RGT42DXFX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42DXFX

Purchased from: eBay

According to the Ibanez Wiki this model was made only in 2005 & 2006.

• Made in Korea (most likely South, though not specified).
  • Frets: 24 jumbo
  • Scale: 25.5"
  • Neck profile: Wizard-II
  • Construction: Neck-thru
  • Neck woods: Maple-Walnut 5-piece
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Body wood: Mahogany wing-body
  • Finish: Black Flat (BKF)
  • Neck Binding: White
  • Headstock Binding: White
  • Body Binding: None
  • Body Style: RG (flat top with typical body-contouring)
  • Bridge Style: Super beefy "basic" bridge, string-through-body. Without option of toploading. Individual string ferrules.
  • Passive pickups
  • 1 Volume
  • 1 Tone
  • 5-Way "blade" switch (N, N parallel, N+B, N+B split, B)
  • HH configuration
  • Ibanez INF-1 Neck
  • Ibanez INF-2 Bridge
  • Non-locking Ibanez tuners
  • Two-tone pearloid Ibanez Shark-Tooth Inlays
The hardware is "Powder Cosmo." Cosmo Black is awesome, but it corrodes quickly. This Powder Cosmo is not as "chrome-like," and thus is far more corrosion resistant. Not corrosion proof, but way better than Cosmo Black. (I bought this one used from Florida...). I had to put new knobs on the pots as the stock Ibanez units had become loose and would slip off. Added Schaller strap locks for safety. I string it with Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky (12-56).

I mostly play metal, and I keep this guitar tuned to B standard (BEADF#B, aka Baritone) and Drop A (AEADF#B). With the pickup height and string action set-up properly, there is no fret buzz and the stock pickups hold their own. Certainly better pickups would be in order if I were to gig or record, but these are sufficient for now. My signal chain from the guitar goes either direct to amp (Orange Micro Terror to a Marshall MG412B cab) or first though a Boss DS-1 or Jet City Shockwave Distortion. I have never heard this particular guitar be noisy. As far as tone, like I said, the pickups aren't holy grail awesome. They represent the mid and high end of the spectrum fairly well, but the low end could be tighter. The dry (acoustic) sound, though, is what you would expect from an 8lbs slab of mahogany and maple. Low end it definitely there, loads of sustain.

I bought this used, so I can't speak to the factory action, however the construction fit and finish looks very clean. All joints, corners, and angles look well made, assembled and finished. There are no gaps or holes filled with putty or paint to try to hide a sloppy build. Seems like a quality piece for an Asian build.

The flat black finish had been worn glossy where the picking arm is always laid across it, and this is a 10 year old guitar, and it still works flawlessly. It was a relatively upscale guitar, though not Premium or Prestige, but still like a 1200$ guitar in its time, so it has a super beefy output jack like on current Premium and Prestige models. I have had no issues with warping or the sound cutting out or any other signs of poor reliability. I'd say this thing would love to tour. I swapped out the strap buttons for Schaller strap locks as I never trust strap buttons. No matter how sturdy they are, if they aren't wide enough the strap will find a way to slip off the button.

I play metal, it's an Ibanez RG. It's a match made in heaven. I recently got an RGT42FX (the model that replaced this one) and it is also awesome. I'm super satisfied with this. I didn't ask any questions before buying as the product description and the internet told me what I needed to know. If it were stolen/lost, I would totally try to get one just like it to replace it.

I love just about everything about this guitar. I searched the internet to find an Ibanez RG neck-through with a fixed bridge (I'm not a tremolo guy) that came in black. There were a few options, but this model struck a chord (sorry, sad pun) immediately. There's nothing I'd say I hate about this guitar. My main dislikes are the white binding on the neck and headstock, and the Powder Cosmo hardware. I would have omitted binding entirely, and I would have finished the hardware in basic gloss black. But then it would be a perfect 10. Maybe an 11.

My favorite feature is the heel. That's why I started buying neck-though guitars. I have big hands (like meaty) so square heels (bolt on) and Les Paul style set heels dig into my palm when I go for the dusty end of the fretboard. This neck-through heel is even more "all access" than Ibanez' trademark AANJ. As I stated earlier, I searched the Interwebs to find RGT models with fixed bridges that came in black. Well along the way I toyed with the idea of maybe "settling" for a tremolo-equipped model. I also compared non-black models under the assumption I could always have it re-finished. Models such as the RGT6EXFX, RGT6EXFX2, RGT6EX, RGT6EX2, RGT42DXFM, RGT42FM, RGT42DX, and both RGT42FX models. I ended up buying this one as it was what was available.

Overall, if I were to sell this guitar for a sum of money, it would be to get a custom shop made to alleviate this model's shortcomings.