RGR321EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGR321EX

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: thomann.de

I play alot of metal and melodic hardcore, for example Thrice, Fightstar, bring me the Horizon, Funeral For A Friend, etc. and also play some blues and this guitar suits all styles I play. When I got it, I thought the EMG designed pu's were going to be crappy but were actually really nice considering the price of the guitar. I use a Fender Frontman FM 212 R amplifier with reverb and distortion but I have recently bought an MXR Distortion III and a DigiTech Metal Master pedals. The guitar sounds bright on the bridge pickup through the distortion, creating a great lead sound and super crunch for metal riffs and what not. The neck pickup is alot bassier then the neck pickup, giving a good deep rhythm tone, although I prefer to use the bridge pickup when in distortion. In clean, the guitar sounds beautiful with chorus put through it, especially on the neck pickup for a fantastic clean rhythm sound. The bridge pickup is much better for blues. The pickups give off almost no sound.

This guitar looks badass for the style I'm playing. I have been playing for three years now and this is my second guitar with a 3rd on the way. I would most certainly buy another one of these if it was lost or stolen and wouldn't buy anything else. The finish and reverse headstock are so god damn sexy and that is a big plus. I compared it with an Ibanez RG321MH and picked this one as it was better looking and supposably better to play than the RG321MH. It would be kick-ass though if it had a Floyd Rose, then it would be a complete, total and utter god upon man! I'm not going to give it nine for that though as it is still a Savage guitar without the Floyd Rose. Awesome guitar overall.

This guitar can definately withstand Live playing, I have played a couple of very energetic gigs with my band so far and I have had no problems with this guitar so far and didn't had to resort to my back up. The hardware seems it'll last years and the strap buttons are better than any strap locks. I did bump the guitar off numerous walls and amps and things, resulting in the finish scratching slightly which left me depressed for days to look at!

The factory set-up wasn't all that great. The strings were a bit too high for my liking and the pickups were lobsided, but these problems were fixed within a couple of minutes with the allen wrenches provided and apart from these problems, everything else was perfect. The finish does smudge very easily though which is noticable and doesn't look all that great.

This pinacle of Ibanez was made in Indonesia, don't know what particular year though. The guitar was fitted with d'addario nickle wound 10's which are very nice. It has a wizard II maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and has 24 jumbo frets. Neck is lovely and thin so its good for fast soloing. Scale lentgh is 648mm/25.5". Its body is basswood with a fixed bridge and 5-way pickup Switch. It has 1 volume and 1 tone pot. Its fitted with 2 EMG designed pu's and has a gorgeous piano black finish. Machine heads are unnamed and are not great but they get the job done. My favourite feature of this guitar is the reverse headstock which is just pure metal and also comes with a gig bag, strap, cable and allen wrenches.

ichakanabin
    This guitar is amazing. I think it's one of the best in its price point. I replaced the stock Infinity pickups with a Rockfield Fat Ass in the bridge and a Rockfield Mafia in the neck. Check out my 4-part review on these pups.. www.youtube.com/user/ichakanabin
    lingyding2
    should i get this or the RG370DX? i can get this for 150 in mint condition, or the RG370DX new for 293 ??
    farenms
    As far as I'm concerned, so far there are 3 revisions of this guitar. The first one had the EMG designed pickups and normal fixed bridge. The second one had normal Ibanez INF pickups (with pickup covers), with normal fixed bridge. The third one, which is the latest revision had Ibanez INF pickups with Gibraltar fixed bridge. I'm lucky to have the first version, the pickup just screams more!