RGT6EXFX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RGT6EXFX

I play mostly metal (thrash and some death), alongwith the occasional joe satriani, steve vai instrumentals and some punk. The EMG's are good for metal, but somewhat seem less bright for cleans.I know they are not single coils but still. I play through a Line 6 Spider III (yes I know it's not good but I had to make do). Sometimes with the right EQ I get a useable tone in the metal and insane channels. There is noise in the insane chanel with the gain on 5 and above, but I don't know if it is just the amp or the cable or the guitar. The pickups can accomplish reasonable clean sound but it's forte is metal.

For metal, this guitar is a good match. For the last 7 months this guitar has helped me to make music and I hope it can last forever. Right now I play it through a spider 3.If possible, I'll get better gear in the future. Other than this I have a Hobner 265 acoustic. It plays like a dream with the right strings and has been my friend for the last 7 years. If the RGT6EX is stolen, I'd buy a better guitar with a better trem. The EMG's are my favourite.They are the reason I chose this over the RG420, RG350 and ESP MH50. 1000 dollars... is almost Rs.47000, which is the price I paid. Honestly, the guitar is worth less, but the taxes on it increased the price.

I haven't used this live except in church, but I think it can hold up. I'm thinking about changing the Bridge but it will have to wait. The strap buttons are solid, they seem like they will last. I don't have another electric guitar so I'll just have to trust this one to last the gig if I do one. The finish is excellent, the only problem is that you can see your fingerprints, but a cloth solves them.

I bought it from the store so I don't know whether the store guy set it up or the factory. I had played it a few times and then only bought it. The strings had rusted and I asked them to change it which they did without any charge. The action was perfect according to me. I didn't notice any problems in the store but after I got home and played, the first string seemed to be lacking in sound when I downpicked, in comparison with the other strings. The tone knob was very loose and on the back of the body and on the headstock you could see the plastic covering with air bubbles in them. I took the guitar back to the store, and they resolved the tone control, but the 1st string still lacks the sound. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Of late, the screws in the pickups and the hardware on the Bridge have started rusting. I don't like this at all. Is there a remedy to fix this other than just painting it?

First off I'd like to state that the guitar I have is a RGT6EX and not the RGT6EXFX as I have given above. They didn't have the option so I had to give the closest model. I don't know the year it was made but it states on the headstock that it was manufactured in Indonesia. There are 24 frets (jumbo I think) on a 25.5 inch scale. I don't if its solid top or laminated but there is some kind of glittery coating. It shines in the light. The body and neck are made of mahogany, which makes it very heavy. It pains sometimes to stand and play. Plus the strap I have came free with the guitar, so it's quality doesn't exactly help my cause. The fretboard is made of rosewood. The body is super Strat style, the one that all Ibanez RG's come in. The Bridge is an Edge 3 i.e. a Floyd Rose. It was in tune for the first few months, but has now started going out of tune. I changed the strings from 09-42 to 10-46. The Bridge has since then gone up from the body. Do I need an extra spring to bring it back down? The pickups are active EMG 81 in the Bridge and 85 in the neck. There is one tone and one volume control. The volume control sometimes gets accidentally turned when I rest my palm against the bridge. This is one of the flaws, the knob is too close to the strings. There are three pickup configurations: Neck, both neck and bridge, and Bridge only. The tuners are Standard Ibanez locking tuners I presume. It was not mentioned anywhere whether they were branded or something. I got a gig bag, a cable(a cheap one), strap, a spring and some allen keys. None of the allen keys that I got fitted in the locking tuners, I had to go buy a set just to tune the guitar.

EMG85
    I'm having this guitar & i must admit that It Drives me Crazy. It RoCKzz.. \\m//
    d4nyb
    the guitar feels solid never comes out of tune even with straining bends and provding you dont knock the mahcine heads, the pickups are excellent very consistent and powerful, the only concern i have is the fret markers because they are at the low E string its kinda hard to find the frets high up the neck like around the 17th fret because they are quite far away from your fingers however you do adapt i would rate the guitar 8.5/10 just needs the locking nut and FR and i would give 9+
    IL Leone
    I was a EMG "hater" till about 3-4 yr's ago when I got a ESP Jon Donais Sig Dead cheap. In his guitars he likes the the 85 in the brg 81 in the nk. after equiping another guitar with the Zakk set I know why now,,, the 81 (to me) is tinny overly bright and a bit middy/nasal. i flipped, them, thick articulate tone again, love it so try that guys. Anyway I found one of these used in a shop,$400.It rocks! I will being selling something tomorrow!!