RGT42DXFMTLF review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42DXFMTLF

Purchased from: ebay

The guitar I have which I bought from ebay came with a DiMarzio tonezone which is a really nice pickup very warm, great harmonics and sounds great distorted though a little harsh on a clean channel.Any way I never used the inf 2 which I hear is not all that great, but I still have the inf 1 in the neck position which is ok but a little muddy, I am planning on getting irongear hotslag to replace it. The mahogany body and neckthrough design creates really good sustain and a warm tone and the 5 way pickup selector is a nice feature and makes the guitar very versatile for all different genres of music but the guitar is probably most suited to metal or hard rock.

Overall I think it is a really nice guitar it suits me perfectly I play lots of prog metal, thrash, death and neoclassical metal it suits them all quite nicely. I have been playing for 6 months but I know about guitars. I previously had a Ibanez dt120 which is ok but this is in a completely different league if it were stolen I wouldn't get it again as I would be looking for 7 string guitar. What I really like about the guitar is the low action, the overall solid feel to it and the way it sounds which is lets face it the most important part of any guitar. Great guitar for the money.

The guitar seems solid, it is a heavy guitar I would gig with it but would bring a backup just because of the tremelo. The tone knob is a bit tarnished I wouldn't replace it but I might sand it a little to get the tarnish off. My guitar came with schaller strap locks which are really useful. The finish seems fine maybe a bit dull in places but only by the pickups where it is hard to clean. I don't think the tremelo will last forever but that was kinda expected.

Seeing as I got my guitar from ebay it was perfectly set up the intonation was fine, in tune the action was very low. However I did have a problem with the pickup which fell into the body due to the nut being burred I had to find a nut to fit the pickup(difficult) and because I kept taking the strings on and off to get to the pickup they strings finally snapped (more problems) so I had to get another set of strings the new strings were of a different gauge so I had to reset the tremelo. The guitar has a nice flame maple finish (mine is the purple one which is quite rare)but where the 2 pieces of maple join together the finish is a bit off, the knobs are a bit tarnished but nothing major. Keep in mind this a second hand guitar.

The guitar is made from mahogany with a flame maple top, it is made in Korea but it seems to be pretty solid to me, it has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with deluxe Shark inlays, a Wizard 2 neckthrough, made from a 5pc maple/walnut a 5 way pickup selector for the inf 1 and inf 2, it also has a edge 2 locking tremelo.