RGR321EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGR321EX

Price paid: £ 159.99

Purchased from: PMT Birmingham

This guitar suits my style of music (rock, alternative rock) perfectly, and to be honest, could probably suit any genre of music as I play metal, rock, blues, pop and even some techno and it sounds great on all of them. It has a very high input level so this is a lot louder than any other guitars you might have. As I haven't been playing guitar for while I play through an old and cheap Wem amp with a Line 6 Pod for my effects. I have played the Ibanez on 5 amps and all of them sound great, even without any effects on the amp or any effects pedals. If you want a twangy sort of blues sound then if you turn the tone up high with the bridge pick up on it sounds perfect or if you want to play chords for a rhythm guitar part, both pickups with the tone down low is brilliant, as you can tell there are loads of different sounds you can get from this guitar without having to change amp eq or putting any effects on.

Overall, I think this a quality sounding guitar with bad reliability and durability. This guitar will probably last me about 4 or 5 years, (until I'm 17 or 18) and then I would probably get something like a Fender or a Gibson. If it had one more thin, I would want it to be a whammy bar.

I think the main let down of this guitar has been the durability of it, and it is probably not the best guitar to gig with even though it has brilliant sound. I think it will carry on working for a long time but it will get damaged very easily. Saying that, I do gig about twice a month with it and it has never broken on me, however I would not gig with it without a backup.

After I first got this guitar from PMT in January 2012 I realised that it was not set up properly, as when you played the first fret it buzzed loads, my dad told me this was because the action was to low (for those beginers out there, the action is how far away the strings are from the neck) I took it back to shop to tell them and they sorted it out without an extra cost, now the action is perfect. But still, after 4 months of playing, the jack input is loose and the pickups are scratched so there are lines of gold on them when they are actually black. But apart from those two things, the set up is fine.

The RGR321EX was made in Indonesia, some time between 2007-2011. It has 24 jumbo frets. The fingerboard material is rosewood and the neck material 3 piece maple. The body is basswood with a black finish. The bridge is a Gibraltar Standard bridge. There is one volume control and one tone control which changes the tone completely from a bluesy like sound to a heavy metal sound perfect for power chords, however it does not seem to have much affect on the sound if you have distortion/overdrive on. It also has a 5 way pick up selector which can change the sound even better than the tone control, with my favourite being the neck pickup. The pickups are two humbuckers: INF1 (H) neck pick up and INF2 (H) bridge pickup.From the shop that I got it from (PMT, Birmingham) it came with no accessories.