RGT42 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42

Purchased from: Guitar Center - used

I play mostly shred and instrumentals, and I've been playing for a little over 3 years. It has the Ibanez infinity pickups, which are universally disliked by the guitar community. I personally don't think they sound awful. A lot of variation can be found by simply changing the pickup height, I've found. The clarity is decent for single-noting it but when it comes to chord based riffs it gets muddy fast. The body is made of mahogany so it has a good dark tone. I'm playing this through a DOD YJM308 preamp overdrive into a Randall RG50TC tube combo (with a DigiTech RP250 in the effects loop for reverb/delay/chorus/etc). This on the clean channel sounds fantastically warm and responsive. I'm not a huge fan of the gain channels on the amp but this guitar makes them sound better than usual. While I'm at uni I play from the YJM208 into the RP250 out of the headphone jack and into an iPod speaker through the auxiliary in hole. I can get a very good lead tone with this setup, believe it or not.

This is a great match for my playing style. The neck profile is very flat and thin, combined with the low action it makes for a very fast neck. I also own a PRS Santana SE model, and a G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, both of which are very good guitars. They have their uses but when I need to play fast and clean, I go for the RGT42 every time. If it were stolen, I'd be irate. I'd probably try to track it down because I think I'd have a better chance of finding the thief than another one of these guitars for as cheap as I paid. I absolutely love the neck-thru construction and the floating trem. It's a wonderful guitar and after blocking the trem I think I made a steal :-)

The guitar is very durable. I've personally banged it off of a couple corners around my house and no noticeable scratches so far. The strap buttons felt a bit like plastic for some reason so I switched them out for some homemade straplocks. Don't worry they're reliable =) If I considered gigging without a backup to ever be an option, I would use this in a gig without a backup. Everything except the replacement bridge feels very durable. None of the adjustment screws feel like the heads will strip (unless you overturn, in which case that's your fault anyways)

Action was great when I bought it. Pickup height was good for what it was but not my tastes. Bridge route was fine. No visible flaws except some slight cracking around the frets in the binding on the neck. Bridge and mounting rings were very corroded, not beyond use but again I bought it used so it was probably okay out of the factory. I didn't like the Standard knobs it came with (mostly because the only knobs I like are barrel knobs) so I switched those out.

24 fret neck-thru mahogany shredbeast. Has two Ibanez infinity pickups. Comes stock with an Ibanez Edge Pro II tremolo. The one I bought has a lo-trs pro that I plan on switching out as soon as possible. I won't comment on the tuning stability or whammy function as my guitar did not come with the stock equipment. Universal volume and tone and a 5-way pickup selector. Not very innovative as far as coil tapping or anything like that is concerned but still a great guitar, so I give it an 8 here. Other than a floating single-locking trem, neck-thru construction, and 24 frets, this guitar is like any other. Personally it's exactly what I was looking for.