RGT42 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42

Purchased from: zZounds

Ibanez RG guitars have always been one of my main choices for hard rock and heavy metal. I own several different models, but the neck-thru construction on the RGT42 adds immense sustain. I'm playing it through 1980's model Peavey VTM 120 head with a 4X12 Beringer cab. I get a very crunchy rhythm sound using this setup but with a little EQ'ing and the neck pickup, I can pull some really smooth lead tones. I use it for metal, rock, blues, bluegrass, and folk music too. It's a versatile machine!

I play a lot of shred style metal and the various flavors of death metal. This guitar is perfectly matched for those styles of music. I've been playing guitar for 9 years. I own a Ibanez RG570, a RG270DX, a mexician made Fender Standard Strat, a Fender Squier Showmaster Strat Jason Ellis Sig model, a Jackson Kelly, a Hamer Slammer CT-40, a Takaminie acoustic, and a Greg Bennett Ultramatic Samick Bass. If it was stolen, I would replace it with H.R. Giger model. I love the neck-thru construction, but I'm not too fond of the new Edge Pro II tremolos. This particular one seems to come out of tune with any mild whammy action. I also heard others mention the instability of these new Edge trems. I wish this guitar came with the EMG 81/85 combo.

This guitar is great for Live settings. It's a very simple and reliable design. The finish is rock solid and seems like it can take some abuse. This guitar is my main rig. I would use it on a gig without a backup no problem.

This guitar come set-up with 9's to E Standard. The action was indeed smooth and low. The pickups were at proper levels. Even though I purchased this guitar as a blem, to this day I have not found one cosmetic flaw anywhere on it.

v1g1t!
    i have been playing for 6 years, i'm turning 14, and i have a squire and it is played thru a laney LX20R reverb practice amp and it suuuuucks. So i'm gonna try this, and if it's not good, i'll sell it and buy a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR guitar.
    mikeespace
    Hehe I've got one of these without the new edge trem, and I've installed EMG 81/85, sound awesome, would prefer it without the jumbo frets but hey, it works! Sounds awesome live as well, kicks the listeners teeth in when i start playing!!!
    ranikade3
    "SOUND PERFECT" What are you stupid, EMG's will just make it sound like a stupid ****ing shred guitar(which it is and every RG is) Fuck RG's and EMGS's... The onl reason why people play ibanez is because they play better on an ibanez than they play a fender or a schecter.
    the spiker wrote: If anyone wants to upgrade the pickups (which I will do shortly) put some EMG's in there. Like anEMG 85on the neck and 81 on da bridge. Then you'll have your perfect sound : : : : : :