RGT42DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42DX

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

The bridge pickup gives off a really bright tone that sounds clear in the cleans and in rough distortion. It really brings out harmonics nicely too, perfect for slamming in squealies in hard rock/metal songs! The neck pickup gives a nice, thicker and warmer tone that handles distortion great. In the cleans, it sounds a bit muddy, but I usually use the bridge pickup for brighter clean tones anyway. The pickups never really sounded noisy, which was really nice because my old Epiphone G-310 sometimes would get noisy. Either that or the sound would just sound dull and kinda beaten down. What I love about these pickups, is they always sound hot. They sound fantastic under any circumstances and you never find a dull or boring tone! Overall, the sounds you get out are perfect for things like the clean echoey sounds of U2, to the hard, effect laden rock of Rage all the way to the brutal shredding of Metallica.

I play a lot of things. I play ska and alternative, bands like The Strokes and Bloc Party. However, I really love rock and metal, from bands like Paul Gilbert, Metallica, and SOAD to U2, Smashing Pumpkins, Audioslave and Rage Against The Machine. I can get lots of the sounds from those bands on this guitar. It suit's it perfectly: built for rock/hard rock/metal but can get those cleaner tones when you need it to. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years, and I bought this as a second guitar. I did about 6 months of searching and trying guitars before I got this one. It fit's my music taste perfectly. I've got a Line 6 Spider III that I use with a DigiTech Whammy, Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby Wah, Boss SD-1 and a Boss DD-5. It works great with all of those. I have no regrets about buying this guitar; if it were lost or stolen, well, I'd never let it get lost or stolen, because I love it too much. Overall, a great guitar for the price. It's easily one of Ibanez's best woodworks. Great sound and durability are combined to make a killer axe that is one of the best value guitars today.

I had a show on Valentines Day. I tuned it a week before hand and locked the nut. I played the 45 minute set at the show, with plenty of whammy divebombing and played at least an hour a day for a week afterwards, once again with plenty whammy action going on. I checked the tuning, out of curiosity and it is still in perfect tune. Two weeks and still in perfect tune! Very reliable if you ask me! Everything feels solid, but since it's a locking trem, I'll still gig with a backup, just because if a string breaks you're out of tune and screwed. Finish seems high quality, won't wear off easy I'm sure.

Action was perfect, straight out of the box. Just low enough to make shredding a breeze but high enough to have absolutely no fret buzz at all. The tremolo required no adjustment either, which is nice because that can be a real annoyance when you first unwrap it and you just want to shred! Everything else felt really sturdy and nice. The wood had no flaws; no chips in the finish anywhere, it looked beautiful and clean. They did a really nice job of setting it up before they shipped it out. You can tell by this guitar that Ibanez really makes quality instruments.

Made in 2008. 24 Jumbo Frets with Bound Rosewood Fretboard. Mahogany Body with Flamed Maple Top and Walnut/Maple Neck. Neck Through Construction. Typical RG Shape. Ibanez Edge III Bridge (Floyd Rose Style Tremolo). H-H pickup Configuration with Passive IBZ INF1 & INF2 Pickups. One volume, one tone, 5 way selector Switch. Comes with allen wrenches, whammy bar and Standard 1/4" 10 ft. Cord. I was apprehensive about the Edge III bridge. I've read it's horrible and a real pain in the arse to work with, but I've really had no problem with it. With a proper setup, it works just fine. Yeah it's no Edge ZR/Pro, but you can't get better unless you shell out way more cash for a Prestige with a Pro/Zero. I like how Ibanez gives you allen wrenches and cord and whammy bar. They really give you everything you need to jam right out of the box. The neck thru construction is great because you it's really durable and easy to access the upper frets. Usually you only get that kind of craftsmanship on very expensive guitars like Gibsons that can easily run over thousands of dollars.

oorocker76
    I have this guitar i paid $300 for it. Everything is awesome except for the pickups they suck. They are very muddy and are just awful. Gonna buy some emg's and this will be a great guitar
    conortheshreder
    I'm getting one of those soon does anyone now what the tremelo is like i'm getting the one with a edge2 not a edge 3?
    whencowsfart101
    I just got this today, it's ****ing awesome in every way. Especially as the previous owner had also swapped the stock pickups out for Seymour Duncans.
    rgman13
    my wife surprised me with the rgt42dxwh which i was dreaming about in the store, i loved it so much i did all my research on it and discovered they only released it in america in 2 finishes so after some hunting i tracked down an rgt42dxbp used in florida and quickly ordered it, so now i have 2 of these beautiful guitars 1 white 1 black.
    oggen_swe
    love this guitar, sounds great, looks fantastic and feels like heaven in your hands.
    r3conmarine90
    the first review says he was having a problem with the tremelo bar staying in place. ive had the rgt42DXWH for over a year now, and theres a small hole on the bridge near the whammy bar hole for you to insert a small allen wrench and tighten the grip to hold the bar in place. now you know.
    rgt42dx
    oh shit, i had this guitar for like 4-5 years and didn't know that thx man! hahahaha and yeah it's my username