RGT42 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42

With the stock pickups, the sound was literal poop. The INF pickups have no character, are extremely muddy, and have little tightness. With a pickup change this is amazing. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (all tube amp) with an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff distortion pedal and a DIY Kits Piledriver boost pedal. On cleans, I tend to use the Liquifire (neck pup) the most. It is John Petrucci's signature neck pickup and has great tones especially for intricate clean tapping riffs and such. I don't use the D-sonic much for cleans unless I am using the split coil position. On distortion, this thing kicks a-s. With amp distortion and the boost pedal I can grab some creamy distortion tones similar to that of an Orange Dark Terror. The neck pickup has no muddy qualities like most neck pups do. The Bridge pickup has so much cut and tightness its crazy. With the Metal Muff, this thing screams. I can snag every tone from August Burns Red to Nirvana with simple EQ changes. Solos sound fantastic, not too trebly and very melodic with either pickup, but I'm more of a rhythm player. These pickups are so HOT that I only need the Distortion dial set at 9 O'clock. As humbuckers, the pickups are pretty quiet. The mahogany body gives the tone a really good thickness and chunk, and the neck thru design gives it great sustain and resonant qualities.

I play clean tapping stuff (think Maps And Atlases, Terra Melos), Math Rock/Metal (The Fall Of Troy, August Burns Red) jazz (Stanley Jordan), and Classic Rock (almighty Led Zeppelin, Nirvana), and most recently, Djent (Periphery, The Contortionist). The guitar is great for all styles, but of course its more metal oriented. I think I'll keep this for quite awhile and it compliments my Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH fairly well. This thing stays in Drop C. Always. [Insert insane comment about killing thieves over this guitar here] etc, etc. I definitely love the neck of this the most. This is my first Ibanez and I must say I'm very pleased. They do not make the RGT series anymore so if you have a chance to pick one up, I'd highly recommend doing so. You won't be disappointed.

Haven't used it live yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. Everything but the trem seems great quality. The strap buttons aren't the best, they've let the strap go a few times so I'm probably going to change those to strap locks. I'd use it without a backup in a heartbeat. I love this guitar. I give it an 8 only because of the bad quality of the tremolo system and locking nut. Also, the tone pot is very scratchy when turned but I'm sure that it's just dirty. The finish has lasted circa 10 years. Enough said.

Like I said, I got this used so I have no clue how it was set up from the factory. I got it in great working condition so obviously it was made very well. I put in the pickups myself so I adjusted the heights for them to my liking. The finish is the same gunmetal gray all over the guitar, even on the neck and headstock. It seems very reliable and had only a few nicks in it left by the previous owner. Everything was routed perfectly which made changing pickups a breeze. Not many flaws to speak of. It looks and plays fantastic.

I got this guitar secondhand, I traded about-to-break Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II for it and boy was I happy. I'm not really sure what year it was made, but my guess is either late 90's or early 00's. Pretty sure it was conceived in Korea. - 24 jumbo frets - Neck-thru - Entire guitar is one single piece of mahogany - Gun Metal grey finish, pretty nice - Super Strat body style - Licensed Floyd Rose trem - Ibanez LO-TRS II - Ibanez Locking nut - 2 INF passive pickups, pretty hot - 1 volume, 1 tone, 5 way switch (neck, neck parallel, neck and bridge, inner coils of neck and bridge, bridge) - Normal Ibanez tuners The controls on this are pretty standard like on every Ibanez, however, its the neck-thru design and mahogany body that give this guitar its amazing tone and sustain. Plus the neck is a Wizard II so it is very shredable, with wide frets, skinny profile, and a flat board. **ALSO, I replaced the stock pickups with a DiMarzio Liquifire in the neck and a DiMarzio D-Sonic in the bridge. The pickup change made a considerable difference in tone quality and clarity. I plan to change the stock Ibanez trem and locking nut as these have worn out really easily and fairly quickly. Being a Licensed Floyd guitar, this is a pain to restring and set up so be prepared. I put a pack of Ernie Ball Power Slinkies on this and had to add another spring in back of the trem.

MarkoakaNiggaK
    the spiker wrote: If anyone wants to upgrade the pickups (which I will do shortly) put some EMG's in there. Like anEMG 85on the neck and 81 on da bridge. Then you'll have your perfect sound : : : : : :
    I don't agree. EMG pups ar just too sterile. Using them at gigs is OK, but try to find a producer who will work with u if u have just a guitar with EMG pups. Scan the net for some Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios and then compare the sound. And SD-s are in my opinion much better on basswood guitars than any EMG could be.
    danielasharp6
    @MarkoakaNigga (er) Pretty sure Within The Ruins, Trivium, and Metallica didn't have a problem getting produced and they all only use EMGs.