RGT42DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42DX

Purchased from: Axe Music

It is really difficult to describe the sound that you can get out of this guitar, because it really depends on how you use it. When playing it clean, it has a full, bright sound, but the output of the pickups is fairly high, so it will distort the sound if you're not carefull. If you've got any distortion on you're amp, this guitar sounds quite muddy. This guitar is not a rhythm guitar, and does not do chord's very well (which is unfortuanate because the strings are spaced for easy chording). IF you turn the gain up high enough, and add a whole whack of compression, you will get that Ibanez sound that is know so well as that of a Virtuoso such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, or John Petrucci (who all play, or used to play, an Ibanez). You can also get some really crazy sounds with the whammy bar. You can do you're standard squeels, and dive bombs, and pretty much anything else that you can do with a whammy bar. This is also a really good guitar for getting harmonics. If you use the bridge pickup, you can find some sort of harmonic on just about every part of the strings (even if the gain isn't very high).

This guitar is definitely my new favorite. I've always loved the quality, and the sound that Ibanez guitars have been known for and it was a hppy day when I got my hands on this guitar. Normally I wouldn't buy another guitar of the same brand, but I think that I would buy another Ibanez, because this guitar has been great. The only thing about this guitar that I don't really like are the pickups. As soon as I save up enough money I'll probably buy a set of EVO's, or something like that. Also, the Edge Pro II doesn't allow the whammy bar to stay in it's place, so everytime you let go of the bar, it hangs down. I'm sure that there's a way to fix that, and I'll figure it out one day. But other than those two things, the guitar is great. It's black, sleek, and pointy, the three things that make a guitar beautifull.

All of the hardware, and everything else on this guitar seems very reliable. Everything is solid in it's place, and there have been no problems yet. This is now my new live guitar, and although it's sound isn't the greatest, it's a great show guitar. I don't think that I would ever play it without a back up though, even in a practice, because the strings are always breaking (and usually at the very worst times). It's not something that I would blame on the guitar though, it's just my style of playing (I love to use the whammy all the time). The only thing that worries me, is that the neck is fairly thin, and if I ever were to trip on a wire or something and ram it into a wall, I think that the neck would probably break before the wall did. But other than that, it's a very reliable guitar.

The finish of this guitar was definitely one of the most impressive that I've seen. To this day, I have not found one scratch, or imperfection in the quality of the finish. All of the hardware is installed correctly, and all of the electronics were set up really good. At first, the travel on the guitar was really, high, but I fixed that easily, and now it play's beautifully. Even the tremolo system is staying the way it was when I got it. It is an extremely nice guitar to look at.

This beautiful 2006 RG series Ibanez is one of the top RG's without going to the prestige series. It's body is made of mahogany, and it has a rosewood fretboard. Along with jumbo frets, this guitar comes with dicoloured sharktooth inlays and a Wizard 2 neck. It come's standard with Ibanez brand passive pickups, INF1, and INF2. As with the other guitars in the RG series, this one comes standard with an Edge Pro II bridge (liscensed by floyd rose) and a locking nut. The body is finished with a pearl black, and the hardware is black and steel grey. There are only two control knobs on this guitar (one for volume, and one for tone), and there is also a 5-way selector.

