering everyone has different tastes in their tone they'd want different pickups, so may as well put a cheap set in there to lower the guitar price.