RGR321EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGR321EX

Purchased from: guitar.co.uk

I play mainly metal and alternative sytles of music which is what this guitar was most likely designed for. I'm playing directly through my Peavey Bandit 112. The Clean sound this produces is nice and thick and isnt distorted. Very decent for deep riffs and strumming chords which makes it great for todays music. The deep tone produced by the neck in particlur is pretty nice for blues and jazz but the Bridge is also pretty deep as well so it doesnt't produce great tones for country but the Bridge is very good for chords. Aswell as Bridge and neck postions you can go inbetween them or use both pickups which a great feature allowing you to explore more tones which sound great althrough they still mainly sound dark but in all honestly I love the thick sound it produces. Moving on to the distorted side of things is where this guitar shines. It makes an impressive saturated tight tone making it great for alot mordern metal styles including bands like Rammstein, Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Bring Me The Horizon, Job For A Cowboy and My Dying Bride etc. This is all only on the Bridge postion tho as changing pick up configuration destroys the sound and clarity of the guitar. For a deep fuzzy kyuss/electric wizard sound turning the tone pot to zero makes a great subsitute for swutching pick ups. Althrough this guitar has a good tight rhythm sound soloing on this is not as impressive but decent enough to play on as the notes lack clarity and cleaness. Overall excellent mordern/nu metal sound and a nice dark clean tone making it personnaly a perfect match for me. But I give an 8 due to the lack of versetitlaty but that doesnt't bother me as its great for me.

Overall this is a great heavey/nu/alternative metal guitar and is brillant for the price. I've played for three years and I admit I'm nto great but I do ave a quite a bit of gear and this is one of two guitars I own the other being an SG which I use other styles such as classic rock, Pop punk and country etc and also keep in satndard tuning as I keep this one in drop C# which sounds great on it. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again or save up for something similar but with 7 strings. I love the big tight distorted sound it makes aswell as its deep clean sounds. I choose this guitar in particlur rather then look around as I saw once in a shop and fought I might give it a go and was hooked on it but sometimes I wish I had 7 strings on even a tremolo but I like it just the way it is!

The guitar is well build and strong. I don't gig but I recon this guitar would fit the bill and I would happily depend on it if I ever do. This guitar has suffered a few knocks and bumps and has its wounds but still plays great so its bound to last. It also stays in tune very well and easily to mantain thanks to the string through Bridge and the good wires it came with. The finish however does shop finger prints easily in the light so if your going to show it off in public you may want to give a quick clean.

This guitar was set up nicely when I got back in 2008 and still feels that way today. The Paint job and hardware was flawless and stayed together so all is well and the feel of neck is great due its amazing smoothness the same goes to the body which is in great shape and sits nicely on my lap and itsnt to heavey. Only issue that after time the lead socket does fall loose from time to time so it'll need screwing and soldering occasionally. All the electronics are good execpt agin after time when I Switch to the neck the pick up selector does need a little fiddle so it can work and there is little noise when changing pick ups.

There are 3 types of this guitar that are out that I'm aware of, the first being the one wtih offical EMG designed pickups, the second one with the INF1 & INF2 and the last being the one with the new Gibraltar (sp) bridge. Mine is the Second generation made in 2008 I think and its made in Indonesia which is a step above from china I guess. It features Standard fixed Bridge and tuners, INF pickups, 24 fret maple wizard neck, Basswood body, Rosewood fingerboard, Volume and tone controls, 5-way pick up selector and a stiring through body. The finish is black but has a white outline round it making it look very handsome and attractive I must say. Nice Standard features, good enough for me.