RGR321EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGR321EX

Price paid: € 349

Purchased from: StartMusic Local Store, SG, Germany

One of the most versatile guitars I own. Playing a big variety of different styles its splitable humbuckers fit nearly every type of music you wanna play on it. Though its clearly designed for metal it is even versatile enough to suite my jazzy songs as well as broad bluesy soloing. I use it with a Line 6 Spider IV 150HD Top live as well as with a Spider IV 15 amp for home recording. Elixir Nanoweb Custom light .09" up to .46" strings. From deep tuned accented palm muted rhythms up to clear bright solos, nearly everything is possible with the stock PU configuration. I use AT PL6720 Classic 351 Silver coated 2.4 - 2.7mm picks. So due to the 5 pickup settings plus the slight overdrive when volume poti switched to 10 and the tone poti there is a huge variety of sounds possible without it sounding any swampy. For tapping / shredding soloing i would recommend the hairband trick on this one, though a standard hairband would not fit due to the thin Wizard III neck.

Due to me playing a huge variety of styles but mainly rock/hard rock with jazzy and bluesy influences, the RGR321EX is a valuable repository of soundvarieties. I've been playing electric guitars for about 14 years now, and compared to the other guitars I own or have owned there is only one bottomline I can draw: I did not find such a versatile, stage withstanding, simple but beautiful guitar for such a low price in years. I am very happy with it and when you run by one, just try it out! As long as a guitar suites your ears it is the right one for you!

The first time I put my hands on the very thin Wizard III neck (Wizard II was renamed Wizard III in 2011 so there is no changes between WII and WIII necks!) it felt kind of weird. But half an hour later the neck of my customs Les Paul felt weird as well while the wizard neck became the second best neck shape I've ever played (If you ever get the chance to play a DBZ V Style Z-Neck try it, you will hardly resist carving every guitarneck you own). The RGR321EX is very lightweight compared to a Les Paul or even Standard Stratocaster without ever getting it's head pointing down, it is a great guitar to play a long gig with. The strap holders don't need security locks when used with the delivered strap, but as I am using veloury leather straps I just did the rubber washer trick and the strap never came off except when I wanted it to. It is a very reliable on guitar. The tuners keep the tension of the strings even after heavy bending soloing. The finish looks great though I decided to use static sticky transparent foil pickguard to not get it scratched. With a satined finish it would even look a bit more noble. All around a versatile and durable and reliable guitar!

The RGR321EX was set up well by the local store where I found it and fell in love with it. Overall it was set up great, even though I readjusted the neck pickup to fit my needs of a slightly overbright sounding high e string, but there was no need to readjust. I guess every guitarist has found out some specialties for himself. The finish was flawless. And with its white binding it is a simple beauty that can sound like a beast. The glossy piano like finish gets covered with fingerprints very fast (anyone that owns a first series Play Station 3 knows how annoying that can be) so you need to clean it a lot, but giving some tender loving care to your guitars wouldn't be a bad thing to do, so I would not mind.

- Build: 2011 in Indonesia - Body material: Basswood with White Binding - Bridge: Gibraltar Standard bridge - Hardware: Black Hardware - Wizard III Neck: 3-Piece Maple, Bound Rosewood Fretboard, Pearl Dot Inlays, 24 / Jumbo Frets, reversed headstock - Electronics: Neck - INF1 (Infinity 1)(Ceramic Magnets, passive, splitable); Bridge - INF2 (Infinity 2) (Alnico V Magnets, passive, splitable) - Controls: 1 Volume,1 Tone, 5-Way Lever (Positions are 1: Neck PU, 2: Neck PU parallel setup, 3: Neck + Bridge PU, 4: Bridge PU Single Coil Splitted, 5: Bridge PU) - Included gigbag, strap, cable, tools

TheBlackening91
    musiice wrote: I tried this guitar in a local store (uk). I think it was the 3rd version because of the gibraltar bridge. The neck was very comfortable like all the Ibanez I tried before but I didn't like the pickups what in my opinion are nothing but a fail. If you get this guitar you must swap the pickups to have a good axe, although you still can get good sounds with a valve amp. Why does Ibanez not invest more in decent pickups? eternal question. About design pretty cool no doubt.
    Keeping cost down, the best part about Ibanez guitars (especially in this range) is their cost.
    musiice