SpaceAce32
    MINORCHILD wrote: Bloody awsum guitar guys i was planing on buying one of them and know i know wats on it and how good it is thnx guyz
    awesome* planning* what's* thanks* guys*
    OneLastSaluteFW
    i have a rg320 deluxe quilt love the guitar especially for its price ibanez necks are def. competition to other brands that didnt start by copying others im sold on ibanez and esp (just my awkward taste?)
    MINORCHILD
    p3rry_uk
    I have an rgr320 pretty much like this guitar, once i started playing pretty fast heavy riffs i didnt like the feel of it, the pickups are awful so i replaced them and its much better.
    Mahoru
    i dont like how thick ibanez is thats why i dont buy them
    Are you speaking about the neck?? Cause Ibanez makes the flattest necks, so thickness is the last problem!!
    suckme
    yeh ibanezes hav the thinest necks. im thinkin of buyin of these. will the pickups do good? or should i buy emg's or sumthing?
    NightGLower
    Chop_Suey92 wrote: scarfacesuit wrote: i'm with stupid wrote: ooo...it looks pretty! if i had the money i would probly buy it. but i don't. so i will just look. it looks pretty? you don't play guitar much do you? Does it really matter? It is a good looking guitar, and, yeah, if I did have the money, I would buy it!
    IT DOES MATTER MAN... guitar isnt about looks! its about the sound, i hate fender guitars cus they are soooo freaking ugly but man those guitars have a kickass sound.
    Cobalt Blue
    i like it.. might get one.. i have an ibanez.. but the one i have is more like a strat copy, doesn't have the same look that this and other ibanez guitars have.
    DR_SH
    I was thinking about getting the fixed bridge version of this guitar, but I'm now thinking of getting a fender standard strat to replace my copy. they look awesome and its a super strat so whats not to like..... other than the fact that I'v heard the humbuckers are a little on the weak side. saying that after I've got my new amp sorted I think I might get one and put in some DiMarzio's to get that real Ibanez sound.
    guitarflame
    trouble37
    I bought this guitar only i got one with a set bridge, not a big fan of Floyd Rose style Bridges. I have to disagree with some of the posts saying that the pickups suck, there actually pretty damn good compared to other ibanez pickups.... although im upgrading to some EMGs later this week anyway
    Burnt Ice
    THEY DISCONTINUED THE ONES WITH THE FIXED BRIDGES!-Why oh why, I wanted an RGT42DXFX sooooo bad.
    Mahoru
    guitarflame wrote: AWEsomE guitar! simply awesome.. great lock system for key stability.. the whammy bar allows great sustain especially bends the colour black pearl is simply GREAT! SHEER greatness. good against stage lights.. i have to agree.. PICKUPS are lousy.. just changethem to EMG 81 and EMG 60 pickups though it cost abit more.. its worth it.. the neck through construction is awesome for durability.. the jumbo fret and 24 fret radius allows awesome soloing sounds.. when u do change the pickups.. you will have ONE OF THE BEST HARD ROCK METaL guitars the world has EVEr SeEn! No joke.. it will definitely be a GuiTaR MasTeRclasS! PS : ibanez came out with a new verison of this guitar.. it is RGT42DX BUT its colour is IPT.. So NOT GOOD! get the black pearl one.. the bridge is way better not to mention the wizard maple neck.. this guitar was also endorsed by SCOTT DANOUGH of BLEEDING THROUGH.. ever heard of him o.0?!?!?
    The same here. I loved the old RGT42DX, but don't like the new one. Iron Pewter is too bright for me, I don't like the matching headstock, and the Edge III is worse than the Edge Pro II (anyway I'd replace it xD). If I find the Black Pearl one I may buy it, with a bridge change (I'd like the Lo-Pro Edge, but don't know if it would fit) and pickup upgrade (DiMarzio's Steve's Special & Air Norton), and then would be almost perfect xD
    TheCarl88
    They have extremely thin necks but Iabnez don't have the thinnest, my Jackson KVX probably has the thinnest neck I've played up to date but I think when they said thick they meant that the neck was wide and not thick, common thing to mistake.
    hamim
    killer looks but does the string goes out of tune when the whammy takes a scuba dive? I'd prefer an upside down headstock to give it a murderous image
    Locomo
    I gotta RG350, I can't get anything but the clean sound. I don't know shit really. Whats the compression? I want that sound!
    Y.D.P.B.C
    Thunderstrucked wrote: why has it 5 way switch for 2 humbuckers?
    5 way for 2 humbuckers = neck, bridge, neck and bridge, inside coils of neck and bridge, neck connected in parralell
    Shinozoku
    I plan to at least try this guitar out, because of the tone I'm trying to find. I figure the walnut in the neck and the mahogany body should give the the lower midrange for down tuned metal riffing, and the maple in the neck and Edge-pro will allow me to pull off some crazy solos If I do get one, though, I'll most definatley buy new pickups.
    Deadeye_X7
    I have a 370DX myself, better pickups in it then on the T42 here, but the hardware's all black, the t42 definately looks cooler.
    wallyyfm
    these things are great, but i'm sold on the ZR trems, I will only use those from now on and that last post is stupid...why do you think, to split the coils and mix pickups...duh
    Chop_Suey92
    Icebolt
    Looks like a great guitar, how much is it, mine sucks and i need a new one
    i'm with stupid
    HmTownHero1007
    ibanez makes some decent guitars... their old flying v copies are about the coolest guitars ever
    Dithindious
    Deadeye_X7 : I have a 370DX myself, better pickups in it then on the T42 here
    I thought the infinity 1 and 2 pickups were slightly hotter than 3 and 4 which have a better clean tone!?
    scarfacesuit
    it looks pretty? you don't play guitar much do you?