RGT42DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42DX

Purchased from: Curly Music

My main musical style is classic rock and metal and this guitar is certainly primarily known as a Metal guitar, however, it isn't the one trick pony some people make it out to be as I also play Blues and '60s music on it. Anything from BB King to A7X really, though it has to be said that it's more comfortable at the metal end of the spectrum. The stock pups are actually reasonably powerful and produce a decent tone for Metal, though I've modified mine a bit. It takes a pickup upgrade very well and is worth doing and it has loads of sustain due to the thru neck design. Without the thru neck this guitar would cost a lot less but overall it's a very impressive instrument for the money.

I simply love this guitar and there is nothing I would change it for this side of 1000. The main guitar I compared this to when buying was a Jackson and while I liked them, the Ibanez won for 3 main reasons: superior build quality; more varied tone and that gorgeous thru neck. I've changed the Standard 5-way selector for a Vintage American series Fender 3-way as I found that I just didn't need the 5-way options that Ibanez provided. To give me the tonal options I want I prefer a 3-way selector with a 500k push/pull volume control for coil tapping. I've also changed the stock pickups for a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats, which are fantastic pups, giving a rich and harmonic tone that is also capable of handling huge amounts of distortion while also offering great clarity. The best feature of the guitar is undoubtedly the thru neck and I say this because it is something I would never do without again. If I ever replace this guitar it would only be for another thru neck design; that is how good this feature is.

I do use this guitar Live and it is totally reliable. The only reason I take a backup to a gig is in case a string breaks as they're a pain to restring. Having said that, I've never needed to use a backup. Everything on it is rock solid with the only blemish being the volume and tone controls I mentioned previously.

Build quality is impressive. My previous guitar was a Ritchie Sambora Fender Stratocaster and I'd say the build quality of the Ibanez is a match for it in most areas. My only real gripe is that the volume and tone controls discolour relatively quickly. The action can be set very low thanks to a 400mm radius neck and that's exactly how I like it. I use 10-46 strings but Standard the guitar comes with 9-42 so the action can go even lower.

This is a Korean built Ibanez RG model with 24 jumbo frets. The body is mahogany and the neck is a 5 piece construction made from maple and walnut. The neck is a Wizard II so it's very thin, flat and fast and this model is also a thru neck so access to upper frets is easy. It is a H/H pickup configuration with a 5-way selector as standard, one volume and one tone control. The pickups are INF1 and INF2 and it comes with an Edge Pro II floating trem system, though I believe later ones are equiped with an Edge III unit.

jaxin7
    NightGLower wrote: Chop_Suey92 wrote: scarfacesuit wrote: i'm with stupid wrote: ooo...it looks pretty! if i had the money i would probly buy it. but i don't. so i will just look. it looks pretty? you don't play guitar much do you? Does it really matter? It is a good looking guitar, and, yeah, if I did have the money, I would buy it! IT DOES MATTER MAN... guitar isnt about looks! its about the sound, i hate fender guitars cus they are soooo freaking ugly but man those guitars have a kickass sound.
    actually, yeah. guitar is a combo of looks and sound. you need a guitar that sounds good, no doubt about that; but if you don't like the look, it makes the guitar less fun to play. if you do like the look, it makes it way more fun because as you play, you think, "man, i look sweet with this guitar." even if that hello kitty guitar has a killer sound, it's all in vain because no one wants to play that spawn of hell. see my point?
    jman141
    love how ibanez guitars play but they just dont sound good at all
    oks
    this guitar is for a player...surely this one was made with the priority of sound quality, it does compensate for the simple looks
    XSider
    DoubleyouW wrote: 53rd...ed =D i counted lmao
    You've probably got quite a lot of time cause it's indeed the 53rd comment... lol. i counted too
    filthylittleboy
    I'm saving up for a RG2550Z with dimarzio/ibz H/S/H pups, better quality bridge and hardware, and the fret inlays are SEX! mm but the white with a black headstock is pretty ugly >.
    _GoingBlind_
    Ibanez doesn't really make any bad guitars, they make wierd and less expensive, but none suck. I one this ,but I prefer my s470, it plays faster and sounds beefy with a voice, though the RG has better sustain.IMO
    51VH50
    i bought this guitar. it looked great in the stores. however after a week of playing the entire finish was wearing off into an oily splotchy mess (the hardware). i returned it and a few months later bought a hellraiser. different guitar but i love mine. plus the trem does not hold tuning at ALL.
    roksta101
    looks shweet... i wanna upgrade to this or something in the same range from my RG270DX...