RGT320Q review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT320Q

My style's a metal fusion of classical/jazz, playing a lot of variations from classical use of arpeggios to heavy metal rythms and tapping, and through a Marshall MG100DFX, and it handles all my styles at least, with excellent versatility. The RG is somewhat typecast as a metal guitar but this performs well in all renditions of classical pieces to immediate switches to neo-classical metal. Other than delay through a clean channel to offer a techno vibe to sweeps, I've had little experience with effects on this guitar, but it handles them with no complaints other than the lack of a single coil can at times make the subtler tones more difficult to achieve. The bridge is incredible, I have read that it can withstand being flung around by the tremolo but at this moment in time I'm too protective of it to even consider it! Even so, the craziest of divebombs are nothing to this thing, and the double locking system ensures it remains precisely in tune. It's lack of distinctive sound may frustrate guitarists looking for a unique tone, but it's versatile enough to replicate other styles beautifully.

Overall, I'm absolutely delighted to be the owner of this guitar. while, as I've already said, it's quality does not massively exceed the price tag (around $2500) I would undoubtedly pay more should I have to buy this again. And yes, were someone to steal it I'd break down. But there is nothing I've found to dislike about this guitar, even the case is spectacular. And it is by far the best guitar I've had the pleasure to play. I would highly recommend if it's within your price range. Other options are the fantastic PRS customs, or custom les pauls, but after playing those alternatives I found this to be more of a pleasure to play, and be seen to play. I feel it's almost an injustice to give a 9, (due to most other reviews going wild and throwing 10s around everywhere) but I think the day I find a guitar I'd prefer to play every day over this one will be far off.

I've been reluctant to gig as harshly as I have with other guitars when using this, not only because of the price but because it's absolutely stunning. Saying that though I practice no less than 5 hours a day on it and it has been holding up perfectly in the 5 months I've had it. cleaned daily, and I intend to have it serviced regularly (it's has one already, everything was fine) although, I broke top E after 2months of having it, this can only be used as evidence to say how addictive it is to play, and there's no reason why it can't last without fault for at least 15years. Saying that again though, this is not exceptional considering the price paid, and so 9 again.

The J-craft setup was flawless, I did not have to make any adjustments for weeks, and even then, it's characteristically simple to adjust, being within the RG family. I've not had any issues with it thus far, and so having never owned an Ibanez previously myself, have not had personal experience with customer service, but I believe it will be some time before that is necessary. considering the price paid though, it is only what can be expected and in fairness does not surpass original expectations, and so a 9 is all I can give.

This is the 2007 model, made by the prestigious Team J-Craft, those lovely japanese expert luthiers. It has 24 jumbo frets on a 25.5" mahogany neck with through-body design (as the RGT suggests) rosewood fingerboard. AAA quilted maple top, sharp superstrat design and double locking Floyd Rose licensed edge pro brige. double humbucker set-up at neck and bridge, DiMarzio IBZs. The guitar comes with a Team J Craft prestige case. None of these features can be faulted, albeit for the weight of the mahogany (this is a relatively heavy guitar) and the obvious delay to tuning with the double locking trem can make this guitar more difficult to gig with than most.

JoelTheShredder
    how can this only be rewarded a 9 for like 1700 ?!?! thats just insane. i would at least expect an 11 out of it.
    CelestialChaos
    Let me just say that I used to hate this guitar. It had horrible tone with the stock pickups...absolutely disgusting. But I swapped them out for a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck and a Fred in the bridge, and it sounds killer now. Really nails that hard rock/shred tone I was looking for(as you might have guessed from the Petrucci/Satriani pickup choices).
    Grim.Reaper
    I had many expensive guitars in my life, and finaly ended up with this one. I have this guitar for a 2 years and trust me its one of the best I've ever played. Tone is perfect, perhaps you had problems with an amp. On this piece of art you can easly play anything you want....
    givemeajackson
    i'm always surprised that so many reviews of really high end guitars state that the guitars are used with MGs, vyvpyrs, spiders or boss multi fx. i was exactly the other way around, i spent 1,300 bucks on a halfstack and played it with a 300 bucks guitar...