RGT42FX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT42FX

Price paid: C$ 390

Purchased from: Kijiji - Used

The guitar has an amazing sound, and with the 5 way selector, very versatile. It truly is a hard rock guitar, and that was what I got it for. Mostly lead playing on the very heavy side, with a needed crunch for rhythm. Shines at this, it does. I use it thru my Peavey Vypyr 30, with any and all effects. It has a full sound, but not too bright, so you do get a really meaty full tone. Not noisy at all, and this is to be expected of Ibanez, who has a much better quality curve than Gibson or Fender.

I have played for 30 years, and grew up on a heavy Les Paul tone and sustain. I later shifted to leaner necks for speed, and this Ibanez gives it all. I play mostly classic heavy metal, Sabbath, Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, but have broadened my horizons much in last 10 years. I have had played most mainstream makes and types of guitars, so I am fair judge of what is decent. This is a top notch guitar, and is right up there with Gibson and Fender for quality, and beats both in playability, for me anyway. Bottom line, if you are looking for an extremely fast neck, amazing sustain, quality construction, and a rich tone with passive pickups, this guitar is one of the best I've ever played, and is the best one I own overall. Outstanding!

I think that this guitar would be at least as durable as any on the market, at any price. It is put together perfectly, stays in tune forever (fixed bridge, which is why I wanted it), and just plain built to tour. The finish is a satin matte black, that will get a bit of a polished look to it after a while from wear, but it takes knocks well and doesn't show small pick scratches much. It would likely last a whole gig without being put down, given the variety and quality of sound and tone, but it is unprofessional to gig without a backup, period.

The guitar was bought used, so I don't know how it was from the factory, but again, Ibanez seems to have a much better quality curve than some of the other manufacturers. I have a chinese made Ibanez ART100 that is better than a $750 Epiphone, and it kills any Squier made. I would expect a near perfect setup at this price range (new about $700 Cdn). As for the quality of finish and manufacture of the guitar, it is awesome. It feels like quality from top to bottom, all features are finished very nicely, giving it a flawless appearance. Hats off to Ibanez again!

Got this guitar on Kijiji used for $390 with a nice strap and a shitty gig bag which I tossed. Guitar had a ding on the bottom rear edge near the middle that I repaired. Otherwise it was in awesome shape. This is a 2006 model I believe, made in Korea. It is actually the RGT42FXDX model, the DX indicating the deluxe Shark tooth inlays. Finish is Satin Matte Black Features: Neck: 5-piece Wizard II thru-neck NeckType: Wizard II (neck-thru) Body: Mahogany body Frets: Jumbo frets Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood Inlay: Deluxe Shark Tooth Bridge: Fixed bridge Neck Pickup: IBZ INF1 Bridge Pickup: IBZ INF2 5 Way Pickup Switch 1 Volume, 1 Tone Knob Hardware Color: PC This is a deluxe hard tail model, and was exactly what I was looking for, and got the Shark tooth inlays to boot!