RGR420EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGR420EX

Purchased from: Back Alley Music (Chester)

This guitar does it all for me, some just a lil chord melody to a mean metal riff. I have a rubbish 10 watt Yamaha GA10 amp with a DigiTech RP50 and it still sound imense. It isn't noisy at all when you are playing and you get a great tone. The bridge humbucker is great for solos, gives a sharp bright sound where as the neck humbucker has a deep, full sound perfect for backing and also for power chords ect. There is quite a variety of sounds because of the 5 way pickup selector.it makes deep osunds thin sounds sharp sounds. This guitar will satisfy your need of tone.

I play rock, metal well pretty much everything and it suits me just fine. I've been playuing a couple of years I have a Yamaha erg121c which I started with and a Pignose guitar for my holidays. If it were stolen or lost I would chase down the person who stole it and take it back because it's my baby I would definetly buy it again. I just love the flexibilty of the guitarand the finish, I just love everything baout it. The only thing I wish it had was the Floyd Rose trem arm the one that has like a srew bolt thing.. and that's it. Affordable metal and rock thrills!

This guitar will definately withstand Live playing without a doubt. It is fanstastic guitar. The hardware will last ages if looked after properly. The strap button are solid and I would definetly depend on this guitar Live. I owuld probably not need a backup. I love the finish it is really cool and makes you feel unique. My only problem is the temolo arm.

This guitar was set up very well. The action is low and the pickups didn't even need adjusting. The finish is great and eye catching. I have the Silver arctic frost finish which is great and I really like it. The headstock matches the body's finish with mirror Ibanez lettering. shiny... I think the pcikup up selector makes a tiny bit of noise but it isn't noticeable. I was quite anoyed that my tremolo arm didn't really fit in properly. I've had to use selotape to make it a more snug fit, this might not happen with your but it is with mine. only a 9 because of temolo

I don't know what year it was made but I do know that it says it was made in Indonesia. It is the black and silver arctic frost finish. It has 24 jumbo frets with sharktooth inlays, which are very cool. It has a 25.5" scale, a rosewood fingerboard with white fingerboard binding. The neck is the 3pc Wizard II Maple Neck which is soo nice to play on. It is a super Strat style bodywith a classic pointy'er Ibanez cut away. It's quite light for me which is a bonus, well I think it is light anyway. My Ibanez model has the Edge III Tremolo Bridge which is fantastic apart from the fact that the tremolo arm is slightly loose inside the hole. It's quite anoying but when you get used to it it's amazing. It stays in tune just fine. On this guitar you get a pair of mean original v7(neck) and v8(neck) Ibanez pickups which are passive. They give a great tone and a great tone for metal and rock. It has a 5 way selector Switch with a tone and a volume knob. This guitar has 6 black gotoh non locking tuners which are very good. The guitar came with a black tremolo arm, a spare trem spring, 3 allan keys and an offer for a gig bag and I got some picks. I got a 1 year warranty.

kaizerkhan13
    i tried one of these at my guitar store and bought a 300 dollar ESP instead. idk if the store had done somethin to it or what, but it felt like a plank of wood in my hand.
    scaline1
    just to let y'all know to tighten the arm you push the tremolo down and then there is a small screw hole which u can tighten or loosen the arm =]
    Way Cool JR.
    Don't quote me on this though the manufacturer says ibanez v7/v8.other forums said they where manufactured by emg but don't hold me to that I will have to look further into that.
    AC/DCnut
    AC/DCnut wrote: awesome guitar. igot one, he does have a point about the tremolo arm tho.
    sorry, just realised bout the allen key, cheers 4 dat, I can play da beat it solo now
    Way Cool JR.
    Tomorrow i will be ordering the Ibanez rgr420ex silver arctic frost with the v7/v8 in it.I am very curious about this guitar very mixed reviews on this guitar.I play mostly 80's metal they say the v stands for vintage.80's music now falls in that category.damn I am getting old i am hoping they nail the sound I love.I will definitely let people know what I think about them.I have a very keen sence of tone when it comes to metal music.
    AJDrac
    Yes you can put actives in. I put SD Blackouts in mine after comparing between them and the 81/85s (personal preference for sure). Just get some foam and shove the battery in there with the pots/switch, works great! Also, the V7/V8 pickups on mine when I first bought it sounded slightly wimpy. I do think they would have sounded ok through the amp I now have, but I haven't even dreamed of regretting changing them to actives. Can't beat what you are getting for what you are paying on this thing. I wouldn't give it a perfect 10 as mine seems to lack sustain (not terribly, but noticeably), but I love the playability and I love getting comments every time I take it somewhere new!
    omgznoes
    can you put 81's and 85's i wouoldnt have thought there's room as the ibanez's are passive
    the_extreme
    I was so mad when I bought this. I had saved up enough money to buy it, so after 3 months of saving up and anticipation, I ordered it off of Music123.com Red arctic frost. When it arrived 5 days later, I was so happy and I immediatly tried it out. Apparently, the neck was warped enough that almost ALL of the frets had fret buzz. 90 % of all the frets had fret buzz. I even tried bending on high up frets like the 15th fret for example, and there was no sound, it was just a flat note. I tried the Edge III tremolo, all the strings just like went against the neck and made no sound. I was so frustrated and angry. I ended up just getting the RG420 which is essentially the same guitar just a 2008 version (or 2009 not sure).
    AC/DCnut
    awesome guitar. igot one, he does have a point about the tremolo arm tho.
    KISS FanTom
    i own it, and i must say it is perfect. stay in tune for months,great sound,comfortable. People say the ibanez pickups are bad and also the edge III. This isn't true!
    Nevermind93 : Does anyone know whether the pickups are better on this or the RG320EX?
    the V7-V8 pickups are better.
    jagstangman
    I have this guitar in the red colour shown and i felt it bad that it was marked down for the tremelo being loose because it comes with a smal alan key, push the bar towards the body to raise the trem and there is a small hole for tightening the tremelo with the smallest alan key it comes with, and id also like to say my guitar came with fret buzz on several frets although it was on show in the shop and may have been altared after factory set up so i wouldnt hold that against all guitars of this model
    ralph42794
    i have this finish on my guitar except it's a rgr320ex I think it's discontinued now in the 320ex...also my finish is greenish
    tobyplaysguitar
    this guitar is incredible for metal, the neck is thin, fast, smooth, and the action is suitably low for sweeps etc, however, if you REALLY want to get the most out of this guitar, get a set of EMG's (81/85) installed, it will blow the shit out of any room you play in, and if u have the money, get an Ibanez Edge Pro bridge, and this guitar will be a machine x
    Tallguyalec
    okay, overall this is an phenomenal guitar for the price. but Ibanez quit making the RGR series AWHILE ago. so if you find one its even more of a steal! I'm so glad i did